Dolphins Decline Lb Stephone Anthony’s Fifth-year Option | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Decline Lb Stephone Anthony’s Fifth-year Option

To be completely honest, until this scenario panned out, I had wondered why any team wouldn’t take on the fifth year option given that any player can have it taken away. But it does make sense if you look at Ryan Shazier’s situation. He was arguably the best at his position, got the option year, and then gets hurt before that option kicks in. He may never play again. It’s an awful situation and I do pray for him. But at least he got next year’s salary guaranteed for injury. It’s going to help with his recovery and continuing to enjoy life. So for it’s flaws, it still has had positive impacts in the league.

To be completely honest, until this scenario panned out, I had wondered why any team wouldn’t take on the fifth year option given that any player can have it taken away. But it does make sense if you look at Ryan Shazier’s situation. He was arguably the best at his position, got the option year, and then gets hurt before that option kicks in. He may never play again. It’s an awful situation and I do pray for him. But at least he got next year’s salary guaranteed for injury. It’s going to help with his recovery and continuing to enjoy life. So for it’s flaws, it still has had positive impacts in the league.

Even if Shazier can’t play again I promise you Pittsburgh will keep him on aw a coach/assistant in some capacity. So yes he’s getting paid millions this year, and will probably still get a nice salary for that next chapter in his life.

I think the difference between Anthony and Parker is the F.O. still believe Parker can become a player that represents his Draft status where as they probably view Anthony as only the value they gave up for him. I'm good with this choice as I am good with the choice to pick up the option on Parker.

A good takeaway to all these guys (many who were pretty hyped or posted great combine numbers) not having their 5th year option picked up is that there is no Sure Thing in the draft. Everyone (including the Pats) misses at times, and we have some unreasonable expectations for some of our picks - insta starters, pro bowlers etc. Fitz may not be the next coming of Reed nor Gesick of Keith Jackson.

Stephone Anthony was essentially the Dolphins 5th round Draft pick, because of the trade. While he failed in New Orleans, he still has a chance to contribute for Miami. If you look at it objectively, Anthony is still pretty good value for a 5th round pick. No - because of his underperformance, he's not worth the $9M for a 5th year option, but he still has a decent chance to make our team.

I mean he’s a good runstopper, hope he’s on the team at least this year

If anything it sends a clear message to him to earn his next contract.

Is he even going to be in the league this year after his release? Hated we gave up a draft pick for him.

Remember why we traded for Anthony. We were in desperation mode when the season starts and Timmons is a no show soon after McMillan is hurt. So yes we overspent but at least we didn't sign a overweight out of shape slow linebacker. Oh wait. Did Rey Maualuga even play a snap?

I'm not upset that Anthony cost us a 5th rd pick. I'm upset that it took most of the season to get on the field

Have to admit this is on acquisition last year I seriously disliked (giving up the comp).

I hope he proves me wrong. But not too $$ much!

Remember why we traded for Anthony. We were in desperation mode when the season starts and Timmons is a no show soon after McMillan is hurt. So yes we overspent but at least we didn't sign a overweight out of shape slow linebacker. Oh wait. Did Rey Maualuga even play a snap?

I'm not upset that Anthony cost us a 5th rd pick. I'm upset that it took most of the season to get on the field
Hey played some snaps, eventually looked ok, and then beat up a bartender over a $2.65 tab.

Back
Top Bottom