Dolphins related: Joe Theismann story about Shula | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins related: Joe Theismann story about Shula

I'm not a fan of Theismann at all, but he tells a good story if you start at the 17:00 mark or so about the Dolphins drafting him, how he ended up in Canada, and how Shula came looking for him when he signed with Toronto.
I didn't know any of this- I knew Miami drafted him and that he signed with Canada, but not all the story behind it.
Worth a listen if you can.

Had Theismann stayed with Miami, have to wonder if the Dolphins draft Dan Marino?

Possibly, but teams held onto quarterbacks back then. I think it would have been Theismann instead of Woodley.
Or Theismann instead of Strock; we might never have had the hook and lateral.
I feel like Strock was brought in in 1974? ... with Theismann as the backup to Griese, maybe Shula doesn't take Strock.
I think Morral was around till 1975, so with Morrall and Theismann on board, likely there would have no need for the venerable #10.
But who knows???

I feel like Strock was brought in in 1974? ... with Theismann as the backup to Griese, maybe Shula doesn't take Strock.
I think Morral was around till 1975, so with Morrall and Theismann on board, likely there would have no need for the venerable #10.
But who knows???
The butterfly effect! 😆

I'm not a fan of Theismann at all, but he tells a good story if you start at the 17:00 mark or so about the Dolphins drafting him, how he ended up in Canada, and how Shula came looking for him when he signed with Toronto.
I didn't know any of this- I knew Miami drafted him and that he signed with Canada, but not all the story behind it.
Worth a listen if you can.

That was a really great interview. Later on they showed the Bokamper play. Theisman says no question they would have lost had we scored there

But who knows???
Probably. And we would likely have won another SB w Theisman in ‘81 or ‘82. But guess what? We probably don’t draft Marino either.

Theismann was an arrogant SOB in his younger days....no question. However, like most people, age, maturity and a bit of reflections seem to soften that over time (for some people).

I actually enjoyed his broadcasting days and thought he did a good job on Sunday Night football. I would also add that back in the time he jilted us for Toronto the NFL was a different world financially....with many players having jobs in the off season to support themselves. His first contract with Toronto was for $50,000 dollars a year which means the Fins offered him less.

Also, he was also drafted by the Minnesota Twins in MLB. He was a pretty good athlete.

Him, Paul Mcquire and who was the 3rd guy in the booth with then on SNF?
It was Mike Patrick

Never was a big Joe T fan. I knew about him getting drafted by Miami, forgot that he fell to the fourth round, tho. Karma for a guy that changed the pronunciation of his last name his Senior year at Notre Dame to rhyme with Heisman.

Theismann was an arrogant SOB in his younger days....no question. However, like most people, age, maturity and a bit of reflections seem to soften that over time (for some people).

I actually enjoyed his broadcasting days and thought he did a good job on Sunday Night football. I would also add that back in the time he jilted us for Toronto the NFL was a different world financially....with many players having jobs in the off season to support themselves. His first contract with Toronto was for $50,000 dollars a year which means the Fins offered him less.

Also, he was also drafted by the Minnesota Twins in MLB. He was a pretty good athlete.
He talks about it in the interview. I thought it was great. He’s so intelligent and to your point, age and maturity shows. He flat out says he was annoying as all hell - he joined the skins when they still had Kilmer and Jurgenson and he did not endear himself to them. He said stupid **** about starting, tore up the scout team to show off instead of running the plays so the defense could intercept the ball like the drills were supposed to go etc. He talks about what a chip on his shoulder he had and how it drove him. Apparently he was supposed to be a 1st round pick and he dropped to the fourth and that was a total ego blow. He said, I didn’t understand that the goal was to simply be drafted. But you’re right. The Dolphins offered him 3 years at 35,45,55 and Toronto offered him 50,50,50. Shula flew out to Indiana after Joe signed w Toronto to ream him out for what he deemed as unethical behavior. Miami thought they had him committed. Theisman said he still thinks about how it could have been him going in for Griese in ‘72 and helping win a SB. He absolutely regretted how he handled things. I really liked him on SNF

Back
Top Bottom