Dolphins should have played hardball with Fangio-Eagles..... Thoughts? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins should have played hardball with Fangio-Eagles..... Thoughts?

Are you sure you aren't letting your Italian bias creep in?

Apparently some of his biggest critics among players were also the best players. That kind of goes counter to your supposition.

I look at it this way.

He didn't want to be here.

A lot of the players didn't like him.

It appears that he was incompatible with McD in terms of being "hungry" and putting in the long hours that are expected of coaches.

I wasn't high on the hire to begin with, as I don't like the philosophy/scheme. Best to just cut ties and move on.

Edit: And he bad mouthed Ozzy........
if he said anything bad about Ozzy then I'm glad he's gone.....lol

it is what it is and I'm ready to move on....but, keep in mind players in denver were happy Butch Barry was gone and yet he did a great job with the OL he had to work with here so the fact some players might not like a coach doesn’t make him a bad coach

pretty sure a lot of players didn’t like Belichick either

if he said anything bad about Ozzy then I'm glad he's gone.....lol

it is what it is and I'm ready to move on....but, keep in mind players in denver were happy Butch Barry was gone and yet he did a great job with the OL he had to work with here so the fact some players might not like a coach doesn’t make him a bad coach

pretty sure a lot of players didn’t like Belichick either
Oh, I don't think he was, necessarily, a bad coach. Just not a good fit here. I'm mean if it's true that he really didn't want to be here, players and other coaches pick up on that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I’m pissed because I feel this is another of the 100’s of examples that our front office is CLUELESS about putting this club in a position to succeed. Anyone with ears could tell during the fiasco to sign him last February, this wasn’t going to end well. It never should have happened, a good “head of football operations“ would have walked away from Fangio last February.

I feel it would be impossible for the Dolphins to have handled that situation ANY worse.

Tell me where the lie is, we signed a new DC during a period of time where we had a chance to win it all within the next 1-2 years. Our defense and personnel was a 4-3 man based defense. Fangio ran a 3-4 zone based which really needed some personnel changes to succeed. So, a complete change on defense during a win now phase of team development. The last straw you may ask? He obviously didnt even want to be here. He waited on the better offer while we continued to try and convince him to sign. As Tomlin famously said, we are looking for volunteer, not hostages, not sure Grier or Ross understand this.

So we look like idiots yet again, always insisting on overpaying for the big name fa or big name coaches but have never bothered to follow a consistent team building, drafting plan year after year. We always think we are one player or coach away from winning it all and constantly throw draft picks or money signing the shiny objects that never bring us close to a championship.

rant off

My view is if he didn’t want to be in Miami and McDaniel wanted to go in another direction at the DC position, there was no reason to play hardball with him.

It’s obvious by comment’s from some of the defensive players they weren’t happy with him and the coaching style of Fangio didn’t seem to fit in with the McDaniel style of coaching.

Losing Fangio is no big deal since he didn’t want to be here. The Dolphins and Fangio are both better off as far as I am concerned.

My view is if he didn’t want to be in Miami and McDaniel wanted to go in another direction at the DC position, there was no reason to play hardball with him.

It’s obvious by comment’s from some of the defensive players they weren’t happy with him and the coaching style of Fangio didn’t seem to fit in with the McDaniel style of coaching.

Losing Fangio is no big deal since he didn’t want to be here. The Dolphins and Fangio are both better off as far as I am concerned.
Agree.

What would we really gain by being pricks about it?

Other perspective hires would see that and likely say to themselves hmmm........

Back
Top Bottom