Dolphins Have As Good A Chance As Any Of Seven Remaining Teams For 6th Spot | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Have As Good A Chance As Any Of Seven Remaining Teams For 6th Spot

I always want the playoffs. No matter how bad the team might be. A chance to see the fins play one more game is exciting to me. Also if they are in the playoffs that means we just watched a season full of meaningful games.

I always want the playoffs. No matter how bad the team might be. A chance to see the fins play one more game is exciting to me. Also if they are in the playoffs that means we just watched a season full of meaningful games.

Man, must be weird to watch these games with you if you think this team has been exciting. It's like watching a slow moving Trainwreck cars keep detaching and getting replaced with shittier cars.

Incredible as it may seem=the dolphins have as good a chance as any of seven remaining teams for 6th spot.

They ALL have weaknesses and do bloopers when you least expect and wins when you least expect. The fans of those teams are pulling their hair out just like we are.

As far as losing in the first round-this is the NFL-the on any given Sunday rule happens all the time. However you don't have a chance if your not in the playoffs to begin with.

I am playing for 2018-not a better draft pick in 2019. If Osweiller is the quarterback-then he's the quarterback. The best would be Tannehill back but he's not here.

i see Fales post-but he has actually no track record. He could be a winning machine or an interception machine. We are still in the hunt.
18th pick in the 2019 draft.
Awesome!!!

Even if we go and are one and done, we at least we set an expectation for the Dolphins. Plus we need the playoff experience.

I hope the idea of playoffs is not like one particular recent drive.
We run Gore down the Packers throat just to get in the red zone and flub a snap for a fumble.
Imagine if that drive resulted in a TD?
Imagine if the other stupid plays we do (Cincy) never happened. Our team MUST fix this Bills style of play.

I like your incorporation of the word "progress," which I do NOT see the current vintage personifying in any meaningful way. We've stumbled to a 5-5 record and have looked IMO for the most part pretty bad in the process -- certainly NOT what I'd hoped for with our vaunted o wizzer running the show along with a retooled roster ready for prime time.

This team has found a way to win meaningless games along the way and consistently under-perform in games that really make a statement -- one way or another. Until we find a way to PROGRESS beyond that oscillation -- and start playing highly competent, competitive ball in critical games and critical times -- the end result is gonna be more of the same.

That said, I think most fans simply default to the future in order to maintain some degree of hope and optimism about the team -- so we're already looking at the draft and NOT at some irrelevant playoff appearance and subsequent spanking.

Bottom line IMO -- making the playoffs is no great prize. Getting into the MIX with a team that can reasonably compete is what I'm looking for.

Two comments. 1) Improving to a playoff berth, or, even being 'in the hunt' at game 15, is 'progress.' If you prefer a different word, I'll not complain. Playoffs is better than no playoffs, regardless of linguistics. 2) The first step in 'beyond that oscillation' is getting to the playoffs ONCE, then doing it twice. I agree, long-term fans have seen the W/L swings, and have had hopes dashed after a winning season, but it still takes 'once' before a team can get to 'twice.'

Two comments. 1) Improving to a playoff berth, or, even being 'in the hunt' at game 15, is 'progress.' If you prefer a different word, I'll not complain. Playoffs is better than no playoffs, regardless of linguistics. 2) The first step in 'beyond that oscillation' is getting to the playoffs ONCE, then doing it twice. I agree, long-term fans have seen the W/L swings, and have had hopes dashed after a winning season, but it still takes 'once' before a team can get to 'twice.'

My take -- as a GREEDY FAN -- At this point I'd rather reconstruct/rebuild (top down if necessary) than back into the playoffs only to be immediately rebuked! I mean seriously, does anyone really think this team looks and/or plays like a legit playoff team?

Beyond that -- I don't think the playoffs are some weird animal you gotta sneak up on -- ya know like get one and you're that much closer to your 2nd and 3rd etc. So for this team, as currently constructed and staffed, I do not see us making the playoffs (somehow someway) this year as a "down payment" on a better 2019.

Right or wrong.

That's my take.

BNF

We have a game against Indianapolis-which is another team in the hunt.Then no others against teams in the 6th slot hunt-i think.

bengals-ravens-browns-broncos are all playing each other and titans and colts to smaller degree. Everybody is going to be losing to somebody. I still think 8-8 with tie breakers is the name of the game. we are not dead yet
Have you watched our team play? Any above average team destroys us. I expect to loose bad against Vikings, Pats and Colts. Then we will loose one of the two against de Bills. So game over, no chance with this team, this coach and our QBs. Next year! Again!

I’d say the only hope is the wide 9 disappears over the bye week and Tannehill is miraculously good as new. Find a way to stop the run or we lose out IMHO.

My take -- as a GREEDY FAN -- At this point I'd rather reconstruct/rebuild (top down if necessary) than back into the playoffs only to be immediately rebuked! I mean seriously, does anyone really think this team looks and/or plays like a legit playoff team?

Beyond that -- I don't think the playoffs are some weird animal you gotta sneak up on -- ya know like get one and you're that much closer to your 2nd and 3rd etc. So for this team, as currently constructed and staffed, I do not see us making the playoffs (somehow someway) this year as a "down payment" on a better 2019.

