Dolphins related: Joe Theismann story about Shula | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins related: Joe Theismann story about Shula

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of Theismann at all, but he tells a good story if you start at the 17:00 mark or so about the Dolphins drafting him, how he ended up in Canada, and how Shula came looking for him when he signed with Toronto.
I didn't know any of this- I knew Miami drafted him and that he signed with Canada, but not all the story behind it.
Worth a listen if you can.

Without directly saying it, sounds like he went to CFL to avoid the US military draft.

Sure the money Toronto offered was a factor. Maybe the Dolphins negotiation was a factor. But when he talks about the almost being drafted into the Army, Vietnam and not knowing where the country was going... sure sounds like Canada sounded like a safer option.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Theismann at all, but he tells a good story if you start at the 17:00 mark or so about the Dolphins drafting him, how he ended up in Canada, and how Shula came looking for him when he signed with Toronto.
I didn't know any of this- I knew Miami drafted him and that he signed with Canada, but not all the story behind it.
I was never a fan either, especially when he beat Miami in the Super Bowl. But, that was interesting, and I guess I hate him a little less now.

Thank you for posting. He always rubbed me the wrong way but interesting to hear.

He actually changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman thinking it would help him in the voting. Finished 2nd to Jim Plunkett.

Theismann, whose last name was actually pronounced THEES-man, recounted in 2007 that it was Notre Dame publicity man Roger Valdiserri who insisted that he change the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with "Heisman"

I was never a fan either, especially when he beat Miami in the Super Bowl. But, that was interesting, and I guess I hate him a little less now.

Well...if my memory is still intact 😂....if you read up on what he said at the time you might change your mind 😂 to disliking him more...

Thank you for posting. He always rubbed me the wrong way but interesting to hear.

He actually changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with Heisman thinking it would help him in the voting. Finished 2nd to Jim Plunkett.
Yeah, personally not a fan, but it was an interesting story.

Yeah, didn't he say some real demeaning stuff after that game?

I can't remember now unfortunately if it was after or way before like when we drafted him, I'd have to go back to look ...BUT...when many years ago I found out about it all and I looked into it I thought 'Man, that dudes a real bleeeeeep' 😂 glad we didn't get him with that attitude...

Interesting article where Theismann wrote a letter to his younger self back in 2015...

Whether you want to believe this or not, Joe, you don’t know everything. Your hubris will make you attempt to navigate the draft process without the help of an agent. You’re not as good at negotiating as you think you are. Your refusal to get a professional advisor will cause you to get emotionally involved in the business side of things, which will backfire on you.

I shouldn’t have to tell you this, but maybe think twice about signing a contract with the Toronto Argonauts after you’ve already agreed to a contract with the Miami Dolphins. Coach Don Shula will rightfully rip you a new one for doing so. You can at least take solace in the fact that you will never again in your life have a grown man yell at you that much.

Looking back, you won’t regret signing with Toronto—they simply made a better offer—but you’ll always have a part of you that knows that Don Shula was the kind of coach who could have gotten the most out of you. He was a demanding, tough disciplinarian, which I wish you had the wisdom to realize is exactly what you need at this phase of your life.

Back
Top Bottom