Dolphins Probably Now Switching Gears To Coleman.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Probably Now Switching Gears To Coleman..

Alex Marvez says Marco probably will NOT be heading to Miami.

MARVEZ: Coleman isn't likely to return to Dolphins
Published June 2, 2002

Of the 15 to 20 NFL players expected to be released this week for salary-cap reasons, the Dolphins have had particular interest in one familiar face since March.

But in all likelihood, defensive end Marco Coleman won't be returning to South Florida.

The Washington Redskins are expected to release Coleman this week to clear roughly $3.5 million in cap room. The Dolphins would love to sign Coleman -- one of their two 1992 first-round draft picks -- as the top backup to starting ends Jason Taylor and Daryl Gardener.

But Coleman is seeking a multiyear contract worth more than the veteran minimum salary the Dolphins had planned to offer. And despite a noticeable drop in productivity last season, the 32-year-old Coleman is likely to land a better deal elsewhere. Other suitors include Philadelphia and Atlanta, where Coleman lives in the offseason.

The Dolphins still remain in the market for a free-agent end, although the pickings are awfully slim. Baltimore's Rob Burnett, who had a free-agent visit with the Dolphins last month, appears willing to wait for a more lucrative offer elsewhere (New England and Washington have interest). The Dolphins also have cooled on Seattle's Michael Sinclair, a player they once planned to entertain on a free-agent visit.

End was once a strength for the Dolphins, but the team has lost four quality players via free agency over the past two seasons. Trace Armstrong (Oakland) and Rich Owens (Kansas City) left after the 2000 season, and 2001 starter Kenny Mixon and backup Lorenzo Bromell both signed deals with Minnesota this spring that the Dolphins were unable to match.

The Dolphins' top backups at end are David Bowens and Adewale Ogunleye, neither of whom has an NFL start.

"What we're looking for is a role veteran defensive end," said Rick Spielman, the Dolphins' vice president of football operations/player personnel. "We think Adewale and Bowens will be good. We don't know what [unheralded free agents] Al Wallace or Rod Kelly are. If something happens to one of our two starters, we need to have security with a vet that can line up to play."

By releasing a player after June 1, a team can split the remaining amount he will count against the cap over two seasons. With roughly $3.3 million in cap room currently available, Spielman said the Dolphins had no plans for any such cuts.

But that cap space doesn't mean the Dolphins plan to pursue any big-name veteran players. Signing the team's rookie class will chew up roughly $1.44 million, while the team is expected to keep more than $1 million available for injury settlements with players during training camp and any free-agent signings that become necessary because of injuries.

Feeling the pinch

Without a first- or second-round pick in this year's draft, the Dolphins should have no problem signing their five selections to contracts before the start of training camp in late July. But those players won't experience the same financial windfall as previous draft classes.

Traditionally, the rookie pool teams have to sign their draft picks and college free agents from has increased by an average of 8 to 10 percent each season. But a change in the NFL's collective bargaining agreement has kept the rookie pool the same as last season. With the rookie minimum salary also rising from $209,000 to $225,000 for 2002, teams will have less money available to offer as signing bonuses to their draft picks.

Late picks like East Carolina running back Leonard Henry, whom the Dolphins chose in the seventh round, are expected to feel the biggest pinch because their odds of making the final roster aren't as good as players selected earlier.

Stars out for kids

Not even the rain could put a damper on wide receiver Jeff Ogden's Friday night fund-raiser for his Catch a Star foundation in Fort Lauderdale. Quarterback Jay Fiedler and strong safety Arturo Freeman were among the Dolphins players helping to raise money for the foundation, which assists foster children. For more information on Catch a Star, call 1-866-871-7827.

Alex Marvez can be reached at amarvez@sun-sentinel.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCRAP IRON...........

Todd Perry was known as a durable, nasty run-blocker from his days in Chicago. Last year, he played most of the season with a knee injury, as did Ruddy and Wade. So he was constantly trying to pick up their slack. And Perry also had to deal with the fact that his mother was fighting terminal cancer in Kentucky. So that was always weighing on his mind.

Nonetheless, if you go back and watch tapes of last season, you'll see that Todd Perry was our best offensive lineman. Go watch the tapes. Because right now, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just spouting off the status quo.

Good points Muck, on Perry! I've been thinking about that lately and hope Perry steps it up even more this year. To give up on him this early would be a mistake, imo.

:) :D :)

Also wasn't Perry playing a new position - RG. Wasn't he a LG in Chicago

Todd Perry was our best lineman??!! Hahahaha!!!! Are you kidding me Muck!!! You're a bigger idiot then I originally thought. Either that or you're Todd Perrys brother or agent.

:monkey: Muck :lol:

:monkey: Todd Perry:lol:

Originally posted by Scrap Iron
Todd Perry was our best lineman??!! Hahahaha!!!! Are you kidding me Muck!!! You're a bigger idiot then I originally thought. Either that or you're Todd Perrys brother or agent.

:monkey: Muck :lol:

:monkey: Todd Perry:lol:

Posting that drivel should get you banned. Tell me oh wise scrap heap who was our best OL last season?

Perry is better than he played last season, and he's definitely a keeper. Keep in mind that his mother was dying of cancer all last season...

HEY SCABHEAD

Get your head out of your anal cleft loser. Muck is a vauled poster here. If you don't like this, go to the DD board, they will welcome you with open arms.:fire:

Perry started out slow, but came on as the season progressed. It just took a little time for him to adjust to his position. I would think that if Mark Dixon had to slide over to tackle, Perry would be a better choice to take over left guard than Jamie Nails would.

Oh yea, thats mature Mr. "I have 2 degrees from college." Muck disagrees with you so you start with the name calling. Do the message board a favor and go post over at Dolphin Digest.

Here's to you guys. Enjoy!! Hahahaha!!!

:monkey:VanDolPhan
:monkey: Den54
:monkey:BMarion31
:monkey:Muck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scrap Iron, before you get 86ed here, tell us who your team is. I know you can't be a dolfan, acting like a total idiot on a fins board.

Unfortunately, Scrap Iron will not be able to tell you his name... as he won't be able to post on these forums.

Back
Top Bottom