Dolphins rookie Cedric Thompson buys homeless man food | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie Cedric Thompson buys homeless man food

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
6_3723429.jpg

(Photo: Jerry Lai, USA TODAY Sports)
When a man approached Dolphins rookie Cedric Thompson with a crazy story in a grocery store parking, he easily could have walked away and ignored the situation.
Instead he listened to the man's story — he said he was only a few months out of jail after a nine-year term — and eventually the stranger admitted he was hungry and wanted food. As Thompson eloquently explained in a blog post, he invited the man to come into Publix with him. He bought the homeless man a 20-piece chicken meal with three sides and a drink. Quite the feast, indeed.
Miami's fifth-round pick eventually drove this person to a nearby McDonald's, conversing along the way. I'll let Thompson's words explain the rest from there.
Before he got out of the car, he thanked me profusely and said, “Thank you so much for what you did. You have no idea what this means to me and to my daughters. Just know that you have my full support.”
This experience made me think about what’s wrong with the world we live in today. We tend to judge people by skin color or status or sex or power or how much money they make. If we can come to a point where we realize that none of these things matter as much as people think they do, then this world would be a much better place. We can’t judge people that we don’t know because we have no idea what they’ve been through. And everybody needs a helping hand every now and then.
http://mia.247sports.com/Headline/Dolphins-rookie-Cedric-Thompson-buys-homeless-man-food-38256437

Noble move on Thompsons part. Though, these things are even more righteous when kept private and gratification isn't sought in the public light. Regardless, kudos to him.

Noble move on Thompsons part. Though, these things are even more righteous when kept private and gratification isn't sought in the public light. Regardless, kudos to him.

There was a time in my life that I would totally agree with you, and to a point still do, but with the amount of dark and depressing stories constantly being circulated about the world/web these days ESPECIALLY when it comes to black athletes in particular. It's nice to see someone doing the right thing for once, and actually have it talked about.

There was a time in my life that I would totally agree with you, and to a point still do, but with the amount of dark and depressing stories constantly being circulated about the world/web these days ESPECIALLY when it comes to black athletes in particular. It's nice to see someone doing the right thing for once, and actually have it talked about.

Good point. It is a relief to hear these types of things as opposed to the usual "news" we are exposed to on a regular basis.

Yeah, this rules. Sure, these acts of charity may seem gratuitously exposed in the public realm, but public awareness is key.

That was a nice gesture but I usually just hand them a 40, cut to the chase. A homeless person getting food as a handout is like getting socks for christmas. It's inevitable that that bucket of chicken is going to get traded for a four pack of Busch and a pack of clippers.

Great story. I know there are some panhandlers out there who are just looking for money to go get a 40 at the liquor store, but sometimes we all need help, even if it's just to talk to someone. Good Job by the rookie.

Good point. It is a relief to hear these types of things as opposed to the usual "news" we are exposed to on a regular basis.

I think, maybe naively, most of the kids in the NFL are good dudes. Problem lies in the fact bad news sells...

Point is, the kids that make it through college and then into the Pros have had a lot of "personal development coaching" and guidance along the way.

Nowadays we're talking HUGE $$ and those kind of resources tend to bring attention to problems that would otherwise be ignored.

But yea, great to see someone actively giving back. More billionaires should do the same IMO.

"Trickle down" just tends to piss on folks.

BNF

For what it is worth, I have known a few billionaires in my lifetime, and they were the most generous hearted, philanthropic people I have ever known. They wished that everyone could, and would, choose to see the world as they did so that they could be multi millionaires or billionaires too. I suspect that sometimes they would love to have close friends as financial equals, so they didn't have to vet everyone's agenda for working that relationship. How refreshing it would be to not have to judge every relationship based upon your power or wealth.

This is cool and all, but I've seen many people do things like this many times. It's not really a story imo. I've given homeless people or just people stuck and in need money, food, or supplies before. I would never however let someone I don't know in my car though. I may be willing to help people out, but I will not chance my life to do so.

[video=youtube;QFrsR9NByc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFrsR9NByc4[/video]

Great job looking out for another person in need.

Back
Top Bottom