Dolphins struggle to score TD's and the importance | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins struggle to score TD's and the importance

We would have won just as many or MORE games without a FG kicker on the field...Believe it

There are a couple of issues with the RZ offense. Miami has no BIG receiver threat. All the receivers are about the same 5'11 - 6'0 (yes I know Hartline is listed as 6'2, but he plays like he is 4'11). Also Lazor refuses to put a FB in the game add an extra linemen and run an "I" in short yardage. Sometimes you gotta play smashmouth, and he refuses to do so.

I think Miami needs to get a big receiver in the draft and get Sims more involved in the RZ.
Sims is tall but he really doesn't have much of a vertical and I've not seen him high point a ball so far in his Dolphins career. Now Arthur Lynch, who's on IR, could fix this issue next year. He's 6'5" and will go up and get the pass over defenders.

Still need a big WR though.

We would have won just as many or MORE games without a FG kicker on the field...Believe it

No Sturgis won the Jet game when the offense failed to get a TD late in the game. He out-kicked Carpenter in 2nd Bills game, He was also 4 for 4 in Patriots win.

I'd say the kicker was a big part of 3 wins.

No Sturgis won the Jet game when the offense failed to get a TD late in the game. He out-kicked Carpenter in 2nd Bills game, He was also 4 for 4 in Patriots win.

I'd say the kicker was a big part of 3 wins.

Sturgis was only in those positions because they failed to reach pay dirt like successful teams do allowing the game to be so close. If they had gone for even 1 4th down and converted leading to a TD...we win those games without the drama. Not saying a FG kicker does not have his place but generally speaking it should be for kickoffs & extra points. When he gets busy kicking fg's...the other teams D is winning the battle which means we will lose the war.

The Dolphins lose most wars in case you have not noticed

Sims is tall but he really doesn't have much of a vertical and I've not seen him high point a ball so far in his Dolphins career. Now Arthur Lynch, who's on IR, could fix this issue next year. He's 6'5" and will go up and get the pass over defenders.

Still need a big WR though.

Yeah, I am all for Parker, White or Strong in round one.

Sturgis was only in those positions because they failed to reach pay dirt like successful teams do allowing the game to be so close. If they had gone for even 1 4th down and converted leading to a TD...we win those games without the drama. Not saying a FG kicker does not have his place but generally speaking it should be for kickoffs & extra points. When he gets busy kicking fg's...the other teams D is winning the battle which means we will lose the war.

The Dolphins lose most wars in case you have not noticed

Yep kicking FG's is usually NOT good. That was the whole message of the original post.
It can be such a big win for the other teams defense. Momentum shifter, especially if the other team had just scored a TD.

Yep kicking FG's is usually NOT good. That was the whole message of the original post.
It can be such a big win for the other teams defense. Momentum shifter, especially if the other team had just scored a TD.

Philbin Coached this season like the Dolphins had a lights out defense and he could win the game 3 - 0 at the end of the day but the truth was far from that...He needed 30 Pts to have a shot....there are not that many defenses who stop anybody from scoring td's with today's rules. The Seahawks can beat teams up when they get going but even they have looked weak at times.

Best wishes & Have a Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonights game furthers my argument on scoring TD's
Usually the 1st to score 3 in a game wins. When you score the 1st like Titans then fail to score TD's eventually the other team will score in your place. 3 straight for jags and game is over. Very similar to raven game. Titans driving down by 4 and they don't score, next possession for jags, TD

I failed to mention the Jaguars game. In that game we scored 3 TD's but 2 were scored by the defense.

So in 7 of the 14 games played this year the offense has only scored 1 offensive TD. Shameful.

Yet people feel that we need to keep Lazor as OC, or maybe even make him Head Coach. :crazy:

Yet people feel that we need to keep Lazor as OC, or maybe even make him Head Coach. :crazy:

Lazor was doing well until the offensive line injuries started. We had scored 23 TD (2.875 per game) while only allowing 17 (2.125 per game) after San Diego win.
Since then we have only scored 11 TD's (1.83 per game) and allowed 17 (2.83 per game) in the last 6 games.

For the year we have score 34 and allowed 34, Earlier in the year it looked like we would get to 40 TD's for the 1st time in a long while. Doesn't look like it is happening now unless we score 3 TD in each of the 2 remaining games.

When you have collapses like we've had, it's impossible for me to hang my hat on any coach on this team. While initially Lazor has looked impressive, the later half of the season has been poor to awful. Once again, the team takes on the personality of it's coach. Too damned stubborn. I would not care about cleaning house. But you can keep the offensive scheme.

Earlier in the season I remember Barnwell talking about how as our zone read plays increased so did our production. The zone read took a dramatic increase in the Oakland game and he said we used it a lot over the next 2 or 3 games as well. I know Detroit completely shut it down and laid a lick on Tannehill even some of the times he didn't keep the ball. I have no idea where Barnwell gets his stats on how often a run is a zone read but I would be curious to see if we're still running it as often after Detroit laid out a blueprint on stopping it. We knew it would be just a matter of time before teams stopped it, the question would be could we adapt and remain productive without it. I'm guessing the stats come from PFF but I'm not sure.

that goes both ways, how many not great passes did receivers catch? that stuff tends to even out.

Far less then should have been caught, most everyone that has watched the Dolphins games already know this. I know that you have been too busy with the Jets game to know this, as you don't watch much of the Dolphins games unless they are playing the Jets, so no, in this case, it doesn't go both ways.

I agree with the OP, our offense has done us in this season. Our defense should have never been in some of the situations they were in, and overall our defense has played good enough for us to win imo. That doesn't excuse our defense, but if I had to choose between one unit, the offense was the bane of the team.

The problem with our defense though is its about to get a lot worse. Some of our better payers are at the point where skills will be diminishing quickly, and we dont have a lot of depth. At least on offense we have players that are continuing to grow and we have younger players developing, but the long term issues of our defense worry me. Our defense is about to fall off quickly and I am inclined to invest more resources in the defense than the offense this offseason.

nah defense was suppose to carry this team this year...they dont carry ****

the only time this d was handed a lead on a final drive and came thru was against the jets and a qb who's nuts hadn't dropped...

Back
Top Bottom