Dolphins Final Cuts | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Final Cuts

Sateles contract is fully guaranteed even with pouncey back whenever that is you keep him as insurance

8/2/2014: Signed a one-year, $2 million contract. The deal contains $250,000 guaranteed. 2014: $1.25 million (+ $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: Free Agent'

Satele signed a very strange contract, which I had not seen before. Only $250K is guaranteed. The balance is paid on a per game basis @ $750K for each but, he has to be on the game active squad to get paid. This is why I was almost certain that we would keep Brenner.

EDIT- sorry, it's $75K per game. Roto and OTC had the same $750K, and I followed without thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the investments we made, id hope to god we'd be improved. If we hadnt then we'd be in some really deep ****.

...but simply improving wasnt enough. The question isnt whether we got better(and given our line last year pretty much any move we'd make would make it better) but whether its fixed. And its not. At least not enough to go up against the Chandlers Jones and Vince Wilfork, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams, Dontari Poe and Justin Houston, DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller, Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil, Ndamukong Suh and Ezekiel Ansah, and etc, etc, etc. That Suh one especially worries me, given how McCoy ate our line alive during the preseason.

I cant argue that our line is better(read: assuming Albert stays healthy and Pouncey returns healthy). But the improvements we made didnt close the gap with the talent on the teams we will be lining up against. Like i said, other years this line might have sufficed. But we are in for a gauntlet of fierce defensive fronts. I expect 40 sacks on the season and that number only goes up(drastically) if we suffer an injury or lose a player for some other reason.

I think the run blocking will be poor, but I legitimately see some reason for optimism with the line. Shelley Smith is a good run blocker, as is Mike Pouncey. Billy Turner is a man who can knock people off the ball. I think there is major upside if Pouncey can get healthy and Turner can develop enough consistency to get both of them out on the field after the bye.

darkwa looks about as run of the mill as they come to me at running back in this rams game...upgrade that please

why would hickey be gone of we dont make the playoffs?

this team STILL needs another year of GOOD talent to be a real bonafide playoff contender. and i dont want to hear about last year as EVERY team was heading towards the playoffs until this happened or that happened, early in the year, middle of the year, whatever.

we missed the playoff last year because we didnt win enough games and the reason for that MOSTLY was lack of talent.

some really good players have been added this year. we had a 3-1 pre season because FINALLY we have some young depth that can actually play. how many years have we seen over and over that after the starters were out, things went down hill VERY FAST!! teams like the bucs backups ate our backups alive!!

not now. hickey has done an excellent job of getting us promising young talent in the draft and ufa. plus, he is known as a easy guy to work with. he is adaptable, a people person AND a gm who strives to innovative and on the cutting edge whenever he feels he can be. he is stuck in nothing. if it works or looks like the next thing, he gets in on it and tests it out. what more can you ask of a gm?

so, why all this talk of getting rid of hickey if the playoffs are missed [i am one who feels we just dont have the horses yet to win the division AND make the playoffs]. hickey has NO part in everything that has led up to the demise of this team over the last 20 years and i doubt he is on any hot seat with his first year unless his picks all went bad and the ufa's were busts. but, we now know that to be the opposite.

IF philbin is booted, [we would have to have an AWFUL year for that to even happen] and harbaugh [wont come here] was brought in, why in the world would he complain about a guy like hickey as the GM? and besides, the gm picks the coach [or has a huge say] not the other way around.

hickey has shown NOTHING so far as being anything but a budding star in the gm ranks. long way to go for sure, but, EVERYONE but me and i think ONE other guy on this board were stoked when he was hired. i know most wont, but the rest of you guys who were dead set against hickey and believed all the he was a last ditch effort, last in line, only guy who would take the job bull crap have to admit he has been way over your expectations.

and i know there are those holding their breath and praying to the great head of cabbage that he and philbin are gone after the season but it isnt going to happen. gm's like hickey who are not ego mongers and its all about me types dont come around often. coaches want to work with a gm who is adaptable and sees the big picture AND, MOST OF ALL, brings in real talent.

so dont hold your breath's to long, things go dark real quick.

darkwa looks about as run of the mill as they come to me at running back in this rams game...upgrade that please

Yeah, darkwa is kind of the guy that can only get what the defense gives him, but he won't make to many mistakes either.

Nothing special, nothing terrible, that's Darkwa..

There's a good handful of options out there to replace him, I expect we will.

You say that like Coyle is buddy ryan, but regardless of how good a coach he is I agree that there's no question we're one great player inside at lb or s away from being a substantially better D. That's the missing piece and was my biggest want from this off-season.

I would have agreed and would not have thought Coyle was anything special until I started delving into the numbers...

Top 10 in scoring defense the past 2 seasons. Only 3 teams didn't manage at least 10 wins in that time:
1. Pittsburgh 8-8
2. Miami 8-8
3. Miami 7-9

Only 4 teams failed to reach the playoffs with a top 10 scoring defense:
1. 2012 Chicago 10-6
2. 2012 Pittsburgh 8-8
3. 2013 Miami 8-8
4. 2012 Miami 7-9

*Miami was the only team that failed to reach the playoffs with a top 10 scoring D in 2013.

