Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald

reshad is not a single high safety and tj doesn't give us anything for 8 games

does it improve the position depth though? yes it does week 9 or 10 and on

Reshad hasn't played single high, but he definitely could in a pinch. T.J McDonald didn't really play single high in St. Louis and I don't think Nate Allen did in Oakland either, but one of them will this season. It's not the hardest thing to do in football at the end of the day.

Reshad hasn't played single high, but he definitely could in a pinch. T.J McDonald didn't really play single high in St. Louis and I don't think Nate Allen did in Oakland either, but one of them will in the end.

Bushrod doesn't play LG, neither does Larson, but one of them will in the end . . .

This kind of logic doesn't fix the problem, it simply fills the position.

Reshad hasn't played single high, but he definitely could in a pinch. T.J McDonald didn't really play single high in St. Louis and I don't think Nate Allen did in Oakland either, but one of them will this season. It's not the hardest thing to do in football at the end of the day.

any scheme that runs interchangeable safeties has had aeither safety in single high at some point...doesn't mean it's playing to a strength or they are good at it

At least our safeties will be good in run support :lol:

Are you aware that Miami signed a good safety a few weeks ago???

I think he's aware of Allen just doesn't consider him a good safety. Mcdonald is a way better player IMO. I'm really hoping that 8 game suspension will be reduced.
Come on Goodell. Wasn't it his first DUI?
Not that that's a good thing but change your name to stallworth and go run some people over in Miami Beach. You'll get 30 days in jail like regular people do lol
We'd be in jail for 10 years

Bushrod doesn't play LG, neither does Larson, but one of them will in the end . . .

Can't fix all of your personnel problems with studs, on some positions you have to take risks. Talent prevails in the end, and T.J is a gigantic boost to our safety's in that area without a doubt. Laremy Tunsil didn't play LG at Old Miss for 4 years, but he was awesome at LG in the NFL for us last year for 1 simply reason, pure talent.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

any scheme that runs interchangeable safeties has had aeither safety in single high at some point...doesn't mean it's playing to a strength or they are good at it

I agree they are not ideal FS's, ideally they are both strong. But I know Nate Allen from his days in Philly, and believe me, he's never been that good. Even though T.J is truly a SS, I would bet he has a higher ceiling than Allen at FS due to his talent, and I think our FO agrees.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

At least our safeties will be good in run support :lol:

As bad as our run D has been, is this a bad thing?

Good signing, we get a young, good player on the cheap.

I could see him apealing his suspesnion to reduce it to 4 games.

The NFL's substance abuse policy is complete bull**** to begin with, considering the "nature of the beast" is what gets these guys hooked on prescription drugs to begin with.

This makes no sense. Why sign a guy for 16 games when he'll miss 8?

We signed him for the veteran minimum and he is a quality NFL starting safety.

8 games of a quality NFL starting safety for the veteran minimum is a good deal when you factor in that guys are gonna get hurt and we only have one quality NFL starting safety on the roster to begin with.

It's a one year minimum deal. The draft is next month. They might draft a true FS.

[video=youtube_share;2letGPIXKi8]https://youtu.be/2letGPIXKi8[/video]

Can't fix all of your personnel problems with studs, on some positions you have to take risks.

Free safeties are very important for the secondary, more important than the strong in fact. Box safeties really aren't worth their weight. Scheme should allow you to stop the run with your front 7 without the constant presence of an 8th man, especially in today's pass driven league where they are needed in coverage.

FS have to be smart presnap in correctly lining up the secondary and making the calls for the back 7, and they also have to have experience in recognizing route concepts and doing so very quickly. More so than that they have to range with very good cover skills and always take the right angles. The first traits a very important but are also null and void if the latter traits are not present b/c they have to be in position to make a play on the ball or player.

Awesome signing by the front office!! Always looking to get better!
Rookies are never guaranteed and you can't risk not having depth because you banked on a rookie coming in and making an impact his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We signed him for the veteran minimum and he is a quality NFL starting safety.

8 games of a quality NFL starting safety for the veteran minimum is a good deal when you factor in that guys are gonna get hurt and we only have one quality NFL starting safety on the roster to begin with.

Not only a quality starting safety but I think he could be a star safety. Dude has a ton of upside.

Back
Top Bottom