Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

No need to die.

Just would like one fan to explain how the OL is more important than the DL or how we have more questions on the OL than the DL at this point. We're down Wilkins and Davis and Ogbah and don't know when Chubb and Phillips will be back and we have people in here who think the only course of action is to take an OL with the first pick, or worse yet, the first two picks.

Waiting for anybody to give me a name of this mythical player we can get at #21 who can play guard his rookie year then transition to LT in 2025. Or tell me how a center who has snapping issues and doesn't have the quickness to thrive in a zone blocking scheme is a good first round choice, not to mention the fact we just paid a free agent $7mil per to play his position?

"We'll play him at right guard until he becomes quicker and learns how to snap better" isn't a good answer.

I'd rather have a DT with some talent or a pass rusher who will get some meaningful snaps in 2024 and be there when Chubb is gone. Or a bigger WR who will play now and be around when Hill and/or Waddle move on.
Yeah. I just made a point in a different post that likely six and possibly seven tackles will be off the board by pick 21 if you count Barton as a tackle. To me, it looks more and more likely that Miami's first pick at 21 will either be a WR or defensive lineman unless one of those offensive tackles slips to their spot or Miami trades down.

No need to die.

Just would like one fan to explain how the OL is more important than the DL or how we have more questions on the OL than the DL at this point. We're down Wilkins and Davis and Ogbah and don't know when Chubb and Phillips will be back and we have people in here who think the only course of action is to take an OL with the first pick, or worse yet, the first two picks.

Waiting for anybody to give me a name of this mythical player we can get at #21 who can play guard his rookie year then transition to LT in 2025. Or tell me how a center who has snapping issues and doesn't have the quickness to thrive in a zone blocking scheme is a good first round choice, not to mention the fact we just paid a free agent $7mil per to play his position?

"We'll play him at right guard until he becomes quicker and learns how to snap better" isn't a good answer.

I'd rather have a DT with some talent or a pass rusher who will get some meaningful snaps in 2024 and be there when Chubb is gone. Or a bigger WR who will play now and be around when Hill and/or Waddle move on.
You very well may get your wish. Edge (or WR) could be the proverbial BPA and then we hit that and look to fill needs later.

Just would like one fan to explain how the OL is more important than the DL or how we have more questions on the OL than the DL at this point.

It's obvious to anyone with the gift of sight. They just signed 6 or 7 DLs who the camp survivors of are going to rotate in by committee with Sieler. The offense practically collapsed at the end of last year when the OL injuries piled up. Hunt is gone. If the Fins went your route, Eichenberg would be a starting guard, and that's just insanity. Wynn can handle LG if he doesn't get hurt again, but I'm not relying on that. Two or more new OGs are needed.

Waiting for anybody to give me a name of this mythical player we can get at #21 who can play guard his rookie year then transition to LT in 2025.

That's a silly idea, and I've never suggested such a thing. Why in the hell would we want to draft a guard and move him away from his best position? LT/RT are set for the moment. Center spot is filled for the moment. Guard is the biggest hole remaining NOW.

I'd rather have some quality IOLs so Tua's not getting rushers in his face and the running game still works at the end of the year. They're there to be taken in this draft. By comparison, what you want are luxuries, not needs.

not drafting OL with our top pick would be a big mistake.....there's just no other way to say it. IOL is our weakest spot and nothing we do will matter unless we fix the OL

IMO neither OL or DL are such big needs that we "must" draft one over the other. In my perfect (realistic) draft, Fautanu falls to #21. He's a perfect fit that could play G immediately and replace Armstead in a year. But I would say he's a 50/50 chance to be there at our pick. I also really like Barton and would be fine with him at 21. He could play G immediately and has the position flexibility to play T or C.

But outside of those two, I would probably take a DL player over any other lower OL prospect. And while Fautanu is my top choice, there are several DL which I have on the same tier as Barton. While my personal preference would be to take Barton amongst that group, I see it as perfectly reasonable for someone to prefer Latu or Byron Murphy or a few others.

I don't really love the WR options there, although I would be fine with Leggette and a couple of others in a trade down. I have WR as a need as well so it's not about having OL or DL as bigger needs. Rather it's about whom I see likely to be available at different points in the draft.

I also see S as a need, but there's no way S would be a consideration at 21.

