Dolphins sign RB Chase Edmonds | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign RB Chase Edmonds

I just made another post where I answer all those questions.
Keep in mind - play on the field trumps combine information - LOL
Exactly. Combine numbers really only establish an athletic baseline. I've always maintained a couple tenths difference in 40 times is almost meaningless in itself. Football speed is not the same thing as sprinting down a straight track. Of course there are those freaks that are both lightning fast sprinters and have elite football speed, but they are rare.

Tim Brown, for example, was one of the fastest players in the NFL at one time, but didn't become a great receiver until he developed football skills. Many very "fast" guys never make the grade, while some who were seen as slow by comparison kicked butt on the field.

Exactly. Combine numbers really only establish an athletic baseline. I've always maintained a couple tenths difference in 40 times is almost meaningless in itself. Football speed is not the same thing as sprinting down a straight track. Of course there are those freaks that are both lightning fast sprinters and have elite football speed, but they are rare.

Tim Brown, for example, was one of the fastest players in the NFL at one time, but didn't become a great receiver until he developed football skills. Many very "fast" guys never make the grade, while some who were seen as slow by comparison kicked butt on the field.
Ronnie Brown is always one of the best examples of 40 times. Really great 40 time for his size, really slow on the field when it actually came to football speed. He had assets as an RB, but speed wasn't ever one of them, and on top of that he hardly ever seemed like he was playing at full sprint - in contrast to Ricky, who could take a lane and hit at at full speed all the time.

He's been a pretty good running back but I really feel like we just came full circle with Kenyan Drake, who shared the backfied with him for a while.
He can catch the ball but being a pretty good running back shouldn't he average more than 6 carries and 27 yards rushing a game for his career??And at we are going to pay him???

This is a great signing. Biggest risks is injury concerns + pass blocking....but he is explosive and a great pass catcher. Edmonds should help our running game...IMO him or Fournette were the top RB's I wanted in free agency.

That’s not that that great of a deal. Barkley hasn’t been that special as of late
I agree. Barkley has not looked special the last couple of seasons. I also think he lacks the explosiveness needed. I don't see why people push for him here. Big name, I guess?

I agree. Barkley has not looked special the last couple of seasons. I also think he lacks the explosiveness needed. I don't see why people push for him here. Big name, I guess?
100% big name

Edmonds is probably here to share time with another back yet to be added.. or gaskin. Idk, I just doubt he is the only addition we make at rb

He can catch the ball but being a pretty good running back shouldn't he average more than 6 carries and 27 yards rushing a game for his career??And at we are going to pay him???
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Few if the guys the system made recognizable in San Fran were bell cows. They look more at ability than track record. Edmonds has ability.

Slightly slower James Cook with great blocking and some NFL experience - for more money. I like the player, the deal not so much, although I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, even if it doesn't work out (and I'll be ecstatic if it does). Not great, not terrible, is how I feel about this as of this moment.

I know a lot of people are not loving this sign maybe more due to the money but this is a great match for Tua in my opinion. I believe he can have 40-50 receptions in passing downs and hit for some big yards on the ground with draw plays. I like it mostly because I think it is a very good fit.

Back
Top Bottom