Dolphins rookie Cedric Thompson buys homeless man food | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie Cedric Thompson buys homeless man food

IIRC Thompson had a rough upbringing and it's all the more credit to him that he's come out decent and thoughtful and open minded. Watch an interview with him. He exudes intelligence. Whatever happens in his career, he gives you the sense that he'll succeed in life once it's over.

As a player, he aced the metrics. Unfortunately, he doesn't really show much in the way of instincts. Too bad, because if you don't come into the league with that you don't tend to learn it. Personally I'll be rooting for him to beat out Don Jones for a job. You want guys like this in your locker room.

Outstanding. There should be more people like Cedric Thompson.

Maybe others take his example from this story?

That was a nice gesture but I usually just hand them a 40, cut to the chase. A homeless person getting food as a handout is like getting socks for christmas. It's inevitable that that bucket of chicken is going to get traded for a four pack of Busch and a pack of clippers.
that is just not the way to think.

For those brothers slamming him for letting this out, who knows it may have been the NFL's idea for some good publicity since the suspensions and Deflate gate.

For those brothers slamming him for letting this out, who knows it may have been the NFL's idea for some good publicity since the suspensions and Deflate gate.

I don't think Thompson wrote about this to be aggrandizing I think he wrote about it to encourage others to do the same because of what it might teach them about empathy and the value of other people's lives.

Helping someone else helps them (obviously) but it can also be a teaching moment for you. He closes his blog post saying he was thankful to learn something. I think that's the message.

I wonder if some of the people criticizing Thompson are really projecting their own feelings of inadequacy because maybe they haven't done something similar to this in their lives. After all, if the "right" thing to do is keep it to yourself, then they can walk through life and maybe people will assume they acted this way at least once, even though they never have.

I don't think Thompson wrote about this to be aggrandizing I think he wrote about it to encourage others to do the same because of what it might teach them about empathy and the value of other people's lives.

Helping someone else helps them (obviously) but it can also be a teaching moment for you. He closes his blog post saying he was thankful to learn something. I think that's the message.
Bro its great to read and hear stories like this from the NFL because like everything else we dwell on the negatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is just not the way to think.

sarcasm_off.gif

Not the way I think, but I damn sure wouldn't be loading one up in my vehicle. Lots of crazies out there.

you just dont hear enough about the positive, and most amazing things some players actually do... all the world thrives on is the negative news and aspects. especially in sports.

Cedric Thompson mad props to you... thank you for being great people!!!

What an awesome story! :up: Wish we'd hear more of this kind of news in the sports world!

I think this is an awesome story. I really wish there were more stories about athletes that do things like this. There are far too many self centered athletes that give the rest bad names.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC Thompson had a rough upbringing and it's all the more credit to him that he's come out decent and thoughtful and open minded. Watch an interview with him. He exudes intelligence. Whatever happens in his career, he gives you the sense that he'll succeed in life once it's over.

As a player, he aced the metrics. Unfortunately, he doesn't really show much in the way of instincts. Too bad, because if you don't come into the league with that you don't tend to learn it. Personally I'll be rooting for him to beat out Don Jones for a job. You want guys like this in your locker room.

Agree with a lot of this. Watching him, I liked what I saw in the way of instincts. It just looked like he didn't know what he was doing at times, which would make sense, given that it was his first season as a Safety. Think he'll need a year to develop the nuances of the position, but I can see him replacing Delmas next season. As you mentioned, his physical tools are very good. One of the top 3 Safeties in the draft in that regard.

This is cool and all, but I've seen many people do things like this many times. It's not really a story imo. I've given homeless people or just people stuck and in need money, food, or supplies before. I would never however let someone I don't know in my car though. I may be willing to help people out, but I will not chance my life to do so.

The story isn't about giving food to the homeless. That's the least pertinent part of the story.

It's about not judging people and how our society tends to pass judgement on individuals before understanding their upbringing, circumstances, and their life. It's completely true and It's impressive a 22 year old out of college is commenting on it.

Back
Top Bottom