Dolphins rookie Malcolm Perry's eye-popping statistic from 2019 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie Malcolm Perry's eye-popping statistic from 2019

I am pulling for him to make the final 53 but I think he will likely end up on the practice squad at best. I just don’t see him beating out any of the top WR’s or RB’s for a spot on the roster. The Dolphins have several higher rated players who can be utilized in the return game.

I think having little or no pre season is going to negatively impact players like Perry because he is going to have less opportunities to impress the coaching staff before they are forced to make their cuts.

I am pulling for him to make the final 53 but I think he will likely end up on the practice squad at best. I just don’t see him beating out any of the top WR’s or RB’s for a spot on the roster. The Dolphins have several higher rated players who can be utilized in the return game.

I think having little or no pre season is going to negatively impact players like Perry because he is going to have less opportunities to impress the coaching staff before they are forced to make their cuts.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him kept over Ballage and either Laird or Gaskin.

Curious to what you see that makes you think he would help ST on the coverage end? I could maybe see some value as a returner, if he can even field punts, but he seems to small to help on the coverage end.

Depending on how good his concentration is on punt returns, Perry seems Taylor made to return punts.

The new CBA allows teams to add two players from the practice squad, which has increased from 10 to 12, on game day increasing the roster to 55 for games. The players go back on to practice squad the next day.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Perry on the practice squad and on the field during games for ST or specialty plays.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him kept over Ballage and either Laird or Gaskin.
What leads you to believe he would be an adequate pass blocker?

To my knowledge, he hasn't been asked to do it, and it is pretty important.

I know Laird and Gaskins wiil, likely, never be pro bowl talents, but I'm sure thier pass pro experience is far more.

It's either he makes the 55 or not. The second we PS him another team will poach.

It's either he makes the 55 or not. The second we PS him another team will poach.
Yeah, because teams line up to get their hands on a 7th round afterthought.

Seriously, would most Dolphin fans even know who this guy is, had he been drafted by another team?

I would love to see him become a star, but let's be realistic here.

Yeah, because teams line up to get their hands on a 7th round afterthought.

Seriously, would most Dolphin fans even know who this guy is, had he been drafted by another team?

I would love to see him become a star, but let's be realistic here.
I'll pin this one Mach. I knew this guy and really enjoyed watching him last year. I'm not saying he is going to be a star. What I am saying is he is definitely intriguing enough where I see at least one other team willing to throw him on thier 55 if we try to PS him.

I'll pin this one Mach. I knew this guy and really enjoyed watching him last year. I'm not saying he is going to be a star. What I am saying is he is definitely intriguing enough where I see at least one other team willing to throw him on thier 55 if we try to PS him.
It isn't out of the question that someone may have interest, but you said "the second" we PS him anotger team will grab him. That would indicate a high demand.

He is small, doesn't have a true position, and didn't play against a lot of top competition.

Did he do any return work in college?

Covid is changing the game for ALL kids outside the top rounds
let alone R7 and UDFAs. You can't prove crap if you don't have
a legit opportunity -- and the obliteration of OTAs + portions of
TC + Preseason etc. leaves a TON of unanswered questions...

Could be significant opportunities for really sharp front offices
to swindle a few...

Just sayin' the saw cuts both ways -- and we're still in position to
benefit from a "pool" of talent to exploit. That said I wouldn't worry
about potentially losing an R7 pick when there will probably be some
very interesting possibilities for us to explore from other teams...

>>> banking on the premise Grier + Reggie + Marvelous Marvin
have a rather prolific database!

BNF

Covid is changing the game for ALL kids outside the top rounds
let alone R7 and UDFAs. You can't prove crap if you don't have
a legit opportunity -- and the obliteration of OTAs + portions of
TC + Preseason etc. leaves a TON of unanswered questions...

Could be significant opportunities for really sharp front offices
to swindle a few...

Just sayin' the saw cuts both ways -- and we're still in position to
benefit from a "pool" of talent to exploit. That said I wouldn't worry
about potentially losing an R7 pick when there will probably be some
very interesting possibilities for us to explore from other teams...

>>> banking on the premise Grier + Reggie + Marvelous Marvin
have a rather prolific database!

BNF
I would agree. Despite the expanded roster, there will be a lot of guys on the street that never got a fair look.

What leads you to believe he would be an adequate pass blocker?

To my knowledge, he hasn't been asked to do it, and it is pretty important.

I know Laird and Gaskins wiil, likely, never be pro bowl talents, but I'm sure thier pass pro experience is far more.

I'm not sure he'll have to. I am of the opinion that the team will run a variety of 22 and 21 personnel formations, specifically on 1st and 2nd downs, and that Durham Smythe will be invaluable to Chan Gailey for this reason. I've been wrong before, but I hope that Gailey can implement Gesicki better than I think he will.

Right. Expanded from 53 to 55 right?

So 2 spots x 32 teams = 64 players.

Leaves a LOT uncovered still.
The practice squad has been increased from 10 to 12. Teams have the option of adding 2 players from the practice squad to the 53 man roster making it 55 on game days, but the players go back on the practice squad the next day decreasing the roster to 53 on non-game days.

That may create opportunities to grab players from other team's practice squads after seeing how they perform during regular season games.

Of course the flip side is also true. If Miami has Perry on the practice squad, he gets added to the game day roster, performs well, and placed back on the practice squad Monday, he might be off the team by Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom