Dolphins interested in Akili Smith/article says we're interested in smith (merged 3x) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in Akili Smith/article says we're interested in smith (merged 3x)

Ray Smith/Akili Lucas? Nah, I'll take Sage and and a cheeseburger instead.

I wouldn't mind seeing Akili coming here..He's got a lot to prove and it would make for an interesting battle for the backup spot between him and Sage...He'll get another chance based on potential...He's got plenty but for some reason it didn't pan out in
Cinci...
Since we're supposedly signing Griese...i say Akili goes to GB or NO...

Dolphins interested in Akili Smith

ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Dolphins have contacted Akili Smith for a possible back up. The other team that has shown interest are the Saints. I'm not a big Akili Smith fan, but it evidently, the Dolphins want to establish some contact with him, just in case the Griese deal doesn't work out. I would personally rather the Dolphins sign O'Donnell instead.

I think its all a big ploy to get Cindrich to play ball. The problem for Cindrich is that this is where Brian wants to be, and the other offers aren't very good situations for Brian. And yet, the Phins do not NEED Brian Griese at all. We could get by fine with Neil O'Donnell backing up Jay Fiedler in fact there would be a whole heck of a lot less controversy involved and we know Neil could fill in for Jay competantly (ie not tripping over his own feet every other play, fumbling handoffs, fumbling period, tossing the ball straight into defenders' hands 5 times a game) so we don't need Brian at all.

So right now basically, we have all the leverage here, and the feeler we just sent out to Akili Smith was just a reminder of that.

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

this isnt a question of ability...i blame the bung-holes coaching staff for not pinpointing a bad habit such as this and working on it. top to bottom, the 1991- present cincinnatti bengals are easily the worst franchise in sports history(you could also make a case for the old bucs and LA clippers)

Please....no matter how bad Cincy's coaching staff may have been, they surely would have worked on teaching him how to do presnap reads....I mean it's only ESSENTIAL to the position.....Do I need to mention all the athleticly gifted QBs who have crashed and burned because they couldn't do this?....It's not something that can be taught if there is not a certain amount of intelligence there already.

Originally posted by IceStorm
Ray Smith/Akili Lucas? Nah, I'll take Sage and and a cheeseburger instead.

Make that 2 cheeseburgers:D

Good news, Akili isn't the best QB in the world, but he is not the worst. Just incase this Griese things drags out too long we have a back up plan. I love our FO...Spielman, you the man!

Akili Smith has great talent but like most of you pointed out needs to learn how to read a defense and make pre-snap reads.A good QB coach like Norv might be able to turn him around and it wouldn't hurt signing him because he will alot cheaper than Griese.Sage becomes the backup QB and Smith is the emergency QB.Is not a bad option considering if Griese camp is not willing to sign a deal soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by inFINSible
I was listening to Sean Salsbury talk about Akili Smith yesterday on ESPN radio......he said that Akili's biggest poblem was the fact that he did not do a presnap read on the defense. He said this is PRO ball not pee wee league, you MUST read the defense as you are walking up to the ball....Said Akili saw nothing but his linemen's assess ALL the time.....He also said it's not an uncommon problem....most players of Akili's athletic ability get by ON that athletic ability until they reach the proffessional level. Especially the "workout wonders" who spike their draft prospects in shorts and a T-shirt. He said, If a player has not developed that aspect of their game before this point then they are too far behind to catch up. All the talent in the world can't save you on this level if your mental game isn't there.

Listening to Sean Salsbury about QB play is like listening to Ray Lucas about QB play, not a very good idea! :D

Oliver...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think its all a big ploy to get Cindrich to play ball. The problem for Cindrich is that this is where Brian wants to be, and the other offers aren't very good situations for Brian. And yet, the Phins do not NEED Brian Griese at all. We could get by fine with Neil O'Donnell backing up Jay Fiedler in fact there would be a whole heck of a lot less controversy involved and we know Neil could fill in for Jay competantly (ie not tripping over his own feet every other play, fumbling handoffs, fumbling period, tossing the ball straight into defenders' hands 5 times a game) so we don't need Brian at all.

So right now basically, we have all the leverage here, and the feeler we just sent out to Akili Smith was just a reminder of that.

Good point CK...

Griese needs the Dolphins more than Dolphins need him.Cindich needs to get off cloud nine and agree to terms.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think its all a big ploy to get Cindrich to play ball. The problem for Cindrich is that this is where Brian wants to be, and the other offers aren't very good situations for Brian. And yet, the Phins do not NEED Brian Griese at all.

Then Brian needs to step up and tell his agent to get the deal done IMO. You know, a while back I started a thread about how I was not real high on getting Brian after June 1st because of all of the things he would have to learn in such a short period of time. I got the beat down from many on the board. My feeling haven't changed and the longer this situation drags out, the worse it is for the Phins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Oliver

Listening to Sean Salsbury about QB play is like listening to Ray Lucas about QB play, not a very good idea! :D

Oliver...

What does that mean? Look at all the coaches in the NFL that couldn't play a lick. I don't recall Shula being an All-pro do you?

A. Smith

Pros:
Good Scrambler
Strong Arm
Good Athletic Ability

Cons:
His reads are often wrong on presnaps
His reads during the play seem to be slow only checking 1-2 options.
His accuracy is not that good except on the deep ball.

His reads can improve and he still has a shot in the league based on his athletic ability. He just needs the right coaching and the right team. He would be a good #2 or #3 for most teams. In a couple of years hard work on the right team might bring him back to #1 status.
The Phins have Norv and he would be learning from one of the best. But how long do the Phins plan on having Norv?

Phins: Should pass on Smith because Sage is showing good things right now. Jay is on the hot seat next season if his play is not equal to that of his large contract. The Phins do not want to reach for a QB next season in the draft or overpaying in the FA. That would be the case if they had Jay, Sage & Akili next season and Jay played badly this year.

If Akili is a REAL TARGET and not a ploy to get Greise to sign quicker. Then he would have to impress the Phins enough to want to trade Sage for a pick. That is hard to do in such a SHORT amount of time.

Originally posted by inFINSible

What does that mean? Look at all the coaches in the NFL that couldn't play a lick. I don't recall Shula being an All-pro do you?

It's simple, Salsbury steak does not too much about what it takes to be a qulaity QB in the NFL. Shu's was a D player and coach, he did not have the input in the offense that most thought he had.

In short I think Salsbury steak doesn't know his head from his azz when it comes to NFL football. There's a reason he's on TV and not a coach.

Oliver...

So, the opinion of a former NFL QB is worthless.....what does that make your opinion?;)

Just for the record, he said he got that information from different personell men around the league, so it's not like he thought of it himself....:goof:

Back
Top Bottom