Dolphins can’t pass on Baker Mayfield

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ColoradoFin, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Well-Known Member

I found this interesting article on Mayfield. What are your thoughts if he is there at pick 11. The speculation is that the Broncos will go with Allen, the QB from Wyoming, and we would be up for the next QB:

Many mock drafts project quarterback Baker Mayfield will be available when the Dolphins pick in the first round. Miami would be crazy to pass on him.
    Anybody that knows football realizes that the quarterback position is the most important piece to building a championship team. While many people will point to the ‘final four’ in this year’s playoffs as proof that you don’t need a difference-maker at QB, that is a very myopic point of view.

If your team’s quarterback isn’t named Brady, (Eli/Peyton) Manning, Roethisberger, Rodgers or Wilson then your team hasn’t sustained success over the last five years.

Article link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phinph...dolphins-cant-afford-pass-baker-mayfield/amp/

2. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Should be Gase’s call and nobody else’s IMO Crazy to pass on him is also a little over the top for me.

We haven’t even got to the combine yet.

3. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Well-Known Member

I would LOVE BAKER MAYFIELD!!! This from the guy who loved BRADY QUINN & JOHNNY MANZIEL. Yeah, so there's that. :wall

ColoradoFin and psfign like this.
  4. psfign

psfign A True Fan

So you're saying Baker is sure thing to be a Brady, Manning etc etc? If the front office thinks so, go for it!

Michael Scott and ColoradoFin like this.
  5. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

If the team believes there is a QB in the draft that is worth picking at 11, I say pull the trigger.

6. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

I have no problem with a QB at 11 and I think Mayfield will be a good NFL QB, but there's a good chance the top 4 guys will all be gone by then. I really don't want to see another 7th round project with little chance of success for QB2, though.

Ray R and Michael Scott like this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I like Baker Mayfield a lot. Not every player I like a lot has to be a Miami Dolphin. If they pass on him, it is what it is.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  8. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

I would hate see Mayfield playing good for other team. and we are still at 6 to 8 win team every yr and people making excuse for 30 plus qb.

9. psfign

psfign A True Fan

I'd hate to see us continue a rotating door of QBS while some people making excuses for a bottom barrel OL.

Tailgun likes this.
  10. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't have a problem with Mayfield. We definitely need to add another QB and if the staff sees a great prospect at 11 it would be silly to pass on him when there's still a question about our starter.

Michael Scott likes this.
  11. jlfin

jlfin old pro

This organization has passed on Drew Brees (twice), Aaron Rogers and Matt Ryan.
    NO ONE knows if Mayfield will be a star, a bust or somewhere in between, but the same could be said for the names mentioned. No one can know for sure.
    However, if the Phins pass on him and he becomes an upper echelon QB, this forum will be full of people disparaging the FO for missing out on the obvious.
    Success has a thousand fathers, whereas failure is an orphan.

Michael Scott, Tureo and ckparrothead like this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I would just like to see another significant iron get put into the fire, one that I genuinely like and can get behind.

Whether that be acquiring Teddy Bridgewater via free agency, or drafting someone like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen, it doesn't matter too much to me. I could also get behind Lamar Jackson or Riley Ferguson.

I get less excited if we're talking about guys like Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Mike White, Chase Litton, Kyle Lauletta, Nic Shimonek, Brandon Silvers, Chris Streveler, Kyle Kempt, Dalton Sturm, Bryan Schor, Logan Woodside, or John Wolford...but at least you're rolling the dice.

Ray R, ColoradoFin and Birdmond like this.
  13. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Every franchise has passed on HOF QB's.

My personal opinion is that there are no sure things for this year's QB's in the draft. Each one has question marks and no one is head and shoulders above the rest. Roll the dice on someone in the 2-4 round but don't get suckered by the hype of the 4 names that are getting dropped for the top half of the first round. Besides, until Kirk Cousins is signed, the dominoes won't start to fall on who wants to move up or down in the draft to stockpile picks or go after one of the QB's.

Ray R likes this.
  14. jlfin

jlfin old pro

In response to your first sentence. Every team has come to regret it.
    No one knows who is over hyped until they get into the NFL.

Ray R likes this.
  15. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If Baker is there at 11, and Gase is sold, go ahead. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TRADE UP!

NBP81, Ray R and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  16. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

No need to trade up, there will be an impactful player available at 11, maybe even a surprise(cue the bong video)

Ray R likes this.
  17. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

One year I wanted Luke Kuechly and Nick Foles. Miami took Ryan Tannehill and Jonathan Martin.

As for the Mayfield comps, Brees and Wilson both had much bigger arms coming out.

I'll probably get it wrong but Baker looks like NFL over-hyped dramatic mediocrity.

Sounds like Miami at #11

outlawd2u likes this.
  18. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

DE@11 please.

19. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

So much of the process is still ahead of us. The combine and workouts. The interviews. The overanalasis of everyone. At this point i am not looking for a qb with 11 but that can change.

Ray R likes this.
  20. tunnicliffderek

tunnicliffderek New Member

no thanks on Mayfield. Rosen and Lamar are the top 2 QBs. Allen is probably 3rd. I want Lamar Jackson

21. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

It's a pipe dream to think that this team is going to take a QB in the first round as Gase is all in on Tannehill. That being said I wouldn't be too upset with a QB being taken at #11, but I don't want that QB to be Mayfield or Jackson.

22. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

This 100%. I just need to be exited about a move by my Dolphins.

Ray R likes this.
  23. Manning

Manning Scout Team

No thanks on Lamar unless it's with one of our 4rth rounders. I think Baker could be special. Guy has the drive for greatness

ColoradoFin likes this.
  24. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If they believe Tannehill is healthy, it would be crazy to use a 1st round on a QB, considering how many other positions are far more vital right now, like
    O-Guard...Passrusher...LB...TE...FS...WR (if Landry walks)...powerback...

I am sure they will fix a few of these in FA, but still to much of a luxury pick to use a 1st round on a QB. If a quality QB is still there late in the 2nd or 3rd, why not, but absolutely not 1st unless as Albert said, Gase decided he love the QB way to much to let pass.

Ray R likes this.
  25. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Mayfield has a better arm strength than Brees did coming out of college. Brees was more accurate. And I don't think Wilson's arm is far superior to Mayfield. Mayfield had a sneaky good arm and his arm strength is being downplayed. Combine should show his adequate arm strength.

26. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

The only thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned is that Miami has been stuck in neutral for so long the team needs to do something to jump start the team.

If they see Mayfield as an upgrade over Tannehill and potentially and elite quarterback then that's a move that makes sense.

27. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

The one move I don't want to see is Baker Mayfield to the Jets at 6.

Ray R likes this.