Dolphins Reach Out To These Supplemental Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Miami, like every team, attended the recent Pro Day for Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal, who is considered a third-round talent by some league executives, according to former Cowboys personnel man Gil Brandt and ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
    Also, the Dolphins recently had a private interview with Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander, according to a source. Miami also attended his Pro Day.\

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article214269469.html

Ray R likes this.
  2. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Beal might turn out to the more prized prospect, but I really prefer Alexander for his size and playing style. Would love to have Howard, Tankersly, Lippett, Alexander, McCain and Armstrong as the corners in 2018 with Jones, Fitzpatrick, McDonald and Aikens at safety.

Ray R likes this.
  3. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

CAN ANY OF THOSE PLAYERS KICK A FIELD GOAL?

4. gregorygrant83

]

Only need to worry about extra points and we have a young kicker for that job.

Always felt kicker's fg % could be misleading anyways. If you have two kickers with 25 fg attempts each an one has five attemptes of 45 yards or more and the other has 10 of course you would expect one or two more misses by the kicker attempting more longer field goals.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    crumpdaddy likes this.
  5. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

granted it wasn't in clutch or pressure situations but I think Sanders was supposed to look great in OTAs, booming leg, seemed like something like 15/16 on FG's...I wouldn't quote myself on that exact number, but IRC that's what it was

Ben Had and Ray R like this.
  6. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan A True Fan

What pick would you give up for him? I don't know much about either of them, but are either worthy of an early pick, or a later one?

Ray R likes this.
  7. gregorygrant83

A 5th for sure maybe a 4th. Beal is expected to cost a 3rd so a 4th seems fair. If the team was remotely considering drafting a corner next year than I think spending a 2019 4th on Alexander and getting his services a year early is worth it. I would suspect Alexander, with a years worth of NFL coaching and experience, would be further ahead in 2019 than most corners slotted in the 3rd or 4th round.

Ray R, Njphinsfan and Etuoo33 like this.
  8. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

Im surprised due to the off the field issues, but i would give a 4th for alexander. a 4th would be perfect. he was originally projected a 2-4 round pick for the 19 draft anyway.

Ray R likes this.
  9. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Big outside corner sounds like a solid use of resources in the Supp Draft. I like this FOs talent recognition and recruitment methods the last few years. Can't lie.

Ray R, SF Dolphin Fan and kevphin like this.
  10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

If he's worth it, great. I'll wait and see what the FO determines their value is.

Every team in the league is looking to bolster their secondary if they can right now so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

This team has used it's mid round draft picks wisely recently so I think they have a good understanding of the value of a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Ray R likes this.
  11. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

length strength isnt the concern. kick it as far as you want, but its all rather pointless if it doesnt go between the posts

and zero-pressure kicks in otas with no opposition are less than meaningless for an nfl level kicker

Ray R and miamiron like this.
  12. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Alexander sounds intriguing but his numbers aren’t that great.

4.61 40
    7.18 3 cone

Ray R likes this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

From what I'm hearing, which granted is just speculation, around the 5th round for Beal and Alexander. They are probably better than that, but there's also a reason they are in the supplemental draft.

Ben Had, Ray R, Njphinsfan and 3 others like this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Sam Beal reminds me a little bit of Nolan Carroll whereas Brandon Bryant reminds me of Yeremiah Bell.

I'd be pretty interested in Bryant. Don't really know his back story or why he's going Supplemental, why he didn't play a bigger role in the defense. That's a big part of the puzzle to be missing so I can't claim he's a must-have sort of guy or anything. But he's very talented.

Ben Had, Ray R and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  15. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Greg Joseph
    1-1 from 1-19 yards
    9-10 from 20-29 yards
    6-9 from 30-39 yards
    7-10 from 40-49 yards
    2-5 from 50+

Jason Sanders
    1-19 zero
    7-8 from 20-29 yards
    7-10 from 30-39 yards
    7-12 from 40-49 yards
    4-5 from 50+

Wishfishin and Ray R like this.
  16. gregorygrant83

Now let's see what they look like with NFL level coaching, blocking, a snapper and holder. Those things can impact a kicker use to playing with players that were backups for teams that had rosters full of starters that weren't really borderline Division I level players. Of course on the flip side of the coin we have to see what they look like going up against NFL level talent and speed rushing the kick and the pressure of in the NFL. They could both fall flat on their face, but there will be vets available if needed.

tay0365, Ray R and Superself like this.
  17. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

If you guys really want to ramp up the speculation let's figure out how to acquire Aaron Donald.

