Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign Kendall Lamm

Brewer- downgrade
Armstead- he’ll give us 5 games
Jackson- hopefully solid
Wynn- perennial injury winner like armstead
As of right now the OL is weaker than last year. Draft better be OL heavy .

I wouldn't go that direction, at least in rd1. I question if he has the lateral quickness to fit a zone scheme, particularly on wider run plays.

He chose not to run the the 40, 3 cone or shuttle so what do we really know about his relative athleticism.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Quinn Meinerz
Overview
Broadly built center prospect with below-average length but above-average upper-body power. Powers-Johnson isn’t much of a knee-bender, which impacts his pad level and drive leverage, but he can torque and toss opponents around with some regularity at the point. Powers-Johnson is a fierce competitor with a salty disposition but needs to improve his first-phase technique to create more consistent block sustains. Despite average athleticism, he doesn’t seem to have many issues in pass protection, as he works with clear eyes, a wide base and good discipline to keep his weight back. His rookie season could be bumpy if he has to play early, but he should come out on the other side as a long-time starter.

Strengths
Carries broad chest, thick hips and meaty hands.
Heavy hands hammer A-gap threats when protecting the quarterback.
Processes gaming fronts without overreacting or lunging.
Plays with a rugged, disdainful attitude toward opponents.
Jolts defenders around with powerful upper body.
Plays with adequate footwork for double-teams and work-up blocks.

Weaknesses
Relatively limited experience as a full-time starter.
Would like to see better pad level and explosion into first contact.
Below-average body control to consistently square up moving targets.
Lacks lateral quickness to reach play-side defenders at a high rate.
Limited reactive quickness if he’s isolated against an athletic rusher.

Kyle Crabbs said many of the same things but added that JPJ has snapping issues. Add this to his penalties and lack of lateral quickness and he's not a great fit for this system at center and isn't a great option at #21.

Lamm was very underrated and under appreciated here most of the season…

Then, as our entire offense and offensive line imploded by end of the year, somehow he drew an unusual amount of scorn… referred to as an average level backup at best by a lot of people.

Dude played starter amount of snaps and was solid. He is what I consider an A level backup. This is the type of depth pieces that make for competitive teams.

Our starting OL is definitely weaker than last season as of right now but I would argue our OL depth behind them is already stronger. We are one RG away from
looking “about” as talented as last season with definitely better in terms of long term durability.

Great signing.
Underrated yes, under appreciated don't think so. Heard all year long how happy we were to have him. So don't know where you get under appreciated from

DL is NOT a bigger need on this team than OL right now. I will die on this hill.

/pound table for OL

My thoughts have not changed one iota. Lamm will be 32, Armstead is a part time player. Both will be gone in 2025.

Jackson has advanced to league average.

Kion Smith will be in his third year of being our project swing Tackle.

I'm drafting an Offensive Tackle.

These part time players are band aids at best. We NEED a long term answer here, and this frittering around that some of you think is a long term answer... it isn't.

Draft an Offensive Tackle with our first pick. It's the way to go.
But, there might not be a good one available at #21? I think they have set themselves up for BPA unless they move down, which I like if they don't drop too far.

I think this is an excellent signing. He is a very competent offensive lineman and it won’t surprise me if he doesn’t end up starting several games next year even if the OL doesn’t suffer multiple injuries.

While I still believe the Dolphins are leaning toward drafting an offensive lineman at 21. This signing might allow them to draft a defensive lineman with that pick and instead wait until the 2nd round to draft an offensive lineman.
Huge!

This signing also helps Miami to draft BPA at 21. With the amount of QB, WR and OT coming off the board in the top 20, there will be a certifiable stud availabe at 21.
No one believes me but it will be the WR from LSU if he’s there, unless of course if we sign a FA WR

DL is NOT a bigger need on this team than OL right now. I will die on this hill.

/pound table for OL
No need to die.

Just would like one fan to explain how the OL is more important than the DL or how we have more questions on the OL than the DL at this point. We're down Wilkins and Davis and Ogbah and don't know when Chubb and Phillips will be back and we have people in here who think the only course of action is to take an OL with the first pick, or worse yet, the first two picks.

Waiting for anybody to give me a name of this mythical player we can get at #21 who can play guard his rookie year then transition to LT in 2025. Or tell me how a center who has snapping issues and doesn't have the quickness to thrive in a zone blocking scheme is a good first round choice, not to mention the fact we just paid a free agent $7mil per to play his position?

"We'll play him at right guard until he becomes quicker and learns how to snap better" isn't a good answer.

I'd rather have a DT with some talent or a pass rusher who will get some meaningful snaps in 2024 and be there when Chubb is gone. Or a bigger WR who will play now and be around when Hill and/or Waddle move on.

My thoughts have not changed one iota. Lamm will be 32, Armstead is a part time player. Both will be gone in 2025.

Jackson has advanced to league average.

Kion Smith will be in his third year of being our project swing Tackle.

I'm drafting an Offensive Tackle.

These part time players are band aids at best. We NEED a long term answer here, and this frittering around that some of you think is a long term answer... it isn't.

Draft an Offensive Tackle with our first pick. It's the way to go.
You are still drafting an offensive tackle in the first round if six of them are selected before Miami is on the clock? It's possible that seven of them could be gone if you count Barton as a tackle and he gets drafted ahead of Miami's spot.

Back
Top Bottom