Dolphins Have $4.8mm Cap Space Going to $23.3mm June 1, Next Year Down From ~$65mm to $35mm | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Have $4.8mm Cap Space Going to $23.3mm June 1, Next Year Down From ~$65mm to $35mm

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Here is the math they did with all the contracts and how the money was shoved around. They must have quite the accounting department. I am shocked they still have $4.8mm space as of right now after being $50mm in the hole and doing all of those deals. Basically they used a lot of next years cap space to fund this year, by structuring these deals to push stuff out until next year, or longer. Xavien Howard and Terron Armstead money is sticking around like a bad rash, sadly. Anyway the specific details of each deal in this article are pretty interesting with regards to how they were all structured, and the implications in terms of where the money falls, and getting out from under some of these deals if they player does not work out.

Last edited:
Wasn't this obvious?
if you knew the details of every single deal, and exactly what they did, and exactly where things stand this year and next year, you have some pretty good sources, or work for their front office in the aforementioned accounting department! wonder if they call it the dawn aponte memorial building?

We still need to add in FA and or the draft.

WR3
DE/OLB2 to start opposite Barrett early in the season and give us depth when Phillips and Chubb return
Veteran DB to improve depth maybe Tre'Davious White post June 1
Another starting caliber O-lineman who can play OT
Replacement for Wilkins

Here is the math they did with all the contracts and how the money was shoved around. They must have quite the accounting department. I am shocked they still have $4.8mm space as of right now after being $50mm in the hole and doing all of those deals. Basically they used a lot of next years cap space to fund this year, by structuring these deals to push stuff out until next year, or longer. Xavien Howard and Terron Armstead money is sticking around like a bad rash, sadly. Anyway the specific details of each deal in this article are pretty interesting with regards to how they were all structured, and the implications in terms of where the money falls, and getting out from under some of these deals if they player does not work out.

Thanks for posting.

Nice to see MSN picking up a Herald article so everyone can read it.

IDK but I am glad Byron Jones finally comes of the dead money list next year. X is replacing him but still, he's off lol.
OMG that Byron Jones forgot about him. Giving me bad flashbacks. I think he totally ripped us off and just sat out a year too. They should have not paid him under the notion of conduct detrimental to the team or something of that ilk. I don't believe his injury excuse, it really seems like something he could have played through and I think the Dolphins believed that as well

Very informative and a good read... Thank you for posting!

I'm just focus on the draft right now.......4 weeks from tomorrow till round one
yes...but interestingly they do have some money to spend before then, i am surprised they have $4.8mm left. and they will have a fair bit come june, so there is stuff they will be able to do. i was going to say if they made an offer to OBJ, it had to be for less than $4.8mm, but that is not right. guess it could be more of the same where there are void years and stuff of that ilk where his salary is higher than the $4.8mm, but some portion of it is pushed to out years. Dalton Risner is still out there, but the Dolphins seem to have no interest. maybe thier view is the solve the guard problem at the draft OR they think if they dont go in that direction they can still pick him up after the draft? I think Risner is the last decent FA guard that is still available?

Thanks for the information. Just wanted to add, that the Dolphins will need roughly $6 - $8 million to sign their rookie class. Like anything else with the salary cap, this is subject to trading down/up and financial impacts.

yes...but interestingly they do have some money to spend before then, i am surprised they have $4.8mm left. and they will have a fair bit come june, so there is stuff they will be able to do. i was going to say if they made an offer to OBJ, it had to be for less than $4.8mm, but that is not right. guess it could be more of the same where there are void years and stuff of that ilk where his salary is higher than the $4.8mm, but some portion of it is pushed to out years. Dalton Risner is still out there, but the Dolphins seem to have no interest. maybe thier view is the solve the guard problem at the draft OR they think if they dont go in that direction they can still pick him up after the draft? I think Risner is the last decent FA guard that is still available?
the rumor is Risner was one of the players that hated Butch Barry and if that's the case then he's not coming here

I'm just not convinced that any of the remaining FA Guards would be much, if any, actual improvement.

At this point, these guys are probably more name than game. Add in the fact that older guys are a bit more fragile and have likely lost a step-- which will kill you in a zone system-- I think I'll pass for now.

the rumor is Risner was one of the players that hated Butch Barry and if that's the case then he's not coming here
interesting and if that is true, it wont make sense to sign him. how are those two connected bc risner played for minny, and i thought butch barry had his issues in denver?

Thanks for the information. Just wanted to add, that the Dolphins will need roughly $6 - $8 million to sign their rookie class. Like anything else with the salary cap, this is subject to trading down/up and financial impacts.
yup. might be a little less because they have a small draft class again. but probably directionally correct. there is a rule of thumb, need to save for draft class AND in season contingencies....i forget what the total number is, but in a normal year might be closer to $8-$10mm between the two

Back
Top Bottom