Dolphins vs. Patriots listed as the NFL's 3rd best current rivalry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins vs. Patriots listed as the NFL's 3rd best current rivalry

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Year one did not disappoint. And, with the Patriots looking as vulnerable as ever, the Dolphins will have a chance to help rally with the rest of the AFC East to finally push the Patriots off the top spot in the rankings — and hopefully keep them down and out for quite a while.

But Miami is the team who has experienced some semblance of success against the Patriots in recent years. And because of that track record, along with Miami’s intriguing approach to overhauling their roster, NFL.com’s Adam Rank has listed the Dolphins and the Patriots as the league’s 3rd best rivalry entering the 2020 season.

more here:

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-listed-as-the-nfls-3rd-best-current-rivalry/

Hmm Miami has won 2 of the last 3 vs New England. Too bad Brady isn’t still there. Looks like he’ll finish never being swept by anyone in the AFC east.

I would put Cleveland and Pittsburgh at the top if we're talking about one year to the next year rivalries especially after last year's on-field brawl. Removed from that, those two already have a long-withstanding rivalry nonetheless.

I would put Cleveland and Pittsburgh at the top if we're talking about one year to the next year rivalries especially after last year's on-field brawl. Removed from that, those two already have a long-withstanding rivalry nonetheless.
It’s hard to sustain real rivalries outside of just being division rivals nowadays. One of the teams in any given rivalry usually fall apart within 3-5 years now maybe sooner.

It’s hard to sustain real rivalries outside of just being division rivals nowadays. One of the teams in any given rivalry usually fall apart within 3-5 years now maybe sooner.
They don't play often enough to develop one long term outside the division.

Premature to dismiss the Patriots for next season. Belichick is the elite NFL coach for a reason. His ability to correctly evaluate talent and identify value is unmatched. They have lost a lot of good players but my hunch is that he still has some rabbits up his sleeves. BTW - there are rumors out of New England that Jarrett Stidham looks very good.

more here:

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-listed-as-the-nfls-3rd-best-current-rivalry/

Hmm Miami has won 2 of the last 3 vs New England. Too bad Brady isn’t still there. Looks like he’ll finish never being swept by anyone in the AFC east.
While Miami might have won 2 of the last 3, the Patriots have basically dominated the Dolphins and the rest of the AFC since Belichick and Brady joined the Patriots. Even though neither team have been very good over the last few decades, I have always considered the Jets vs Dolphins a much bigger rivalry than the Dolphins vs Patriots and I still do.

While Miami might have won 2 of the last 3, the Patriots have basically dominated the Dolphins and the rest of the AFC since Belichick and Brady joined the Patriots. Even though neither team have been very good over the last few decades, I have always considered the Jets vs Dolphins a much bigger rivalry than the Dolphins vs Patriots and I still do.
Agree, I think most Phins fans would agree that is our true division rival. This is written as a perception based on a national observer level for peeps who aren't a fan of the team and don't know our storied history against those effin green bastards. Man, I hate em...

I think a rivalry implies some measure of success against one another. If it is one-sided, like the Yankees-Red sox "rivalry" of old, you are just the other team's bitch.

No we are not the 3rd best rivalry-

I will struggleand have been struggling for 20 years around COMPLETELY our Dolphin organization ****ed us fans over!

the patriots humiliated us year in and year out.

we were not even close - while they went to 10 championship games and 9 Superbowls and won 6 world championships with (often w players poached from our rosters) we have been hot garbage.

I am glad we have Flores - a real coach a leader a king - we still have not done jack and the patriots destroyed us - then slept with our wives!!!!

Agree, I think most Phins fans would agree that is our true division rival. This is written as a perception based on a national observer level for peeps who aren't a fan of the team and don't know our storied history against those effin green bastards. Man, I hate em...
I guess that National observer hasn’t been to a Dolphins VS Jets game to see how much animosity the fans of each team have for one another. Not to mention that the players on the Dolphins and Jets don’t care for one another much either.
‘With Flores and many of the players on the Dolphins being former Patriots, I would guess that they have a lot of respect for the Patriots. While I have no doubt they want to beat the Patriots, they just don’t have the hatred for the Patriots that the Dolphin fans and players have for the Jets. Especially with Gase now being the HC of the Jets.

I personally think the Dolphins/Jets rivalry more intense than the Patriots. Prior to Belichik, we owned the Patriots and it was not that much of a rivalry. I remember no good or how bad the Jets or Dolphins teams were, they always came to play each other with intensity. The fans in the stadium were at each other (I remember when a Jets fan in the box threw a cup at a Dolphins fan in the club section which the Fin fan climbed up and punched the Jet fan). If anything, we were just sick and tired of Brady/Patriots winning and started rooting anyone except the Pats.

I guess that National observer hasn’t been to a Dolphins VS Jets game to see how much animosity the fans of each team have for one another. Not to mention that the players on the Dolphins and Jets don’t care for one another much either.
‘With Flores and many of the players on the Dolphins being former Patriots, I would guess that they have a lot of respect for the Patriots. While I have no doubt they want to beat the Patriots, they just don’t have the hatred for the Patriots that the Dolphin fans and players have for the Jets. Especially with Gase now being the HC of the Jets.
I remember Phins/Jests in the OB days.

Drunken brawls were not only commonplace, but encouraged.

Blinding white hot hatred........

They don't play often enough to develop one long term outside the division.
It can happen if two teams constantly finish first ( which means they’ll play each other the following year) and play in the playoffs consistently. the last such rivalry was Indianapolis/New England and New England/Pittsburgh. Carolina and Seattle were getting like that but Carolina kind of fell apart.

I was never an Adam Gase fan (AKA QB whisperer) and was happy when the Jets picked up our trash!!

Back
Top Bottom