Dolphins Propose Rule Change | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Propose Rule Change

why take the drama out of the game and give the kicking team a offensive possession? no kick offs no onside kicks, no tackling the QB, go ahead and put little colored flags on them. The rules are making the players soft.

Good passing teams and teams that are good at defending the pass are the teams with the better W/L record, in other words, they are the stronger teams in the current rules. Stronger teams should have the advantage, I see literally no logical argument for having bad teams benefiting from pure luck in game... Bad teams are already benefiting from draft order to get a head start when building their teams, just dont nerf the in game play to make it more exciting. I mean whats next? Lets spot 7 points to to a losing team when they play a .750 winning % team?
Two things
1. To pass the rule, bad teams need to vote for it
2. Games are about excitement. Giving an advantage to a better team reduces excitement

With time constraint being the objective to over come. I would rather have the onside kick. To me I would throw that 2% out and go for the first and 10 at the 50+ yard line versus fourth and 15 at my own 25. Doesn’t make any sense at all.
The odds to convert the 4th and 15 are DRASTICALLY higher than recovering an onside kick. Gots to play the odds when they're that far apart.

The odds to convert the 4th and 15 are DRASTICALLY higher than recovering an onside kick. Gots to play the odds when they're that far apart.
I just looked it up again and
Yes the %rates have dropped considerably on onside kicks

Giving an advantage to a better team reduces excitement
The advantage is self implied, good teams have an advantage because they're better than their opponents... Using coinflips and onside kicks to decide game outcomes only benefits bad teams.

The advantage is self implied, good teams have an advantage because they're better than their opponents... Using coinflips and onside kicks to decide game outcomes only benefits bad teams.

And increases excitement. I'm not arguing either side. You pick a side, I can argue the other. I just can't see the Panthers voting for a rule that consistently favors NO.

And increases excitement. I'm not arguing either side. You pick a side, I can argue the other. I just can't see the Panthers voting for a rule that consistently favors NO.
I dont know, onside kick success has dropped to almost impossible after the rule change. I think they need to find an alternative, because a 6% success rate on onside kicks lately doesnt add alot of excitement imo...

I dont know, onside kick success has dropped to almost impossible after the rule change. I think they need to find an alternative, because a 6% success rate on onside kicks lately doesnt add alot of excitement imo...

we agree. Onside kick is exciting, but knowing the success rate is similar to watching a hail mary. There needs to be a way for a losing team to have a reasonable chance at success, I just have no idea what rule would get the votes of a sufficient number of teams. Onside kicks had enough uncertainty to make the play exciting, but recent hx has reduced the odds of success too much. MHO

The only reason a team tries an onside kick is because they are either out of time, or are trailing, or most likely both.

Why should a team that is being outplayed that particular day get any extra chances?

The only reason a team tries an onside kick is because they are either out of time, or are trailing, or most likely both.

Why should a team that is being outplayed that particular day get any extra chances?
In this case, its not about getting an extra chance imo. its about getting the odds back to where they've always been. They decided to keep the kicking team from getting a running start for safety reasons and as a result the onside kicks success rates plummeted. They're now looking at alternatives that would bring the same type of odds of success... As of right now, when they changed the rules they inadvertently abolished the onside kick's strategy part of the game.

Now if you were never a fan of onside kicks to begin with, then you're obviously fine with status quo. In that case, I can only respect your opinion...

Last edited:
we agree. Onside kick is exciting, but knowing the success rate is similar to watching a hail mary. There needs to be a way for a losing team to have a reasonable chance at success, I just have no idea what rule would get the votes of a sufficient number of teams. Onside kicks had enough uncertainty to make the play exciting, but recent hx has reduced the odds of success too much. MHO
Were there really so many injuries with onside kicks? I wish they had left it as it was.

As for the Miami’s proposal it makes sense.

But, I am not a fan of ANY situational rules - the fumble inside of 2 min and 5 min of each half etc was put in place because of a bad non-call of Stabler’s forward pass on the “holy roller” play. I don’t like patch jobs - just get the call right - don’t change the rules because of a controversial play. And I really don’t like that something is ok for 53 minutes but not ok for 7 - if you fumble the ball and your teammate recovers for a FD or TD in the first quarter, why is that ok but not in the last 5 min of the game? I think rules should be consistent for 60 minutes.

Some franchises haven’t recovered an onside kick in decades. Miami has recovered at least 3 within the last 5 years or so lol

Something definitely needs to change regarding onside kicks.

The percentage of successful onside kicks went from being in the 13-20% range until 2017, to under 8% in 2018 and was at 6% after week 11 in 2019 after changing the rules.

Something definitely needs to change regarding onside kicks.

The percentage of successful onside kicks went from being in the 13-20% range until 2017, to under 8% in 2018 and was at 6% after week 11 in 2019 after changing the rules.

Anyone have an idea how often 'forced' onside kicks succeed compared to surprise kicks? For example, team A scores with exactly 2 minutes left in 4Q and down by 6. Onside kick is essentially 'forced' on team A. Compare that to an onside kick to start off 2Q - a 'surprise' kick. Maybe eliminate the 'hands' team of team B.

Back
Top Bottom