Dolphins Decline Lb Stephone Anthony’s Fifth-year Option | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Decline Lb Stephone Anthony’s Fifth-year Option

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
900125730.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Last season, the Dolphins sent a 2018 fifth-round pick to the New Orleans Saints, in exchange for former first-round draft pick, Stephone Anthony. Anthony had a limited role with the Dolphins, and finished the year with 15 tackles. It appears he showed enough promise in 2017 to warrant a role on special teams this year , in addition to added depth at the linebacker position. However, his future with the team became a bit more hazy on Wednesday, when the Dolphins declined to exercise his fifth-year option.
According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, Stephone Anthony is set to become a free agent in 2019.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/5...ecline-lb-stephone-anthonys-fifth-year-option

As a first round pick it must have been a decent chunk of change.

This shouldn’t be considered an unexpected move. The fifth year option is for players that excelled, met expectations for a first round pick, and the team is lucky enough to gain an extra year compared to later picks.

This is not that scenario. He was traded for a 5th round pick. Also many fans thought the pick we traded was a bit rich for Anthony. So this should not come as any surprise.

I’m not especially down on him as a player, but he is considered a bust.

Might be a motivator for the guy.
5th seems like a high price for a ST player

not a surprise on Anthony considering that price tag for that option.

Shows you how much a crap shoot the draft is. There were people here that wanted MIami to draft Perriman instead of Parker. And no I'm not confusing them with the Denzel Perryman crowd. Also Danny Shelton was being billed as the next big thing at defensive tackle and Malcom Brown was going the cause nightmares for the DOlphins for a decade. SHelton and Brown are solid players but no where near what they were thought to be. Another name that should be on the above list was Bears' receiver Kevin White, I'm sure Chicago declined the option too.

If Anthony has a decent year, even in a backup role, I wounldn't be shocked if Miami let him hit free agency but offer him a more reasonable cheaper deal.

He was a first round pick? wowza

I don't even like that we gave up a fifth for him nevermind a first

This is a non story. Who pays 9 million for 5th rounders, that's our investment. I think they should evaluate at the end of the season. If the kid is ever going to play well it will be now because he's basically in a prove it year. We've upgraded our talent at LB so he's not going to get too many snaps to show that he belongs.

I agree. Not a big story. We were never going to pick up that option. He may be out of the league after this year.

This shouldn’t be considered an unexpected move. The fifth year option is for players that excelled, met expectations for a first round pick, and the team is lucky enough to gain an extra year compared to later picks.

This is not that scenario. He was traded for a 5th round pick. Also many fans thought the pick we traded was a bit rich for Anthony. So this should not come as any surprise.

I’m not especially down on him as a player, but he is considered a bust.
Let me question this logic with Devante Parker. I think you’re right, but I’m not sure what the dolphins brass thinks exactly. Anthony and Parker seem on the same path, except honestly Anthony might fill a bigger need, and has shown more in his career. :confused:

Let me question this logic with Devante Parker. I think you’re right, but I’m not sure what the dolphins brass thinks exactly. Anthony and Parker seem on the same path, except honestly Anthony might fill a bigger need, and has shown more in his career. :confused:
I accept the challenge.

So I will need to make an amendment to my original position. If the player is at a position that is considered expensive or the player has rare skills that are not easily replaced (i.e. Parker’s height/jump ball high point ability) then you go through the motions of accepting the fifth year option and rescind it if necessary. I could see Parker have his bust out year, stay healthy, and get a 1000+ yards and double digit TDS.

I do not think Anthony provides that same special ability. Obviously he has some ability since he was coveted enough to give up a draft pick for, but I don’t think his skills fall into the same rarity/special abilities category that Parker’s do.

With all that said, I still do not believe Parker is guaranteed that fifth year money for anything besides (injury or) a breakout season, much in the same way that I was surprised that the Phins were willing to pick up Ja’waun James’ option.

We have had way too many OK first round picks. I guess it’s an improvement on near perennial busts...

I accept the challenge.

So I will need to make an amendment to my original position. If the player is at a position that is considered expensive of the player has rare skills that are not easily replaced (i.e. Parker’s height/jump ball high point ability, then you go through the motions of accepting the fifth year option and rescind it if necessary. I could see Parker have his bust out year, stay healthy, and get a 1000 yards and double digit TDS.

I do not think Anthony provides that same special ability. Obviously he has some ability since he was covered enough to give up a draft pick for, but I don’t think his skills fall into the same rarity/special abilities category that Parker’s do.

With all that said, I still do not believe Parker is guaranteed that fifth year money for anything besides a breakout season, much in the same way that I was surprised that the Phins were willing to pick up Ja’waun James’ option.

We have had way too many OK first round picks. I guess it’s an improvement on near perennial busts...
Yeah I wasn’t aware that they could rescind it after the season. If that’s the case then it makes more sense, but what’s the point then? Just to give DvP a vote of confidence?? I guess he IS the type of player that needs that. He seems to lack confidence in his skills on his own.

Back
Top Bottom