Right or wrong.

That's my take.

BNF

And I get the frustration. But, logically, say, 9-7 is better than 6-10. If that is not evidence of a 'better'team, I don't know how to evaluate 'improvement.' "Legit" or not, those who get to the playoffs or 'almost' get to the playoffs are seen as better teams than those who didn't. Don't confuse my defending progress with being happy with the product. But progress comes in steps. Teams almost always have to be 'almost' before they can be 'legit.'

And I get the frustration. But, logically, say, 9-7 is better than 6-10. If that is not evidence of a 'better'team, I don't know how to evaluate 'improvement.' "Legit" or not, those who get to the playoffs or 'almost' get to the playoffs are seen as better teams than those who didn't. Don't confuse my defending progress with being happy with the product. But progress comes in steps. Teams almost always have to be 'almost' before they can be 'legit.'

I'd tend to agree with that in the past -- but recent history (as the league is today) tells a slightly different story IMO. Take Phila last year and look at KC and LA this year. Yea, granted, KC hit a HR with that QB. And LA has had Goff in place a few years. But still -- with the right combination (obviously starting @QB), and really good coaching etc., a team can "turn the corner" very quickly these daze!

On the other hand -- you have your "perennial powers" that also have (a) legit QBs and (b) legit coaching/ systems who contend, for the most part, year in and year out. Of course we used to be one of THOSE TEAMS! So what's been holding us back? Why can't we ever (seemingly) get over the proverbial hump and produce a consistent, quality product on the field?

I have my own opinions as to why, and I believe I'm about 90% right (LOL), but what really matters is FIXING the obvious systemic problem and getting this franchise back to consistent respectability -- and then (dreaming) top tier! So as I said, this current vintage backing into the playoffs means ZERO in my way of addressing (a) what's fundamentally wrong and (b) how we implement a bonafide long-term sustainable solution to our otherwise LOSING ways over the past 10 years!

Speaking of that -- I think 10 years is more than a sufficient sample size to draw definitive conclusions about the current (incompetent) ownership. And yea, old school tells me it ALL starts at the top. That's why I tend to believe, at the very minimum, this franchise needs a complete rebuild at the highest executive level; i.e., some *star* in place as football overload with the power to do anything and everything including coaching staff, personnel, FO etc. Everything. If that person thinks Gase is the answer -- then sobeit. On the other hand, if that person wants to TOTALLY CLEAN HOUSE -- I say "get 'er done!"

Bottom, bottom line -- this franchise, as the historical record proves, has obvious (and I think glaring) problems. One meaningless playoff appearance is NOT going to make that better. In fact, sneaking into the playoffs may actually make things worse by only delaying inevitable.

Because brother -- we ain't going anywhere as is.

BNF

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree with that in the past -- but recent history (as the league is today) tells a slightly different story IMO. Take Phila last year and look at KC and LA this year. Yea, granted, KC hit a HR with that QB. And LA has had Goff in place a few years. But still -- with the right combination (obviously starting @QB), and really good coaching etc., a team can "turn the corner" very quickly these daze!

On the other hand -- you have your "perennial powers" that also have (a) legit QBs and (b) legit coaching/ systems who contend, for the most part, year in and year out. Of course we used to be one of THOSE TEAMS! So what's been holding us back? Why can't we ever (seemingly) get over the proverbial hump and produce a consistent, quality product on the field?

I have my own opinions as to why, and I believe I'm about 90% right (LOL), but what really matters is FIXING the obvious systemic problem and getting this franchise back to consistent respectability -- and then (dreaming) top tier! So as I said, this current vintage backing into the playoffs means ZERO in my way of addressing (a) what's fundamentally wrong and (b) how we implement a bonafide long-term sustainable solution to our otherwise LOSING ways over the past 10 years!

Speaking of that -- I think 10 years is more than a sufficient sample size to draw definitive conclusions about the current (incompetent) ownership. And yea, old school tells me it ALL starts at the top. That's why I tend to believe, at the very minimum, this franchise needs a complete rebuild at the highest executive level; i.e., some *star* in place as football overload with the power to do anything and everything including coaching staff, personnel, FO etc. Everything. If that person thinks Gase is the answer -- then sobeit. On the other hand, if that person wants to TOTALLY CLEAN HOUSE -- I say "get 'er done!"

Bottom, bottom line -- this franchise, as the historical record proves, has obvious (and I think glaring) problems. One meaningless playoff appearance is NOT going to make that better. In fact, sneaking into the playoffs may actually make things worse by only delaying inevitable.

Because brother -- we ain't going anywhere as is.

BNF

Correct, but, as I said, there can't be a second appearance until there's a first.

And I get the venting about a "complete rebuild," in fact I encourage it if it makes you feel better, but you know that's a delusion, right?

You're right. They should cut the playoffs back to just division winners, because making the playoffs as a wildcard is pointless.
[/sarcasm]
it seems to be for the Dolphins.....lol

Back
Top Bottom