Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins agree to terms with TJ McDonald

James Walker‏Verified account @JamesWalkerNFL 17m17 minutes ago
Update on new #Dolphins safety T.J. McDonald, I'm told via source this is not a minimum contract, despite looming suspension.

Free safeties are very important for the secondary, more important than the strong in fact. Box safeties really aren't worth their weight. Scheme should allow you to stop the run with your front 7 without the constant presence of an 8th man, especially in today's pass driven league where they are needed in coverage.

FS have to be smart presnap in correctly lining up the secondary and making the calls for the back 7, and they also have to have experience in recognizing route concepts and doing so very quickly. More so than that they have to range with very good cover skills and always take the right angles. The first traits a very important but are also null and void if the latter traits are not present b/c they have to be in position to make a play on the ball or player.

Even if this is all true, how is signing T.J a bad thing? He's great depth at SS, and there weren't too many pure FS's on the market this off-season, who would you have signed? Obviously you want to go into the draft with as few holes on your roster as possible, and outside of Reshad and sadly Nate Allen none of our saftey's have proven the ability to play either SS or FS at a minimal NFL level. Our secondary needed more talent, losing IAQ hurt a lot and even he was probably better suited at strong than free.

Update on new #Dolphins safety T.J. McDonald, I'm told via source this is not a minimum contract, despite looming suspension.

better be near minimum for 8 games

:lol:

im sure there's fully guaranteed loot in there

Clean his self up? The guy went through the court system, completed a 3 month alcohol program, spent a month living in a residential drug treatment center, made restitution, completed 18 NA classes, performed 200 hours of community service, relocated across the country primarily for a change of environment, and he's been working on completing his 3 year probation with no signs of any issue. Not to mention, everything out of this guys mouth is exactly what you want to hear:

How much more does this guy have to do to be "cleaned up" from a single mishap?

I think what you meant to say was, hopefully he stays out of trouble.

I believe in 2nd chances. This is the kind of thing I think the NFL should reward and encourage. A reduction in his suspension would set a great example and show support for those who make mistakes in their life. Make it right, and we will support you.

Wow looks like we may be more committed than we thought. He has huge upside and hits hard!!
To think St. Louis had Janoris, Trumaine, Mcleod, and Mcdonald is a scary thought lol And still couldn't win.
Thank the football gods we didn't get Fisher like most wanted including me lol Love what Gase finally bringing to Miami

Three strong safeties on the roster, two with starting pay salary and now the 3rd on the depth chart is apparently making more than minimum. Neat.

any chance he wins an appeal? I think this is a 1st offense is it not? 8 games seems steep

I would say Jones, Allen and a 1/2 of season McDonald could be an upgrade of Jones, Abdul-Quddus and a 1/2 of season of Rambo. McDonald is no doubt an improvement over Rambo. The question if will Allen be an improvement over Abdul-Quddus? And if Miami drafts Lamp at guard it will be interesting to see if Tunsil, Lamp, Pouncey, Bushrod and james can equal the play of the o-line when healthy from 2016? A decent rookie at defensive end with Haynes, Branch, Wake and Fede should be an upgrade from 2016 too. The only position with less talent is defensive tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this interchangeable safety garbage, all the opposition has to do is run the ball with a smidgen of success (which they will vs our fronts attacking philosophy) and our defense is shot to ****.

As soon as we rock one of these safeties to the box, it takes our CBs press coverage off the table b/c we don't a a FS with range to cover from the MOF, and opens up a whole 'nother can of worms in secondary issues.

No sarcasm here....but reading your posts makes me wonder why you don't sign on to our defensive coaching staff....what you say makes sense and I wonder why nobody on our staff sees it that way...

I would say Jones, Allen and a 1/2 of season McDonald could be an upgrade of Jones, Abdul-Quddus and a 1/2 of season of Rambo. McDonald is no doubt an improvement over Rambo. The question if will Allen be an improvement over Abdul-Quddus.

Ya Jones just being back is going to help on it's own. He ironically got hurt once we started to win lol To do what we did with what we had was a sight to see. Cannot wait for Reshad back!!!
He was our best defender until he got hurt.
PHINS UP!!

No sarcasm here....but reading your posts makes me wonder why you don't sign on to our defensive coaching staff....what you say makes sense and I wonder why nobody on our staff sees it that way...

Thank you kindly, but I'm JAG whose happily retired with a lot of time on my hands to study football.

I have no issues with our offense now as it really is an excellent conceptually based system, but I don't get why we are doing these things defensively either. I hate our scheme, it's drives my ape****.

Back
Top Bottom