Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry

I hear you but Ravens receiving core is pitiful- that want him
or Lee or etc. fits right in with Flacco and his short passing game.

They’d want him cause he’s durable and he produces every week. That kids game is lock step with what the ravens want. That would be basically their Anquan boldin.

If I’m the ravens I’m tired of failing in the draft at wr

The list sucks, especially the WR list that will probably hit the market unless some other vets get cut. The next year WR is loaded unless they get locked up.

If it’s loaded they will get locked up. They always do

Not many 26 year old top shelf proven WRs gonna hit the market unless they got skeletons

It’s basically 3 WRs at the top and ones has extensive foot issues and medical and inconsistent production as a result and the others coming off an acl

And then there’s juice. No medical consistent production shows up every week and plays like every down is his last

Its a very weak WR FA group which could help MIA if they want to trade him in the end, but again I think it has to be a team with plenty of picks and the compensation back to MIA must be reasonable on their end.

Exactly, if someone wants Landry then give us a good pick. If not we'll keep him then next season when Suh's cap hit and Landry's cap hit are minmal again we'd have way more money to play with.

Don't see many FAs worth the time tbh..Anyone got a list?
Lamarcus Joyner would be amazing. He is the FS we need and also see time at slot corner. Versatile. Ansah is gonna get paid but I'm not overpaying for him. Other then that there's not much

I'd like to have someone explain to me how the Dolphins can trade him after they tagged him. It is my understanding that once a player is non exclusively tagged the player and his agent have the right to seek a contract from other teams. If they find a team, the Dolphins have a right to match the contract or recieve 2 1st round draft picks from the team signing their franchised player. The Dolphins have until July 15th to sign Landry to a long term contract, if not, he plays 1 year for the Dolphins at about 16 million for the 2018 season. I could see if the player was exclusively tagged where the Dolphins had total control of Landry forcing Landry to accept a contract in order to be traded but that's not what the Dolphins did here. They non exclusively tagged him, giving Landry and his agent some leverage to negotiate with 31 other teams.The rule didn't say that the Dolphins can trade a franchised player, only that they receive 2 original first round draft picks if they loose a player and the 2 1st round picks must be the acquiring teams picks not picks they received in trade ( like the Browns 4th pick overall). So again, my question is how can the Dolphins trade Landry for less? My understanding is that the options they have are:

1. Landry and agent find a team willing to sign him to a log term contract and then give the Dolphins their 2 first round picks.
2. The Dolphins signing Landry to a long term deal by July 15th
3. Landry playing under the tag for 2018 at 16 million
4. Dolphins rescinding the tag and get a conditional pick in 2019 so long as they don't do more FA additions then cuts.

Again, how does it happen where Landry can be traded?

I'd like to have someone explain to me how the Dolphins can trade him after they tagged him. It is my understanding that once a player is non exclusively tagged the player and his agent have the right to seek a contract from other teams. If they find a team, the Dolphins have a right to match the contract or recieve 2 1st round draft picks from the team signing their franchised player. The Dolphins have until July 15th to sign Landry to a long term contract, if not, he plays 1 year for the Dolphins at about 16 million for the 2018 season. I could see if the player was exclusively tagged where the Dolphins had total control of Landry forcing Landry to accept a contract in order to be traded but that's not what the Dolphins did here. They non exclusively tagged him, giving Landry and his agent some leverage to negotiate with 31 other teams.The rule didn't say that the Dolphins can trade a franchised player, only that they receive 2 original first round draft picks if they loose a player and the 2 1st round picks must be the acquiring teams picks not picks they received in trade ( like the Browns 4th pick overall). So again, my question is how can the Dolphins trade Landry for less? My understanding is that the options they have are:

1. Landry and agent find a team willing to sign him to a log term contract and then give the Dolphins their 2 first round picks.
2. The Dolphins signing Landry to a long term deal by July 15th
3. Landry playing under the tag for 2018 at 16 million
4. Dolphins rescinding the tag and get a conditional pick in 2019 so long as they don't do more FA additions then cuts.

