Dolphins OL- Who Shows Up vs Raiders? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL- Who Shows Up vs Raiders?

Every day I'm getting increasingly worked up about the state of our O-Line. I was really happy during FA when we added Armstead and Williams. I was really hoping we'd add a C in the draft but we let that one slide by (although I'm happy with Tindall and EZ). Moving Williams to C is what concerns me most as it's replacing a decent LG with Eich who's never played there and was very questionable based on what we saw last weekend. Williams has also never played C so we have no idea if he's any good there. Reports from camp are not encouraging. Jackson was adequate at RT, which unfortunately is a huge improvement for him. Whether he can be adequate every week is the worry.

My biggest issue is the lack of apparent action being taken to address it. There seems to be a feeling they can be coached up. I think we desperately need to add some veteran talent to this group. Whether thats picking up one of the remaining FAs like Massie, trading for somebody or grabbing someone off waivers when squads are culled down to 53.

There's really no excuse to ignore it. We have plenty of cap space left for this season and it's not like we're overinvested in the unit already. The 2022 cap value of our entire starting O-Line is $16.5m. For some perspective that is the equivalent of 8th place in the NFL for the LT position alone. Orlando Brown is 7th at $16.6m. I just hope to see something happen in the next 2 weeks (either via improved play or roster acquisition) to make me feel more comfortable going into Week 1.

I expect 4 of our starters to get limited reps and Armstead to be on the sideline. I’d also point out that Liam only played 11 snaps because he is the starting LG. Kindley looked overweight and slow anytime he was asked to move. Not really what you are looking for in a zone blocking scheme. His pass-pro score was high because he faced backups playing vanilla defense. He is a huge guy; he won’t give up a straight path to the QB.
I watched a breakdown and Tampa wasn't playing as vanilla defense as one might think. Preseason no gameplanning doesn't necessarily mean teams aren't running good blitzes, stunts, and all. Bowles has been with TB for a while and been to the SB there, it's not like there isn't a huge array of plays the league already has on tape in actual games they can run without giving away some kind of trade secret.

As a horizontally challenged man myself, I can tell you his weight is a problem.
One can say he'd be a better player if his weight wasn't so high, but people get caught up in that stuff rather than whether not him at overweight is better than guys who just flat out suck at their ideal weight.

Seen it happen over and over where NFL coaches will doghouse a player because his weight isn't perfect and they'll run a completely lost cause out there while they are trying to send a message to the other guy. Vernon Carey wasn't a bad player for us, and he sat almost his entire rookie year as Wannstadt trotted out Taylor Whitley in his stead on a line that didn't open a run hole for half the season. When forced to start Carey because of injury, Carey was clearly the more effective player, but the team refused to play him regularly until Carey was less effective in downing cheeseburgers. He didn't get to play until Saban came in.

Not that dissimilar from Adam Gase playing basically anyone at receiver but Devante Parker.

During the recent interview, Coach McD mention player not projecting the past on to him. I am willing not project last years failures on this year’s coaching staff. I want to see improvement from the OL players we keep on the roster. Especially, the those with under 3 yrs experience. I am not blind that the starting point is not good, but I am going to give the coaching staff an opportunity to prove their mettle.

Thats a good package. A lot of judgement by people based on his weight. He was our best O-Lineman in the game last weekend.
Designated goal line LG. He seems to pick on guys smaller than him, mainly LBs. He’s too slow to compete with elite nose tackles and DEs. But the Fins need depth. At least he’s healthy… other than carrying around 50lbs too much. He needs a team psychologist to work with him. He’s going to blow millions of bucks.

Back
Top Bottom