Dolphins rookie Ford with surprise contact | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie Ford with surprise contact

Ranked by 40 times....

Jakeem Grant: 5'6 169, 4.30 40
Francis Owusu: 6'3 221, 4.34 40
Malcom Lewis: 6'0 187, 4.44 40
Mitch Mathews: 6'5 222, 4.47 40
Leontee Carroo: 6'0 211, 4.50 40
Rashawn Scott: 6'1 199, 4.54 40
Damore'ea Stringfellow: 6'2 211, 4.57 40
Isiah Ford: 6'1 194, 4.61 40
Drew Morgan: 6'0 190, 4.74 40

Mitch Mathews and Francis Owusu are freaks. I will be rooting for them to improve. Could they bulk Mathews up and move him to TE?

I think Carroo will break away from the pack this year and make the team as the #4 WR. If Grant cannot outright win the punt and kick return duties, I doubt he makes it to 53.

Right now it's probably the same as last year for #4 & #5 with Carroo and Scott. Lots of bodies there so it will be an interesting preseason schedule.

For once Kelly is correct as are you IMO.

If Jakeem can't play slot, he really shouldn't be handed the job based off what he did last year.

Were too talented with too many options that can play both offense and return kicks.

I'd have Drake return kicks. He had 1 more KO return Td than jakeem did anyways.

PHINS UP!!!

You gotta give grant some credit for drakes return. He gassed them trying to chase him around

You gotta give grant some credit for drakes return. He gassed them trying to chase him around

I do.

I love Jakeem. Good dude, Unrivaled speed and quickness, stops on a dime, and good returner with potential to be a great one.

I hope just as much as anyone Grant can do something on offense and stop fumbling.

I would hate to see Grant doing special things with another team.

I think it's a great sign when we're having a discussion about whether a 5th or 6th receiver is going to make the team lol

PHINS UP!!

I still say letting Matthews and Miller were good moves. Ajayi doesn't shine if Miller is on the roster and Landry would get his numbers either way, but either Parker, Matthews or Stills would have had very minor role last season. That means either Matthews is playing a role he's happy with but you're not playing Parker, your former first round pick or Stills is seeing less attention down the field then he got last year. Matthews wanted to be a one or two option and he wasn't going to get that in Miami. Miller wanted to get 20 + carries per game and it seems Ajayi is more worthy of those carries than Miller. Miller or Matthews wouldn't have been happy in Miami.

No, they botched those deals they should've done the year before with Miller,Vernon and Matthews.

You wanna say it's on Gase, be my guest.

For once Kelly is correct as are you IMO.

If Jakeem can't play slot, he really shouldn't be handed the job based off what he did last year.

Were too talented with too many options that can play both offense and return kicks.

I'd have Drake return kicks. He had 1 more KO return Td than jakeem did anyways.

PHINS UP!!!

Grant had two td's taken away by penalty. I remember at least one was on Drake. Same guy who caused Landry to fumble on a punt return.

Ranked by 40 times....

Jakeem Grant: 5'6 169, 4.30 40
Francis Owusu: 6'3 221, 4.34 40
Malcom Lewis: 6'0 187, 4.44 40
Mitch Mathews: 6'5 222, 4.47 40
Leontee Carroo: 6'0 211, 4.50 40
Rashawn Scott: 6'1 199, 4.54 40
Damore'ea Stringfellow: 6'2 211, 4.57 40
Isiah Ford: 6'1 194, 4.61 40
Drew Morgan: 6'0 190, 4.74 40

Mitch Mathews and Francis Owusu are freaks. I will be rooting for them to improve. Could they bulk Mathews up and move him to TE?

I think Carroo will break away from the pack this year and make the team as the #4 WR. If Grant cannot outright win the punt and kick return duties, I doubt he makes it to 53.

Right now it's probably the same as last year for #4 & #5 with Carroo and Scott. Lots of bodies there so it will be an interesting preseason schedule.