Again, how does it happen where Landry can be traded?

It can be done, here is an article as an example. Landry has to sign the tag tender first which if he really wants out and the long term deal I would assume he would.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/04/kirk-cousins-franchise-tag-trade-free-agency-redskins

Here is another, which also points what I had posted previously about why I felt the Dolphins would be willing to possibly pay him 16m for one year but not the cheaper 14.5 long term type deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...t-heres-why-he-may-not-play-in-miami-in-2018/

Last edited:
It can be done, here is an article as an example. Landry has to sign the tag tender first which if he really wants out and the long term deal I would assume he would.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/04/kirk-cousins-franchise-tag-trade-free-agency-redskins

Here is another, which also points what I had posted previously about why I felt the Dolphins would be willing to possibly pay him 16m for one year but not the cheaper 14.5 long term type deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...t-heres-why-he-may-not-play-in-miami-in-2018/
Well by reading that last article you can see that they feel most teams would NOT wants to pay him #1 kind of money but of course all it takes is one team that really wants him. There's really almost nothing to gain for us to pay him the 16.2mill for one year and then lose him anyway. IMO, they will either trade him or they will take the tag off unless they can work out a long deal which now I don't believe they can because Landry will feel as if he should make a least 16mill a year. That's just the way I see it from here. There's only ONE reason they would want to keep him at 16mill for one year and that is the fact that Tanny's coming back and would want his safety net in place. I don't see any other reason to do it.

Ozzy rules!!

Well by reading that last article you can see that they feel most teams would NOT wants to pay him #1 kind of money but of course all it takes is one team that really wants him. There's really almost nothing to gain for us to pay him the 16.2mill for one year and then lose him anyway. IMO, they will either trade him or they will take the tag off unless they can work out a long deal which now I don't believe they can because Landry will feel as if he should make a least 16mill a year. That's just the way I see it from here. There's only ONE reason they would want to keep him at 16mill for one year and that is the fact that Tanny's coming back and would want his safety net in place. I don't see any other reason to do it.

Ozzy rules!!

Yes on one side of the coin to keep the WR room together and for Ryan’s return and comfort level, then you see how the year unfolds and how some guys perform and re address next year when you have cap space.

I think they prefer to move him, but not sure if the will/can in the end.

We
I just don’t understand it. Pay juice 4 and 58 and 32 guaranteed keep stills for another year and pick up dvps 5th year

I don’t care that we have that much money in wr these guys graded out pretty much tops on your entire team

And tannehill will get more out of dvp cause all the timing routes will be in play with him under center. He’s not bailing out first sign of color

And also folks what tight end in that class comes in and offsets losing juice from the get go? There’s no gronk waiting to crush the league from the get go.
I just don’t understand it. Pay juice 4 and 58 and 32 guaranteed keep stills for another year and pick up dvps 5th year

I don’t care that we have that much money in wr these guys graded out pretty much tops on your entire team

And tannehill will get more out of dvp cause all the timing routes will be in play with him under center. He’s not bailing out first sign of color

And also folks what tight end in that class comes in and offsets losing juice from the get go? There’s no gronk waiting to crush the league from the get go.

Exactly - all of this.
In addition, our cap situation greatly improves in 2019 when we can move from Alonso and Branch.

If the plan is RT17, let's provide him every opportunity to succeed. This means continuity at the WR position, a RB2 to compliment Drake and a TE to compliment Gray.
It's a year to year league - you will see a 2017 6-10 or 8-8 team make a playoff run in 2018. With 4-5 smart moves, that team can be MIAMI.

So 14.5 was too much to pay but 16 is fine.... ;)
They are going to end up with very little wiggle room to sign any good free agents...

The FO sucks. Yet another example of inept laziness not being proactive and getting a new deal done before the past season -- pay the kid and reward his efforts as opposed to the bonehead move (exactly like OV Lamarvelous Rishard Matthews etc.)! No. Do nothing and just play the crude fran tag card. Wow! Brilliant!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom