Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Purge May Not Be Over

There is always the chance we win the lottery and he earns every penny, playing amazing until he's 36, then rides off into the sunset after we win the superbowl.

Okay.. back to my realistic downer posts

His total cap number is $17 million this year, $15 million in 2020 and $14.5 million in 2021. There a huge dead cap numbers associated each year of his contract through 2021. I agree it may be difficult to move him and I am good with that. I have always liked Jones play and the "fire in his belly." I remember he was not a big Adam Gase fan which his conflict was a clue for us as he has been a good player for the dolphins and of good character. That being said, it would not surprise me if we trade him during the season to a team that is making a run and is in need of defense. Desperation can sometimes bring out a better deal for the fins.

His shoulders are shot. Trade if you can or just take the hit. They will be lucky if he sees the field 8 to 9 games. Even then will not be a 100%. Great player still might have bit left in the tank. But we dont want to win this year. Lets just have one really bad season. Then aim for the stars! So tired of being the best of the worst teams. For what 20 years.....

It may be difficult to cut him post June 1st, this year, like many have said. But I wouldn't discount this new regime and Ross, this time around. If they are hell bent on moving on, Miami may very well just cut him, if they find a young suitable replacement, with potential, in the coming draft? If Miami chooses to keep him, than I would think next offseason in 2020, Jones becomes a very likely cut candidate. Miami seems very open to ridding itself of past mistakes, from a financial standpoint.

This is not directed at anyone here, more Armando than anyone, but WHY do people keep missing the point about these salary issues?

Seriously. It's frustrating.

Being forced to keep Reshad Jones has nothing to do with "dead money". It doesn't. Period. Exclamation point.

It has everything to do with the fact Miami would be forced to issue about $11 million worth of game checks to Reshad Jones in 2019, cash money coming out of Steven Ross's accounts and going into Reshad Jones's accounts, while he's playing for ANOTHER team.

Dead money is about what has ALREADY been paid, but not yet officially "expensed".

This is about guaranteed salary, which is money that HAS NOT been paid, but will come due in the future. Miami doesn't want to pay the guy to NOT play football for them...unless they're getting a draft pick in return.

If they can find a trade, I suspect they will execute it. Keep an eye on Jacksonville.

They can certainly absorb any dead money with $40 million in cap room this year and $100 million in 2020. A trade would be ideal, TJ can play SS and Jones might actually fetch a decent pick

If the Dolphins are planning on having more cap room in 2020, and Jones is not in their future plans, the only thing that makes sense is to trade him for ANYTHING before June 1st. Aside from that, it would make more sense to literally bench him until 2020 and then try to trade him again than to do anything else. That's how weird his contract is.

From Spotrac - 2019 figures:

PRE-6/1 RELEASE
2019 Dead Cap: $25,350,000 2019 Cap Savings: $-8,190,000

PRE-6/1 TRADE

2019 Dead Cap: $12,135,000 2019 Cap Savings: $5,025,000

POST-6/1 RELEASE

2019 Dead Cap: $17,260,000 2020 Dead Cap: $8,090,000 2019 Cap Savings: $-100,000

POST-6/1 TRADE

2019 Dead Cap: $4,045,000 2020 Dead Cap: $8,090,000 2019 Cap Savings: $13,115,000

This is not directed at anyone here, more Armando than anyone, but WHY do people keep missing the point about these salary issues?

Seriously. It's frustrating.

Being forced to keep Reshad Jones has nothing to do with "dead money". It doesn't. Period. Exclamation point.

It has everything to do with the fact Miami would be forced to issue about $11 million worth of game checks to Reshad Jones in 2019, cash money coming out of Steven Ross's accounts and going into Reshad Jones's accounts, while he's playing for ANOTHER team.

Dead money is about what has ALREADY been paid, but not yet officially "expensed".

This is about guaranteed salary, which is money that HAS NOT been paid, but will come due in the future. Miami doesn't want to pay the guy to NOT play football for them...unless they're getting a draft pick in return.

If they can find a trade, I suspect they will execute it. Keep an eye on Jacksonville.

I wonder if it's feasible for Reshad to re-work his deal to facilitate this, CK. Yeah, he might forego dollars but if the trade off is he gets to play for a much better team than Miami figures to be in the twilight of his career he may be amenable to it. I just cannot see a team taking on that contract as is.

I wonder if it's feasible for Reshad to re-work his deal to facilitate this, CK. Yeah, he might forego dollars but if the trade off is he gets to play for a much better team than Miami figures to be in the twilight of his career he may be amenable to it. I just cannot see a team taking on that contract as is.

Reshad doesn't strike me as a guy who would leave a dime on the table if that dime was his.

I don't see Jones getting traded on his current contract and doubt he would restructure like Quinn did. He has $13M and 11.5M base salary over the next two years and still has 25M guaranteed remaining I believe. His age is also a factor at 31.

There would be a drop-off in talent moving from Jones to MCD but he is younger and cheaper. Could also be a better trade candidate. TJ is only making 5-6M a year and is 3 years younger.

If we are building for 2020 and beyond then neither is really a long term option anyway.

if cut post June the dead money is still over 17mill
In 2020 thought he can be cut and the dead money would "only" be just over 4mill
in 2021 we'd take another hit of just over 4mill

If we manage the cap correctly from now on then we can afford the 4mill in 2020 & 2021
But like it's been said already, we're stuck with him for now. I could see a trade right before the regular season or even after but we'd still get a hit(which we can afford) but getting a pick would be nice. I hope this FO never gives out a contract this bad again.

Back
Top Bottom