Dolphins resign McKinney | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins resign McKinney

I get the impression they were waiting for a decent Guard or Center to become avail. (see B.Olsen, Titans), but it did not happen, while the interior FA OL avail. were obvioulsly not appealing enough for whatever reasons.

So, you re-sign Seth for really a 1 year deal and sign 1 more later when certain FA's are willing to play for less as summer draws near and they still don't have a job. I'll bet Seth's price went down a bit as time went by and he didn't receive any earth shattering offers elsewhere.

Whether it's before or after the draft, it's my guess there will ultimately be 3 starting-quality guys competing for 2 spots: C & RG. Makes sense.

Lastly, regardless of what we think of Seth he is correct, he did improve under Houck, even if it was only going from incompetent to competent. He'll have to show more tho' if he want's to start again.

SECfootball said:
Are there any good centers in this years draft? I can't think of any big names.

Nick Mangold could be a good one, ok size (6'3....300 pounds), good quickness, and he impressed many at the senior bowl, as well as the combines, he plays the the position very cerebral, but has enough power to hold his position....fits great in a zone block scheme.

Some people like Greg Eslinger, and he does look very technically sound, but of what I have read and seen of him, he still is going to get bull charged to easily with to little size or strength.

I personally would wait till the 4th round and take Mike Degory, very good size (6'5.....305 could add more muscle weight without any problems of slowing him down), not very quick, and might need to hit the weights a bit more, but the guy is a Feisty overachieving player that will give you 110%, and will not quit. With the right people (wink wink) and a little work, this guy will be tough to keep off the starting position by mid to late season....worse case scenario early next year.

Phinanthropist said:
His play improved substantially last year. Give the guy his due.

Considering the current OC market, this is a good signing.

ummmmm, the current market is staring you right in the face.

Considering that half the money is a roster bonus next year, he's not getting all that much, even if he ends up on the bench. Since he can play G/C, he fills the depth slot well, and I would guess he won't be getting the bonus next year whether we cut him or renegotiate.

twohype said:
Well - I still say McKinney is pure crap:shakeno: . King Saban missed the the mark on this one the bottomline McKinney is pure CRAP:fire: . I hope C-Pep is able to run because if McKinney starts da middle of da Phins line will be crap, DT's will be running though the middle like water down a toilet :eek:

Terrible decision. I agree. I was so looking forward to possibly getting Mawae so we could get rid of McKinney for good.

My guess is that Neal, Ashworth and others were much more expensive to acquire and unknown quantities...whereas McK is known...both his weaknesses and his strengths...but I'd still rather see an upgrade to the position..if he does start, we're still better overall with LJ as the LT....

REACHING for a C at #16 would be a 10x bigger mistake than just sticking with Seth. He wasn't even that bad last year. We had a great ypc and gave up among the least sacks on the year....all this with Seth McKinnney starting. It's not the end of the world people.

If there is one mistake I believe Saban made this off season it would be NOT signing Mawae when we had the chance. But I guess you can't have everything....

Well he is not the worst Center in the league and this gives us depth and if we don't sign anyone else our line is set! He will fight with Hadnot for the starting position tho. When there is not a strong market you sign the guy to a 1 year deal and next year we find a center. Not a big deal

dolfan4good said:
If there is one mistake I believe Saban made this off season it would be NOT signing Mawae when we had the chance. But I guess you can't have everything....

I agree completely with this too.

Why did we resign this guy? He's terrible. Wasn't poor talent at Center in Miin. one of the big reasons Culpepper had a bad year last year?

He gives no push and is the equivalent of a turnstile. Send "sweaty balls" McKinney away!

HADNOT is NOT our answer at CENTER because of his short arms ....

Equally, MCKINNEY is NOT VERY GOOD EITHER .... BUT there aren't a lot of good CENTERS available .... and he is the best we have ... UNFORTUNATELY

Thus, we sign him as 'protection' until next year ...

Back
Top Bottom