Dolphins interested in Akili Smith/article says we're interested in smith (merged 3x) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Akili Smith/article says we're interested in smith (merged 3x)

I'm sure with an arm like Smith's Norv would have an interest in tutoring him.

So what's wrong with this picture? Four teams interested in Smith and maybe two more in Seattle and Green Bay.
Why are all these teams interested in Smith but not Griese? Makes you want to say, Hummmmmmmm.

I was listening to Sean Salsbury talk about Akili Smith yesterday on ESPN radio......he said that Akili's biggest poblem was the fact that he did not do a presnap read on the defense. He said this is PRO ball not pee wee league, you MUST read the defense as you are walking up to the ball....Said Akili saw nothing but his linemen's assess ALL the time.....He also said it's not an uncommon problem....most players of Akili's athletic ability get by ON that athletic ability until they reach the proffessional level. Especially the "workout wonders" who spike their draft prospects in shorts and a T-shirt. He said, If a player has not developed that aspect of their game before this point then they are too far behind to catch up. All the talent in the world can't save you on this level if your mental game isn't there.

Good point Infins. It was easy for him in college and he tought he could do the same at the pro level.

It's a little late to learn how to play instead of reacting when you're at the top.

but all the readings he would have to make as he is getting to the center to take the snap, isn´t this something he could still learn by watching tape ? i mean don´t get me wrong i still don´t think that this thread will mean something as griese is probably ours in the next few days....but what infinsible wrote is right, why are 4 teams calling for smith´s duty if brian griese is available too ?

Originally posted by Al13
but all the readings he would have to make as he is getting to the center to take the snap, isn´t this something he could still learn by watching tape ? i mean don´t get me wrong i still don´t think that this thread will mean something as griese is probably ours in the next few days....but what infinsible wrote is right, why are 4 teams calling for smith´s duty if brian griese is available too ?

I think if he actually HAS the ability to pick it up or not would be the big unKnown. I'm sure it's not impossible to catch up, in time, if the intelligence is there but, you have to understand that the defense is playing mind games with the QB......even QBs that have this skill already developed are being tricked by defenders sometimes. Imagine how much MORE of an advantage in disguising coverages or blitzes that these defenders have over somone like Smith.....As Smith catches on to one trick they have already moved on to the next trick. It's hard to catch up like that. Not impossible but, highly unlikely.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I was listening to Sean Salsbury talk about Akili Smith yesterday on ESPN radio......he said that Akili's biggest poblem was the fact that he did not do a presnap read on the defense. He said this is PRO ball not pee wee league, you MUST read the defense as you are walking up to the ball....Said Akili saw nothing but his linemen's assess ALL the time.....He also said it's not an uncommon problem....most players of Akili's athletic ability get by ON that athletic ability until they reach the proffessional level. Especially the "workout wonders" who spike their draft prospects in shorts and a T-shirt. He said, If a player has not developed that aspect of their game before this point then they are too far behind to catch up. All the talent in the world can't save you on this level if your mental game isn't there.

this isnt a question of ability...i blame the bung-holes coaching staff for not pinpointing a bad habit such as this and working on it. top to bottom, the 1991- present cincinnatti bengals are easily the worst franchise in sports history(you could also make a case for the old bucs and LA clippers)

Please. not another Ray Lucas. Great arm and great speed but CAN'T play QB.

:lol: :lol: Considering Miami didn't have a 1st round pick in 1999.....If Akili Smith comes to Miami, that will mean the Phins have had 4 players taken in the first round that year:-

Smith
Ricky Williams
Cade McNown
Demetrius Underwood

Miami has also been linked to Petigout, Couch, Claiborne and Stinchcomb

In addition, running backs taken that year who have been in Miami:-

JJ Johnson
Cecil Collins
Rob Konrad
Ricky Williams
Sedric Irvin
Autry Denson

Not really relevant to anything, but I thought it was quite interesting.

Miami interested in Akili Smith....

NFL | Four Teams Interested In A. Smith - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 05:50:05 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports four teams have contacted the agent for free agent QB Akili Smith (Bengals). The Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints have called Smith’s agent, Kennard McGuire, and the Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are two other teams that could be interested, although they are both unconfirmed.

This could be a bargaining ploy to get Griese, or his agent more likely, to get on board. If you show that Griese isn't the only option, then you strip Cindrich's power away and probably make the asking price come down for Brian's services. On the other hand, if they are seriously thinking of taking a look at Akili, well, more power to them I guess. I really don't have an opinion on him since he was with the Bengals.It is hard to judge who is good and who isn't off that team.

Originally posted by Samphin
This could be a bargaining ploy to get Griese, or his agent more likely, to get on board. If you show that Griese isn't the only option, then you strip Cindrich's power away and probably make the asking price come down for Brian's services. On the other hand, if they are seriously thinking of taking a look at Akili, well, more power to them I guess. I really don't have an opinion on him since he was with the Bengals.It is hard to judge who is good and who isn't off that team.

this is exatly what I was thinking.....

I mean, this guy couldnt possibly be better than Lucas, well, then again who knows, he hasnt been healthy enough to be compared.

Back
Top Bottom