DOLPHINS KEEPING TABS ON McCARDELL.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DOLPHINS KEEPING TABS ON McCARDELL....

If we got McCardell and one of Simmons/Baker/Johnson step up, then I think Dedric Ward would be the one to go. McKnight and the winner of those three guys all have qualities that Ward has. On the other hand, NONE of those 5 other guys has OG's size, strength, and hands.

If we cut Ward and Chambers goes down, we're still a big, fast, strong unit.

But if we cut Gadsden and Chambers goes down, we're still fast. But we lose size and strength. And McCardell would be the only guy with solid hands.

I dont think we would cut Gadsden... he has been our most consistent performer out of all our WR's. Plus, he is not very expensive. Most likely... we would keep all 5 of them. Can you IMAGINE that 5 WR set??

Chambers, Gadsden, McKnight, McCardell, Ward??

My GOD!! That would be nice.

My guess would be McCardell and Chambers would be starters, with McKnight and Gadsden battling for the slot receiver position. Ward would be a 3rd down receiver and used in 5 WR sets...

The other young guys would have to be cut to make room, which is unfortunate, as Robert Baker has shown some talent, he just can't seem to stay healthy... hopefully this is the year he finally makes it though.

Muck.....

I was a little unspecific when I said we don't have a history of keeping 6 WRs...what I meant was our history under JJ and Wanny, our recent history.

Sorry for being unspecific.

wow missed all the fun on this thread, but McCardell/Chambers has a great ring to it. I agree that Ward seem least likely to stay unless he made it as PR and we kept 6 WRs.

It is hard to see OG being cut, but anything is possible.

Let's just start by pulling off another huge coup signing McCardell. :cool:

Originally posted by Muck
If we got McCardell and one of Simmons/Baker/Johnson step up, then I think Dedric Ward would be the one to go.

Sorry but it would be Oronde.

A) He's in the final year of his contract and there hasn't been one iota of discussion over extensions
B) He's making roughly 1.4 million + whatever his signing bonus is you can figure out that his cap number makes him a target for cutting.
C) Health wise he's got severe problems and most people feel he will be lucky to get 2 more years out of his body.
D) He's not Wanny's boy. He's a holdover from JJ's. Wanny brought in McKnight.......Wanny extended Ward this year so there is no way he's going.

and so on. If McCardell was to sign it would either be McCardell/Chambers/McKnight (whose already putting in the time for the slot with Turner so Oronde loses there to)/Oronde/Ward or Oronde gets cut in a salary cap move to sign McCardell or to give one of the youngsters a spot. You guys gotta admit without letting personal feelings get in the way that what I am saying makes complete sense.

You can not count out the injury factor in this equation.
It happens every year.
We have seen too many instances where we lose a guy here or there, or lose a top contributer for the year, and the backups just can not get the job done.
Just look at last year for the most recent example.
In the playoff game against the Ravens, we were down to McNight and Detric Ward as our top 2 wideouts.
I say, we must find a way to keep 6 WR,s.
I don't think we will need to cut one of the top guys (OG??).
You can never have enough good players.
You will need them eventually.

Ideally we would sign Keenan and not cut anybody until deep in pre-season so that we could be sure that the top 4 are all healthy, i.e. I would hate to cut Ward and then lose OG to injury. But that is ideal

Originally posted by dolphan39
Ideally we would sign Keenan and not cut anybody until deep in pre-season so that we could be sure that the top 4 are all healthy, i.e. I would hate to cut Ward and then lose OG to injury. But that is ideal

That's just it though. We are NOT cutting Ward. No if's, ands, or buts about it. He got an extension this off season by what.....2 years? Wanny made his commitment to him.

if anyone would get cut i would think it would be gadsden because he would have the least amont of a cap hit...he also has the chronic foot problem...i think there is also a chance that nobody would be cut and they would just let gadsden become a free agent at the end of the year...

Definately JD I actually hope that no one gets cut if McCardell signs. However would that really be fair to Oronde? He could probably snag a 2-3 year contract still right now if he were cut but if he stayed with the McCardell signing he would be relegated to 4th WR. He wouldn't have time to pick up Turner's slot WR bit that they have been working with McKnight on constantly. To play out the year as a 4th WR would just diminish his chances at signing a halfway decent contract when he does hit FA.

HMMMMMMM

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Sorry but it would be Oronde.

A) He's in the final year of his contract and there hasn't been one iota of discussion over extensions
B) He's making roughly 1.4 million + whatever his signing bonus is you can figure out that his cap number makes him a target for cutting.
C) Health wise he's got severe problems and most people feel he will be lucky to get 2 more years out of his body.
D) He's not Wanny's boy. He's a holdover from JJ's. Wanny brought in McKnight.......Wanny extended Ward this year so there is no way he's going.

ISNT WARD MAKING 1 MILLION PER YEAR? IF THAT IS THE CASE, AS I RECALL IT IS......THEN NO WAY WOULD GADSDEN GO FIRST OVER 400 K. GADSDEN IS A SPECIALTY WR THAT HAS RED ZONE AND BIG CATCH SKILLS WANNY COVETS! WARD WILL GO!

Re: HMMMMMMM

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

ISNT WARD MAKING 1 MILLION PER YEAR? IF THAT IS THE CASE, AS I RECALL IT IS......THEN NO WAY WOULD GADSDEN GO FIRST OVER 400 K. GADSDEN IS A SPECIALTY WR THAT HAS RED ZONE AND BIG CATCH SKILLS WANNY COVETS! WARD WILL GO!

First of all. Drop the caps. Caps in the internet world means 2 things. That you are either yelling or your an immature 12 year old. It's unpleasant to the eyes and most of the time most people refuse to take you seriously or will even bother to read it.

2nd of all as I said earlier in this post Ward got an extension which dropped his salary down somewhat in exchange for 2 extra years. Wanny made his commitment to Ward already.

Back
Top Bottom