Dolphins Free Agent targets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Free Agent targets

Agreed on the draft angle... I think there are at least 3 (4 if you include Barton) very fine Centers in this year's draft. We could get our choice at #21, or the 3rd or 4th choice at #55.
Either way, we'd likely have a cheap Center for at least 4 years.
Your ahead of me on the draft research, can you tell me who's on your list so I can look them up?

Not to be Captain Obvious, but what Miami does with Hunt and Wilkins will tell us a lot.

If they keep both, and Williams, that does open up draft possibilities.

If the Dolphins lose Hunt, then it's hard to imagine not going offensive line in the 1st and maybe the 2nd as well.

It would be nice to be able to be flexible with that first rounder. Personally, I'd definitely like to add a pass rusher somewhere with Phillips and Chubb both coming back from injury.
Wilkins has maybe a 0.1% chance of being a Dolphin again next year. I just don't see his contract fitting into the long term plans of this team.

Bottomline, Wilkins doesn't get enough sacks to be worth what he's wanting to get paid. Someone with cap space will probably pay him close to what he wants but it won't be us.

Tell you what we CANT do. Mortgage future picks for this year. Terribly concerned Grier has a hot seat this year and may be willing to burn future picks this year in an effort to go for it now. Not saying going for it is bad, but a swing and a miss this year would be catastrophic for the franchise. Need to have a cool head and trade down, not up.
Man, I never even considered they would try something like this.

A horrifying thought.

Were losing so many players via FA you would think they would be looking at this offseason and next as a way to rebuild the foundation of the team with lots of young inexpensive talent.

Trading assets to try to win in 24/25 is crazy. We don't have a snow balls chance in hell of beating KC next year, they will be alot better then they were this year.

Reactions: MDK
Wilkins has maybe a 0.1% chance of being a Dolphin again next year. I just don't see his contract fitting into the long term plans of this team.

Bottomline, Wilkins doesn't get enough sacks to be worth what he's wanting to get paid. Someone with cap space will probably pay him close to what he wants but it won't be us.
I've come to agree with this, but you never know. Teams do overpay, but if teams are close to what Miami was discussing with Wilkins and his agent he could decide to stay in Miami.

is there any chance football will be like baseball where a number of free agents will be around when training camps are starting because they want more than anyone wants to pay and we can get someone good on a 1 year last minute deal?
and when that happens will we spend the last of our money on a bunch of nobodies and washed up guys to fill spots like my bluejays are? before the good guys sign with the teams that are already better than us?

I've come to agree with this, but you never know. Teams do overpay, but if teams are close to what Miami was discussing with Wilkins and his agent he could decide to stay in Miami.
If that is the case brother, how long does Miami keep the offer on the table, before going to plan B? :ffic:

is there any chance football will be like baseball where a number of free agents will be around when training camps are starting because they want more than anyone wants to pay and we can get someone good on a 1 year last minute deal?
and when that happens will we spend the last of our money on a bunch of nobodies and washed up guys to fill spots like my bluejays are? before the good guys sign with the teams that are already better than us?
There are always... always a few left-over players who'll work cheap. We got a few of them last year: Elliot, Van Ginkle, Chosen, Apple... all were ignored at the beginning of Free Agency and landed in Miami.
Sometimes these players work out very well; generally they are referred to as 'third wave' free agents.

We can't afford to over pay and that's what Wilkins seems to be looking for. We'll be fine and can put that money into other positions of need

Tell you what we CANT do. Mortgage future picks for this year. Terribly concerned Grier has a hot seat this year and may be willing to burn future picks this year in an effort to go for it now. Not saying going for it is bad, but a swing and a miss this year would be catastrophic for the franchise. Need to have a cool head and trade down, not up.

Man, I never even considered they would try something like this.

A horrifying thought.

Were losing so many players via FA you would think they would be looking at this offseason and next as a way to rebuild the foundation of the team with lots of young inexpensive talent.

Trading assets to try to win in 24/25 is crazy. We don't have a snow balls chance in hell of beating KC next year, they will be alot better then they were this year.
I think this is exactly what Grier will do. Grier can't build an o-line through the draft like other teams using mid-round picks and the occasional early pick and Free Agent; he likes to trade up in the draft and sign expensive, injury-prone FAs, wasting both draft picks and money. And at the end of the day, the line still sucks.

And, a bunch of his draft picks remain on the bench while overpriced FAs fill the starting roles. It doesn't help when the coaching staff won't let young players get in the game, so they have no idea if these guys are worth keeping or not. And, especially on offense, if your name isn't Hill, Waddle, Mostert or Achane, you probably won't see the ball. A Kelce-type TE would be a great addition to this offense, but they rarely target Smythe, so I can't see McDaniel changing his ways.

Grier was given the perfect opportunity to build a strong foundation when he gutted the roster for 2019 and accumulated a ton of draft picks. Sure, he found a few quality players, any GM can do that, but they're in the position they're in now because Grier sucks at building a team.

Personally, I have no faith in this regime to do what is needed to be a contender.

depends on Miami's priorities. If wilkins moves on AND Miami doesn't see DT as a top priority, yeah, wait to see what's left. IF OTOH, Miami wants a DT as a top priority, then, no, they won't wait. Bottom line is how bad do teams want a position and what cap do they have to chase the position.

I'd love for Miami to sign this kid. A young and up and coming safety.

That could be the advantage of letting Wilkins go. Miami could get a couple of players in free agency who are still ascending. Two needs for opening up another, I guess.

I'm definitely trying to look at it through the eyes of a trade, although it's really trading contracts. And, in Miami's case saving money.

Can't we sign him to a 6 or 7 year contract? He will be at least good at 35. Just spread the money accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom