Dolphins' ESPN Review out Tuesday | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' ESPN Review out Tuesday

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins off-season review by ESPN is due out Tuesday. It really needs to be after June 1, to see what happens in the Griese deal.

I doubt there will be anything much new that we haven't already read and discussed ad infinitum. They will likely repeat a lot of the same issues they have already written about - or that the So Fl press has. They'll talk about questions at LT, WR, backup QB. They'll say which rookies the coaches seem to like and they'll question Seau's ability to add anything (ESPN has been skeptical of Seau's abilities since the trade).

It will still be nice just to have something more to read and we might pick up a tidbit, here or there (May and June are the two worst months for a football fan - the Memorial and the US Open are the only two things that get me through it! ;)

Nevertheless, I've found that those of us on the "boards" have a much better grasp of the team and it's strengths and weaknesses than virtually any national media outlet. Don't you agree?

It may not be anything new but still man just look at it. It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling reading it.

Heck man look at the balance sheet. Is their a team in the NFL who lost so little, and gained so much via free agency and the draft?

ADDITIONS:
Free agents -- LB Junior Seau (Chargers), WR Derrius Thompson (Redskins), CB Terrell Buckley (Patriots), TE Marco Battaglia (Steelers), DT Jeff Zgonina (Rams), KR Charlie Rogers (Bills), S Sammy Knight (Saints). Brian Griese (Broncos).
Draft picks -- No first-rounder. 2. OLB Eddie Moore (Tennessee); 3a. OT Wade Smith (Memphis); 3b. OG Taylor Whitley (Texas A&M); 5a. TE Donald Lee (Mississippi St.); 5b. WR J.R. Tolver (San Diego St.); 6a. Corey Jenkins (South Carolina); 6b. OT Tim Provost (San Jose St.); 6c. CB Yeremiah Bell (Eastern Kentucky); 7. DT Davern Williams (Troy St.).

SUBTRACTIONS:
WR Dedric Ward (Pats), LB Twan Russell (Falcons), OG Jim Bundren (released), OG James Wagstaff (released), WR Joey Getherall (released), CB Ray Green (Giants), WR Albert Johnson (Jets), TE Desmond Clark (Bears), TE Jed Weaver (49ers), OT David Sherrod (released), DT Jermaine Haley (Redskins), QB Ray Lucas (released). Derrick Rodgers (trade/release)

I added in some names that'll be on the final balance sheet I think. OG is still up in the air but if he doesn't get much more play, he'll prolly end up back here to tell you the truth.

I mean just look at that balance man. We didn't gain the MOST in free agency, but we probably lost the LEAST in free agency and we gained a pretty moderate amount of talent man. And best of all we'll have fixed the single position MOST responsible for us not making the playoffs...backup QB.

CK,

Excellent thoughts on the balance sheet. I did my own depth chart last week and feel the same way. I would add to that the improvement and confidence of Robert Baker and the addition of Kendall Newson and LeManzar Williams. What they are doing in NFLE will make them much more competitive than otherwise. Even though the competition isn't as great, they will have greater confidence and this is especially helpful in the KR/PR area - that experience those guys are getting is invaluable. Should add some great competition.

The one area of weakness (aside from the late season mental collapses) the article noted was at WR. But, I think we will actually be improved over last year - with our without OG. With OG, we replace Ward with Thompson (huge improvement, imo) and the #5 guy will be much better, even if it's still Baker (as he'll be better overall). Without OG, I still think we may be even better, especially if Tolver can be slightly productive.

It is obvious that Miami's only weakness is the passing game. Whether you blame Fiedler, the WR's, Lucas, the O-Line.... the passing game is the missing link.

WannSpiel has (June 2nd?) strengthened the QB spot by subtracting Lucas. He was soo maligned after his stint that there is no way he could've produced for Miami this year if he was still with the team.

WannSpiel has strengthened the Depth at O-Line, while still missing a cornerstone in a proven LT. I believe Dixon can be a good LT with training camp (plus all last year) to develop, however he has an injury history. The back-ups are all rookies or guys with very limited experience. The O-Line can run block, but for Ricky Williams... come on... they need to excell at Pass Blocking to be concidered an excellent O-Line.

WannSpiel has improved the WR's... but, again, it is with unproven youth and potential.

If Turner, Wanndstedt, and Spielman can turn this mish-mash of Questionable talent (offensively, minus R.Williams) into a Super Bowl champion this will forever be declared a brilliant 2 year experiment. The foundation was laid last year with Turner/R.Williams. This year it has been molded and prepared.

Through my Aqua and Orange Glasses everything looks good.

T$

One Question,

Name one postiion Tampa Bay was better than us on the offensive side.

I can't think of any. :confused:

I believe our defense will be so Dominant, and with a strong running game will be fine. :allhail:

My only worry is those late season colalpses. :shakeno:

In the words of MLK" I have a dream" Phins hoisting the Lombardi!!!!:rocker:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by TeeMoney
It is obvious that Miami's only weakness is the passing game. Whether you blame Fiedler, the WR's, Lucas, the O-Line.... the passing game is the missing link.

I like the group of wr's that the Phins have brought in this season !! R Baker R Bellamy, J Fryzel, M Hooks, K Newson, * C Rogers, S Simmons, D Thompson, J R Tolver, along with C Chambers, J McKnight....

I think that the wr core will be vastly improved from last season !! The talent at this position is probably the best since D Shuls was the Head coach .....:D Marino1983

Originally posted by zonk39
One Question,

QB: Brad Johnson
3rd WR: Joe J. I still think Joe really did the job for these guys in the end and made this offense dangerous.

Van,

I disagree with you. I don't believe Johnson is better than Fiedler.
They are two better than average QB's with different tools.

I give you Joe J., he stepped it up in the post season.

I would never call thier offense dangerous, I would call them adequate.

Player to player this years team on paper is stronger on defense and offense. Name TB's SS, he was traded, Other than Sapp the rest of thier DL is better than average. LB's are a push.

QB's push
RB's RICKY
WR's Dolphins by a smige
OL's Dolphins bt a smige

The key Coaching- TB by a lot!

Originally posted by zonk39
One Question,

Just one reason the Bucs offense improved,,, John Gruden !!!!!

Marino1983

Also #1 WR. MeShawn Johnson.

Also Brad put up 22TD's and 6 Int's with a 92.9 rating. So while their offense wasn't potent they didn't make mistakes either.

That means adequate.

and Meshawn is not better than OG. He's a big, slow possession style receiver with a big mouth. Has never lived up to all the self-proclaimed HYPE.

You'd think Keyshawn and Sapp were related..

Talk talk talk and put up adequate numbers..

Tampa Bay has one position on offense better than us....Wide Receiver....Keyshawn Johnson (pro bowler), Keenan McCardell (probowler), and Joe Jurivicious. They have the better WRs no question about it.

Back
Top Bottom