Dolphins need to enroll Tua in judo classes. I am serious. He doesn't know how to properly fall. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins need to enroll Tua in judo classes. I am serious. He doesn't know how to properly fall.

I 100% agree, people hear martial arts, and the 1st thing they think about is fighting, and hurting people, which is absolutely far from reality, if you go to a good school, what you learn is far from just fighting techniques, but instead friendship with people you meed, willpower to finish what you start, belief in yourself, and learning nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it.

In highschool we had an English teacher that was the last person you would associate to martial arts, or being able to fight, but he was a 4t or 5th dan Black Belt, and every year he had an exhibition, and the thing that man could do was nothing less then amazing...especially in weapons.

He made it his job to know those of us in highschool that were trained, and each one of us let us know that he knew Highschool can be tough, and normally fights start that have nothing to do with us starting it, but if he ever heard one of us got into a fight and used any special techniques to hurt the other guy, for one week we would have detention in where the guilty party would have to show him how mighty any of our training was.

Most teachers hate to hear any of their students getting Into fights, yet love hearing how much you have accomplished in sports, in obstacles in our lives.

View attachment 124069
Wow. Sounds like my instructors. They were a married Japanese couple, who believed in mind over matter. It was never about fighting, but more about setting a mindset of peace and tranquility. But also, instilling confidence and courage. I'll never forget Mr. and Mrs. Nakamura.

No one says anything when I say the OL should learn Sumo lessons. It would teach them elite balance and flexibility.

Tua would benefit from yoga and Judo. They should hire Jackie Chan and I'm being serious. He would make an awesome teacher.

Tua's footwork in the pocket is strong and keeps him from taking a lot of big shots. It’s when he’s out of that bubble, where he’s less elusive, that increases risk of taking nasty hits.

Because he’s not a big threat to run, and because he keeps his eyes downfield looking for plays, at times he appears to misjudge speed/proximity of defenders and becomes vulnerable to violent hits.

YTD he’s been sacked on 5.49% of dropbacks, which is middle of the NFL pack. In the Texans game, he was sacked 10.87% of dropbacks.

If martial arts can help him smartly displace the kinetic energy he absorbs on impact, great! And agree the best way to limit these moments is addressing the root cause issue of improved OL protection.

Look at this.

And remember when he hit his head on the turf several times in the first few weeks?

We need to teach Tua how to fall properly. Judo teaches you to tuck your chin in and slap the ground with your hands/arms to avoid hitting your head. It becomes second nature.

One time I was on a job site, and I was distracted (my own fault, rarely ever happens). Someone had borrowed one of our smaller ladders and replaced it with a 12 foot ladder. I wasn't paying attention (again, my fault) and I just forgot, and as I was going down the ladder, I thought I had reached the ground, but instead there was still 3 or so more ladder rungs to go. I fell backwards off the ladder, and my judo instincts kicked in and I tucked my chin into my chest, my arms winged out and slapped the ground and my back slammed into the ground but my head did not even graze the concrete floor. I was fine. No injury, not even a bruise on my back. Got right back up, laughed, and went back to work.

Tua needs to learn how to fall. I understand he has a helmet on, but I feel there can be things done to help teach him how to contort his body or avoid injury better. If you look at the tape, he becomes a ragdoll and allows the defender to do whatever they want with him. He should be countering their momentum for his benefit, so he can hit the ground in much safer ways.

I am serious, Mike McDaniels should have the Dolphins put him in Judo classes or something. Teach him the best mechanics of how to fall when a defender is tackling you at different angles.

This might prolong his career and avoid serious injury.

Considering the hit he took on that play, it’s great that he was flexible enough to avoid an injury. It isn’t that he doesn’t know the correct way to fall. He was just hit at an angle that caused him to fall the way he did.

Instead of complaining that he needs to learn how to fall when he is hit. Perhaps you should be praising him for all the work he has put in since his hip surgery which allowed him to bend his entire body in such a way that he suffered no injury on that hit.

Wow. Sounds like my instructors. They were a married Japanese couple, who believed in mind over matter. It was never about fighting, but more about setting a mindset of peace and tranquility. But also, instilling confidence and courage. I'll never forget Mr. and Mrs. Nakamura.

Really does sound like it. Though neither of my instructors were Japanese (Head instructor-Cuban, Associate-Italian), the teaching was from a Korean master that believed most fights could be talked out of or walked away from, and if you put the work in, and believe you can, you will.

I agree that it helps for falling, but in real football time, using one hand to slap the ground while getting sacked would likely result in some fumbles. Then we’d be saying thanks alot Mr Miagi

Martial arts would help, in strengthening of the forearms, fingers, legs and wrist. The added flexibility in the overall body, would be beneficial, as well. All of which could and would help almost anyone playing football or any sport, for that matter.

Last edited:
I loved taking Boxing classes way more than when I tried karate and think got more out of it, but maybe that's just my own perspective as I much prefer watching Boxing than MMA.

Really does sound like it. Though neither of my instructors were Japanese (Head instructor-Cuban, Associate-Italian), the teaching was from a Korean master that believed most fights could be talked out of or walked away from, and if you put the work in, and believe you can, you will.
Exactly what I was taught.

I loved taking Boxing classes way more than when I tried karate and think got more out of it, but maybe that's just my own perspective as I much prefer watching Boxing than MMA.
My uncle fought professionally in the mid 50's to mid 60's as a welterweight. Unfortunately he suffered from some serious concussions over the years.

Back
Top Bottom