The bottom line is that I expect 21 to be about BPA amongst our need positions and also considering positional value. To me that suggests that if our first pick is is at 21 it will most likely to be OL or DL and anybody claiming that one or the other is absolutely right or wrong is just being a drama queen.

not drafting OL with our top pick would be a big mistake.....there's just no other way to say it. IOL is our weakest spot and nothing we do will matter unless we fix the OL
The first round is not the only place to draft an interior offensive lineman. In fact, it's kind of foolish to draft an interior offensive lineman in the first round unless he eventually projects to be a tackle in the future. Miami has three primary needs heading into this draft (WR, DL, and OL) but have only two prime draft assets. One of those needs isn't going to be addressed in this draft unless they trade down. I wouldn't bypass better players at another position of need to force addressing the interior offensive line issue.

IMO neither OL or DL are such big needs that we "must" draft one over the other. In my perfect (realistic) draft, Fautanu falls to #21. He's a perfect fit that could play G immediately and replace Armstead in a year. But I would say he's a 50/50 chance to be there at our pick. I also really like Barton and would be fine with him at 21. He could play G immediately and has the position flexibility to play T or C.

But outside of those two, I would probably take a DL player over any other lower OL prospect. And while Fautanu is my top choice, there are several DL which I have on the same tier as Barton. While my personal preference would be to take Barton amongst that group, I see it as perfectly reasonable for someone to prefer Latu or Byron Murphy or a few others.

I don't really love the WR options there, although I would be fine with Leggette and a couple of others in a trade down. I have WR as a need as well so it's not about having OL or DL as bigger needs. Rather it's about whom I see likely to be available at different points in the draft.

I also see S as a need, but there's no way S would be a consideration at 21.

The bottom line is that I expect 21 to be about BPA amongst our need positions and also considering positional value. To me that suggests that if our first pick is is at 21 it will most likely to be OL or DL and anybody claiming that one or the other is absolutely right or wrong is just being a drama queen.
Well said. I agree with this, If Fautanu is there run to the podium, if not take the best player. I like Barton is well but think we'd have better options at 21.

S and WR are also big needs and could be addressed in Round 2

Ok, but who can you get at 21 who will give you draft value and be able to contribute in Year 1?
I don't see that guy, and you can force at LT like Jordan Morgan but you'd be passing on better players at other need positions.

This OL at all costs philosophy is not the way to go unless the right player at the right spot is there.
Morgan would be fine.

You are still drafting an offensive tackle in the first round if six of them are selected before Miami is on the clock? It's possible that seven of them could be gone if you count Barton as a tackle and he gets drafted ahead of Miami's spot.
Absolutely... this is the best year for linemen that I've ever seen.

Probably means that he received no real interest anywhere else.

Now we wait on the numbers/guaranteed money.
After as well as he played last season, he deserves a raise. Hope the team showed their appreciation. I honestly don't understand why no other team would compete for his services. Age I guess, and scheme limitations.

It's obvious to anyone with the gift of sight. They just signed 6 or 7 DLs who the camp survivors of are going to rotate in by committee with Sieler. The offense practically collapsed at the end of last year when the OL injuries piled up. Hunt is gone. If the Fins went your route, Eichenberg would be a starting guard, and that's just insanity. Wynn can handle LG if he doesn't get hurt again, but I'm not relying on that. Two or more new OGs are needed.

That's a silly idea, and I've never suggested such a thing. Why in the hell would we want to draft a guard and move him away from his best position? LT/RT are set for the moment. Center spot is filled for the moment. Guard is the biggest hole remaining NOW.

I'd rather have some quality IOLs so Tua's not getting rushers in his face and the running game still works at the end of the year. They're there to be taken in this draft. By comparison, what you want are luxuries, not needs.
I admire your single-mindedness. Got your position and thankful GM's don't approach drafts with this idea.

Wow, DTs are luxuries. You can sign 6 or 7 released players or cheap free agents and you'll be fine replacing the best DL they've had in a long time. You won't get run on or decline big time as a defense because your only good DT, Zach Seiler, is worn out and ineffective because he never leaves the field and has to play next to a collection of stiffs?

I guess Miami has signed zero options to play guard? Not Wynn, nor Driscoll, R Jones? I know, I know we should have 5 all-Pros and first round picks on that O-line at all times. They'll catch, tackle and fill all the holes we have on defense. And how many guards do you want to draft in a draft where we have 6 total picks? You said multiple, so 2-3? We should spend 33-50% of our draft capital on one of the least impactful positions on the field.

I guess the entire game is played by. offensive linemen, the only crucial injuries we suffered were to offensive linemen. Chubb and Phillips, both WRs and both pass rushers and our best safety getting hurt last had no impact on the team's chances to be a contender?

I don't like Eichenberg and would never want him to start a game. I don't think he will unless a starter goes down, there will be better options to play guard than Eich

Back
Top Bottom