Conventional wisdom says LA would be nuts to trade him but.....

They have an offensive minded head coach who's offense revolves around Todd Gurley who will need to be paid next offseason and the talented young QB Jared Goff who might command the highest contract (or close to) in the NFL in 2 years. Brandin Cooks is a free agent at seasons end so expect that deal to come before all other's as they just gave up a 1st round pick to NE to get him. Couple that with the 2nd rounder they lost "renting" Sammy Watkins and the 2019 2nd rounder they gave up for Marcus Peters (who will be a $15 million a year guy himself soon) they need to recoup some high picks.

It's very possible the LAR view Suh as a cheaper alternative over the next 4-5 years rather than to sign Donald to a $25M+ a year deal.

Certainly their plan for 2018 is to keep Donald around on a loaded roster but they've had to have some level of internal discussion about unloading AR for a haul.

If a large portion of the football watching world thinks we will be drafting high next year, let's use that slight to our advantage. Sounds nuts but they have to be thinking about cap flexibility with what they've done this year.

Is it going to happen? Nope. Because signing him is the problem to begin with.

But it's not as crazy an idea as you thought when you read the first line of this post.

I'm bored during a slow day at work, sue me. Suh me? No. Donald me? Yes.

1 dol fan and Ray R like this.
  18. gregorygrant83

Donald is a lot like Suh, Great players/dominate at their position. But you can win with lesser talent at that position if you build the rest of the defense correctly. If you build the defense incorrectly even the most talented defensive tackles are vastly wasted. Like putting the worlds best car engine in a Geo Metro.

tay0365, Fintastic17, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

There are two sides to that. One, we tend to overrate the value of a guy like an Aaron Donald. Two, we tend to overrate the value of the assets that are sent in trade for him.

If you've got the right QB and the right culture and an inventive coaching staff that's going to matter a lot more than an Aaron Donald. But it will also tend to matter more than the package of players/picks you send for Aaron Donald.

Ray R likes this.
  20. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Yeah bozo Tannenbaum would wreck our salary cap again by throwing about $50 million per season to Aaron Donald.

21. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

We've been avoiding these big ticket moves for a couple of years now. Look at our roster, that's how you build a team the right way. I'm not saying we're done building but I'd like to steer clear of crazy FA contracts. We just are in the midst of getting rid of top heavy deals lets not add any.

22. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

that's why I mentioned he went 15/16 with no pressure or in a clutch situation. you mentioned that this should be nothing to an NFL level kicker. so hopefully that means hes an NFL level kicker not just a college player with a big leg :)

Ray R likes this.
  23. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like this post because it brings up the point that there is often missing information that makes it hard to fully evaluate a player. This may be assumed by many posters, but it is still nice to see it accounted for in a post.

tay0365 and ckparrothead like this.
  24. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Nice post and it made me laugh. Thank you. I needed that.

25. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

NFL Trade Rumors has a recent headline that the Miami Dolphins had a private workout with Alexander. But when you read the article there is no mention of the workout. It reports what was earlier reported that Miami attended his pro day and had a private meeting with him. Wonder what's really going on? Does Miami have real draftable interest in this kid? But it looks like the article is very misleading. When you consider the headline.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018 at 12:06 PM
  26. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I feel like we’re set on corners. Jalen Davis can handle the backup duty hopefully with lippett

27. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Alexander's running mate at the other corner spot, Mook Reynolds, was just dismissed also. I had him among my top 10 Senior cornerbacks for 2019 along with Alexander.

Fintastic17 likes this.
  28. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Does Reynolds have any option other than to wait for the 2019 NFL Draft?

29. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Probably not. Doubt there's time for him to file a formal petition to enter the 2018 Supplemental Draft since it's to take place in a couple of days. Then have a workout for teams, etc.

His best bet is to transfer to an FCS team and hope for immediate eligibility.....go ahead and play the 2018 season at that school, and enter the 2019 draft.

30. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

I love the due diligence but I think we have just as good on our roster right now. Jalen Davis have as much or more potential than either of there guys.

31. gregorygrant83

I disagree. I think Beal and Alexander would have been drafted on day one (1st round) or day two (2nd or 3rd round) in 2019.

32. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Beal to the Giants, Alexander to Washington.

Ray R likes this.
  33. gregorygrant83

Beal drafted in the 3rd round and Alexander in the 6th. I would have given a 6th for Alexander, but the Fins still have plenty of youth at the position.

outlawd2u and Ray R like this.
  34. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

We can only hope the Dolphins have finally learned their lesson.

Ray R likes this.