Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal

I think that's a good idea. I know Tua and camp won't but for the team, it's the best case.

I want to to succeed, I want him to be taken care of money wise, just not at 50 mil per year guaranteed.

If he holds out, I would be very disappointed. If I’m the GM, I would not continue the negotiations if he’s holding out. I’d shop him. Let’s see what other teams want to offer him.
He’s not going to hold out IMO

If he holds out, I would be very disappointed. If I’m the GM, I would not continue the negotiations if he’s holding out. I’d shop him. Let’s see what other teams want to offer him.
Sure. Let's start the season with Mike White.

Tua's not holding out.

Let Tua play out this season. If he stays healthy and productive, you can rest easier that 2023 was not a fluke season of him avoiding injuries.

That makes paying him in 2025 a better gamble. If he does miss significant time again in 2024? You move on from both Grier and Tua unless you can get a prove it deal signed for 2025.

I know bro, and I know you know:)

I just disagree with the final sentence. I get the feeling things are about to pop regarding these payscales, similar to what happened right after Sam Bradford got paid.

Teams are up against the salary cap every year and having one contract essentially cripple a team because it is so onerous.

They just cant continue like this (Unless of course they double the salary cap.)
I have been reading and hearing for decades that the salaries in professional sports can’t continue to escalate.
Yet they have continued to go higher year after year.

The Chiefs signed Mahomes to a huge contract a few years ago and yet that contract didn’t cripple the teams ability to win the past two SB.

It all comes down to the front office and the coaches being able to win with the players they have under the salary cap. Some teams are just better at doing that than other teams.

The salary cap will continue to rise and salaries will too. The only thing that would impact salaries is if the NFL becomes less popular in the future and TV and merchandise revenues go down along with fan attendance at games.

I don’t see that happening anytime soon. So it won’t surprise me if we don’t see a $100 million dollar a year salary
for the top QB’s in the next 10 years as the salary cap rises to $400 million over that time period.

The salary cap has gone up almost 100% in the past 10 year. Assuming it does the same thing over the next 10 years, the salary cap will easily reach well over $400 million by 2034.

Let Tua play out this season. If he stays healthy and productive, you can rest easier that 2023 was not a fluke season of him avoiding injuries.

That makes paying him in 2025 a better gamble. If he does miss significant time again in 2024? You move on from both Grier and Tua unless you can get a prove it deal signed for 2025.
No. You lock him up now.

Took us too long to find a QB after Marino.

The Dolphins can want all they wish, but there is no way an agent will go for that. The reality is Burrow has missed only one less game than Tua due to injury and Tua has actually played one more game than Burrow has in their respective careers.
im just saying this because it’s obviously negotiation at this point and lawyers are involved.

Tua is on the record saying he did consider retirement after his last concussion

I get it, just tossing out my opinion, but the communist argument that the owners make a ton of money so they need to share it just doesnt float with me.

I'm not even against paying these guys a ton of money.

I'm against them getting paid for sucking. And we have seen this time and time again.

Sign a high ticket FA and then the guy disappears.

If these guys arent willing to bet on themselves then why should the team?

Like I said earlier, Im not against giving them a very comfortable base salary to guard against disasterous injuries. But if they want the top echelon money, they need to continue producing.

EDIT: To give an example:

You could structure Tua with 5 years 40 mill base. 30 mill per year guaranteed. 10 mill in easy to reach bonuses such as games played, easy stat tiers. And then another 5-10 mill in more difficult plateaus such as Playoff wins, Top tier passing statistics/TDs, etc.

So in that case, you'd have him making between 40 and 60 mill per year depending on his health and performance.

Anyone that thinks that is unfair is crazy imo. In the event of a tragedy Tua is still set for life, if he balls out he is well worth the money.

^^^ THIS!! ^^^

He’s not going to hold out IMO
Agree. I don't think he'll hold out either. I certainly understand the Dolphins want concessions on the contract. Tua will get paid far more than he deserves compared to his standing in the League. That's the nature of the beast. I don't disagree with shopping him if he holds out. I just don't see that happening, though.

I’ve said in other threads,Tua is not playing 2024 without an extension. 100% his agent will advise to hold out. The $24M this season on 5th year option is not worth the risk to generational wealth of a second contract with $150+M guaranteed. Dolphins would absolutely screw him over in a heartbeat if got seriously injured.

Negotiations will be just like Burrow. It’ll be hard balled during OTAs, etc but once camp hits and Tua threatens to hold out, then pressure will be on the Fins. Grier may as well bend over and take it now.

I want to see what someone one willing to give up for him...

What win
And? So what is your excuse for Justin Herbert? You can spin it all you want, the fact is Tua is going to get paid well, without incentive based BS that is not in other QBs contracts that have been hurt just as much, or have not put up the wins Tua has.
What wins? I know it's a team game, but you're the one putting the "Wins" on Tua. What significant wins has he had?

Back
Top Bottom