Grant's a 4.2 guy. I'm nitpicking because you guys seem to want to casually diminish him and form a narrative about how the coaches feel about Grant.

He's viable anywhere on the field, lol.

We'll see, but I gotta think if he gets cut I'll turn into Louis CK's "Chinese" 9 11 denier...Mr. President! Give us back our one-teen!!!

No, they botched those deals they should've done the year before with Miller,Vernon and Matthews.

You wanna say it's on Gase, be my guest.

I'm not saying it's on Gase or anyone else, but I'm sure the Dolphins made Matthews and Miller offers prior to them becoming udfa, you can't make the players sign. If the players want more than what they're worth or want a bigger role than they should get you need to let them walk. Why would Matthews sign with Miami during the 2015 offseason after Miami had made had a young Jarvis, Landry, just signeg Kenny Stills and drafted Devante Parker in the first round. Playing behind those three players and coming off a 2014 season where he had 12 receptions was why he was very upset and was asking to be released. What makes you think a player that is asking to get released would have signed a new deal in the summer of 2015 instead of just waiting to hit free agency in 2016? I'm not lollowing the logic. Miller and Vernon might be a different story, but MIller has always said he wanted 20+ rush attempts and the coaching staff prior to Gase didn't see him as worthy of that, so I'm sure he would have have at least waited to explore his options. We can't just say the deals should have been done before without knowing the player's stance and willingness to re-sign a reasonable deal.

Grant had two td's taken away by penalty. I remember at least one was on Drake. Same guy who caused Landry to fumble on a punt return.

Oh I remember. (I complained like a little girl lol)

I love Jakeem. I hope he makes the team because that would mean he learned to play offense and hold onto the ball.

He has to be more than a KR because I think Drake's vision on kickoffs is way better than Jakeems.

Drake is a star returner 13 returns, 397 yds, 30.5 ypr, long 96 yds and a TD.

As is Grant-19 returns, 439 yds, 23.1, long 45, should have had a couple Tds.

There's nothing more I would love than Grant becoming a receiving threat and is still able to showcase his truly unique skillset on PRs and KRs.

Drake is already a solid contributor on offense. Drake has to get better as well. (Liked what I've seen so far)

I really hope Grant makes this team and shows how great he is in the open field.
(Don't want to play against that lol)

I bet Grant is getting great coaching from Jefferson and Gase. Hold onto the ball, don't be afraid to stay in the end zone, and become a real threat (reverses, screens, drag routes, go routes, shoot routes)

One thing we have to remember is a KR is not as valuable as they were due to the ball placement at the 35.

That is the biggest issue. Grant could probably get 3-4 returns a year if the dumb rule went back to the 30 yd line.

Figures as soon as we get a speed demon and a star returner lol

PHINS UP!!

Jakeem just adds such an element of fun.

He was the one guy that I wanted late in the draft and we actually got him.

I'm so defensive when it comes to Jakeem, lol.

Jakeem just adds such an element of fun.

He was the one guy that I wanted late in the draft and we actually got him.

I'm so defensive when it comes to Jakeem, lol.

Ya he really does.

No $hit? Great pick dude.

Especially being so late in the draft

You can look at it that way. I say look at the money we saved by not paying Miller, Vernon,
Matthews and Shelby and dispite not having those 4 players the team still won 10 games and made the playoff with cheaper and younger alternatives. I don't think Matthews or Miller were going to stay to be depth players. You can't make players sign a contract if they don't want to stay. Miller might have re-signed, but it would have been a mistake to commit to him for the role he wanted.

You absolutely have to look at the salary involved for each player and justify it. Furthermore, I think the players kept overall are an upgrade over the players who left. The debate is with Vernon (who wanted big time money). Another factor that is hard for fans to gauge is how players fit chemistry wise in the locker room. When I look at the bottom line, wins; I am agreement that letting all these guys walk was the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom