Dolphins are expecting 2014 third-round OG Billy Turner to be a starter next season. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins are expecting 2014 third-round OG Billy Turner to be a starter next season.

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins are expecting 2014 third-round OG Billy Turner to be a starter next season.

Turner, the 67th pick in last May's draft, was inactive for the first 14 games of his rookie season before playing 17 snaps in the season finale. The Dolphins used Turner at left guard in spring practices, but he was overtaken by Dallas Thomas and veteran Daryn Colledge. With Colledge a free agent and RG Mike Pouncey expected to move back to center, both guard spots are open.

Source: Miami Herald
Jan 22 - 1:01 AM

So I guess that leaves 1 guard spot open but i honestly liked Smith he seems like a good fit too, glad to see it seems they are moving on from Colledge.

what makes him a magical starter next year while he couldnt even dress this year...

Ooh now they wanna start turner. ****in philbin... NO you can't play son, your a rookie. Smdh

how can a starter next year not have dressed for 90% of the games this year. what will magically happen this offseason and if he becomes a great player next year didn't we waste an oppurtunity this year????

i really think he's gonna be a good player...best first 2 days of drafting this teams had that i can ever recall

how can a starter next year not have dressed for 90% of the games this year. what will magically happen this offseason and if he becomes a great player next year didn't we waste an oppurtunity this year????

Well it worked for Dallas Thomas.......

PEople keep asking about why he didn't dress....I'm pretty sure he was injured for a majority of the season and by the time he got healthy he was already several months behind the curve.

Most thought when he was drafted he would need time to develop his technique...he has the strength and attitude.

imo should have been the 2nd option at right tackle...work thru the kinks playing and by the end of the year the stretch run i think you would have gotten solid return...although starting two rookie tackles and not having it blow up in your face is very rare

will never understand why this kid didnt get run til week 17...

This strikes me as wishful thinking. If Turner couldn't beat out Dallas Thomas this past season and if he couldn't even make the active roster on game days as a backup, how can they project him as a starter next season?

This strikes me as wishful thinking. If Turner couldn't beat out Dallas Thomas this past season and if he couldn't even make the active roster on game days as a backup, how can they project him as a starter next season?

You could make the same argument with Jelani Jenkins.
Talent is talent. Some players just need to refine their game.

You could make the same argument with Jelani Jenkins.
Talent is talent. Some players just need to refine their game.

Nope...produce year one of get the **** out....**** development

what makes him a magical starter next year while he couldnt even dress this year...
Joe prefers to have some players wait and observe in their rookie season. It worked in Green Bay and why they have the highest percentage of drafted players on their roster in the NFL. Joe is more patient about developing his drafted players. You notice that guys like Jelani Jenkins and Lamar Miller got much bigger opportunities last season and did well. Even Dallas Thomas (who could be a dud) got his opportunity in year 2. Only the players who are ready or those drafted to cover needs eg Landry, James, Tannehill (he knew the system) get the opportunity as rookies. Joe is following the Packer formula in developing his rookies. The plan was probably for Billy to sit in year 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

There should be a backup plan, but sometimes "redshirting" is not a bad move either.

Back
Top Bottom