Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
Via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, safety Reshad Jones is the big outlier among the current roster, which could lead to a move later this offseason or certainly next year.

It’s not that the 31-year-old Jones isn’t playing well. He had three interceptions last season, tied for the team lead. But he signed a five-year, $60 million extension in 2017, and it would cost more to cut him than keep him now. Releasing or trading him now would cause a huge dead money hit on the salary cap, while a deal after June 1 would make it effectively a wash against the cap (saving $100,000) over the $17.16 million he’s scheduled to count now.

The Dolphins have younger (i.e. cheaper) options at safety, including Minkah Fitzpatrick and T.J. McDonald, so they could withstand the departure more easily than some other positions, where they’ve shed veterans without backfilling.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/29/dolphins-purge-may-not-be-over/

would I be surprised.... no, but I don't think jones is going anywhere. next year is a lot more likely.
Armando has been off lately. he is on the tank train, and has let it blind his judgement on a lot of things imo

Jones is basically untouchable right now with that contract

If this article is correct after June 1st cutting or trading Jones saves 100,000 on the cap. If that’s the case I’d say he’s gone.

If this article is correct after June 1st cutting or trading Jones saves 100,000 on the cap. If that’s the case I’d say he’s gone.

Saves $100k . . . .while taking on more than $17 million in dead cap.

Nah, he is uncuttable right now, pre or post June 1st, because the salary is fully guaranteed.

The only shot Miami has is trading him during camp if a team has a major injury and eating some of the salary in the process.

Nobody is paying Reshad Jones a 13 million dollar base.

Saves $100k . . . .while taking on more than $17 million in dead cap.

Nah, he is uncuttable right now, pre or post June 1st, because the salary is fully guaranteed.

The only shot Miami has is trading him during camp if a team has a major injury and eating some of the salary in the process.

Nobody is paying Reshad Jones a 13 million dollar base.

Agreed! $100k is a joke in the NFL.

I could see this. Cutting him would cost cap space this year, but would free up 2020. If this is a true throwaway season this would make sense. I’m not sure that a free lancing safety fits into Flores defense.

I could see this. Cutting him would cost cap space this year, but would free up 2020. If this is a true throwaway season this would make sense. I’m not sure that a free lancing safety fits into Flores defense.

Its less about the cap space/hit and more about still writing him a $13 million dollar check because his base is guaranteed.

With Suh and Tannehill . . . .the guaranteed money was gone. That is not the case here.

Reshad Jones is still a very good football player, and still by far the best safety on the roster. Cutting him should be out of the question altogether.

I totally agree but he's 31 now and clearly not part of our future, we need all these older guys off the payroll ASAP in my view, do whatever it takes.

The extensions for Suh and Jones should have been nixed by Ross. The only time it could make sense to nuke your cap situation is if you've got a true contender that needs one more piece and youve got a very short title-window. These moves were made by people just trying to save their jobs by any means necessary.
The owner needs to know when to say when

Back
Top Bottom