Dolphins after Jay Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins after Jay Williams

JimmyNock

Starter
Reaction score
I found this at ProFootball Talk

DOLPHINS CHASING JAY WILLIAMS

Try as we might to pry details out of Profootballtalk contributor Ron Del Duca, he's not saying much more about Sunday's upcoming meeting between himself, client Jay Williams, and Panthers bigwigs, G.M. Marty Hurney and coach John Fox.

So we put the moles to work on this one, and a league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins are hot on the trail of Williams.

According to the source, the Dolphins have offered a low-round 2003 drat pick in exchange for the veteran defensive end. The source says that, for now, the Panthers aren't interested in talking trade.

We'll be pestering Del Duca for details on the meeting -- and we'll be keeping our ear to the ground for more behind-the-scenes poop on possible suitors for Williams, if a deal ultimately can't be reached to reduce his $1.65 million salary for 2002

williams.....................

geez, were not gonna have any draft pics next year!:(

:monkey: on jay williams!!

We're gonna trade for his 1.65 million $ salary cap figure?? I hope its all signing bonus....

Nah I'm not buying into this one. Why would we go after Jay Williams with his salary # and Burnett when you could have Coleman for that same price. Just doesn't make much sense.

If that's his salary number than... our price we would pay for his services would have to be lower, as the original team has to take a salary cap hit, and absorb any remaining signing bonus. We would pay ONLY whatever BASE salary he is signed on for this season. But I would guess it to be less than one million...

So, basically it is an advantage to the Panthers if they are up against the cap and Williams refuses to restructure to trade him. Because if they are forced to cut him, they are going to take the same cap hit anyways... so they might as well get something out of the deal.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Nah I'm not buying into this one. Why would we go after Jay Williams with his salary # and Burnett when you could have Coleman for that same price. Just doesn't make much sense.

I think it's probably an either/or situation......

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
You can't have Coleman at the same price.

Originally posted by grooves12
But I would guess it to be less than one million...

/me coughs

Williams base salary is 1.65 million. That would be our cap number in any trade involving him. Burnett will probably cost us around 900k factoring in the signing bonus. That's 2.55 million. That is definately within Colemans #'s although we would have to carry that number for about 3 seasons compared to just one.

Hence why I scoffed at that report.

Thats not necessarily right either VanDolphan. I think you need to read the report a little closer. The report says that the Panthers would save a total of 1.65 million if they cut or traded him. That means that his base salary in all likelihood is even higher than that because remember that a guys salary cap for the year consists of base salary + this years signing bonus proportion. When you cut a guy, you subtract the base salary from your salary cap, but then you add all future years signing bonus proportions onto the figure, and you come out with his cap figure for being cut.

Right now he counts 2.55 million against the cap. If he's cut he counts 900k against the cap. That figure (900k) consists of this year's signing bonus, plus every other year's signing bonus divided by 2 because its after June 1st.

Sounds complicated? It is...because 900k = 2002-SB + 2003-200?-SB/2. If you do the algebra,

Z = Cap Hit for Cutting = 900k
Y = How Much Panthers Save to Cut = 1.65 mil
X = 2002 Cap Figure = 2.55 mil = Y + Z
U = 2002 Base Salary = ???
W = 2002 Signing Bonus Proportion = ???
V = 2003-200? Signing Bonus Proportion = ???

We know that X = U + W = Y + Z
We know that Z = W + V/2 = 900k
Therefore,
Unless his contract only runs through this year in which case V/2 = 0, then U (his 2002 base salary) would have to be higher than Y (how much the Panthers save if they cut him).

This lesson in algebra has been brought to you by the people for a fair and equal way to get Harbucks out of Southpark.

Burnett will be the man...

Dolphins | Still Talking to Brunett; Deal Coming? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
10:53 PT: The Sun-Sentinel reports the Miami Dolphins are still talking with free agent DE Rob Burnett (Ravens). They’re hopeful of finally working out a deal with him at some point this week.

Looks like Burnett will be our next Miami Dolphin. I'm glad. What he is, is a solid all around player that does the little things and provides leadership.

If he can stay healthy he can contribute as a role player.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think you need to read the report a little closer.

I think you need to read my post and the original posters post a little closer. If we were to trade for Jay Williams our cap hit would be exactly 1.65 million. We aren't talking about Carolina's cap hit at all.

Thats why I told you to read closer. If we were to trade for Jay Williams, our cap hit would NOT be 1.65 million. Our cap hit would most likely be bigger than that, as I showed with the formulas. When you trade for a guy you are responsible for his base salary. And through that extremely extensive algebraic demonstration, I showed that just because 1.65 million is the amount the Panthers would save if they cut him, it does not mean 1.65 million is his base salary and most likely it is more than that provided that he still has more than 1 year left under contract.

Back
Top Bottom