If I asked you to list the teams in the top 5 over the past 2 seasons in scoring D you'd probably rattle off 15 teams before thinking of Miami. surprisingly they are:
1. Seattle
2. San Fransisco
3. Cincinnati
4. Carolina
5. Miami

In 2013 they were ranked 4th in opposing offense passer rating.

And unlike all of those other teams he's doing it without an offense to help protect him. Most of those other teams have an offense built to run the ball or they have a great QB or they have both. Not us, our offense was bound to help their offense more than our own defense. This is a projection but I think as soon as our offense gets us a nice lead (if ever) you'll see a lot more exotic blitzes and creative fronts, like we had a glimpse of at the end of the Cleveland game.

And on top of all that look at what he's had to work with. Sean Smith as his starting CB and I don't even remember who started opposite him. Patterson was garbage before we got him and he looked like an all pro when healthy last season. We plucked a player off another teams practice squad and just days later he's helping us in a crucial win.

Coyle may not be Buddy Ryan yet but imo he does have some impressive accomplishments to this point.

They wanted Shazier and he was gone when our pick came on the clock.

LINK?

not saying its true or not, but, if you have a link with someone FROM THE TEAM confirming, i wouldnt mind seeing that. gm's usually are not real big on on telling people what they would have done or wanted to. but a link would be cool, that would definitely tell a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only player I hated seeing get waived today was Hazel. Hopefully we get him back. Most teams are going to be concerned with getting back a lot of the players they cut for their practice squads too.

Only player I hated seeing get waived today was Hazel. Hopefully we get him back. Most teams are going to be concerned with getting back a lot of the players they cut for their practice squads too.

Exactly. When drafted I thought it would be an uphill battle to make it due to numbers. He is an ideal WR prospect to develop so I expect someone to put in a claim for him.

Agreed

BwUHWaUCcAEJx3Y-1.jpg

Props to Daytona for keeping us all informed today........thanks.

:brewskis:

LINK?

not saying its true or not, but, if you have a link with someone FROM THE TEAM saying that, i wouldnt mind seeing that. gm's are not real big on on telling people what they would have done or wanted to. but a link would be cool, that would definitely say a lot.

FWIW, I do recall speculation from the media and unnamed sources on wanting Shazier but, no one from the team is going to say that.

why would hickey be gone of we dont make the playoffs?

this team STILL needs another year of GOOD talent to be a real bonafide playoff contender. and i dont want to hear about last year as EVERY team was heading towards the playoffs until this happened or that happened, early in the year, middle of the year, whatever.

we missed the playoff last year because we didnt win enough games and the reason for that MOSTLY was lack of talent.

some really good players have been added this year. we had a 3-1 pre season because FINALLY we have some young depth that can actually play. how many years have we seen over and over that after the starters were out, things went down hill VERY FAST!! teams like the bucs backups ate our backups alive!!

not now. hickey has done an excellent job of getting us promising young talent in the draft and ufa. plus, he is known as a easy guy to work with. he is adaptable, a people person AND a gm who strives to innovative and on the cutting edge whenever he feels he can be. he is stuck in nothing. if it works or looks like the next thing, he gets in on it and tests it out. what more can you ask of a gm?

so, why all this talk of getting rid of hickey if the playoffs are missed [i am one who feels we just dont have the horses yet to win the division AND make the playoffs]. hickey has NO part in everything that has led up to the demise of this team over the last 20 years and i doubt he is on any hot seat with his first year unless his picks all went bad and the ufa's were busts. but, we now know that to be the opposite.

IF philbin is booted, [we would have to have an AWFUL year for that to even happen] and harbaugh [wont come here] was brought in, why in the world would he complain about a guy like hickey as the GM? and besides, the gm picks the coach [or has a huge say] not the other way around.

hickey has shown NOTHING so far as being anything but a budding star in the gm ranks. long way to go for sure, but, EVERYONE but me and i think ONE other guy on this board were stoked when he was hired. i know most wont, but the rest of you guys who were dead set against hickey and believed all the he was a last ditch effort, last in line, only guy who would take the job bull crap have to admit he has been way over your expectations.

and i know there are those holding their breath and praying to the great head of cabbage that he and philbin are gone after the season but it isnt going to happen. gm's like hickey who are not ego mongers and its all about me types dont come around often. coaches want to work with a gm who is adaptable and sees the big picture AND, MOST OF ALL, brings in real talent.

so dont hold your breath's to long, things go dark real quick.

Hickey has impressed considering he came from the lowly Bucs was about to be fired and was like our 5th choice. But you know what I DONT care I just want better on our team and if thats Hickey over Ireland thats fine with me. Glad to be wrong. I want better players, coaches the whole nine yards so we can get out of this medocre win some loose some mode since Shula left. Still not sold on Philbin after last years locker room event that he was unaware of and Philbin wanting to retain Sherman and a couple of other coached not getting the job done, hope Philbin fools me too.

Back
Top Bottom