Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal

As a Dolphins fan long before Tua and will be long after he retires, I hope Grier gets the best deal possible.

If I was Tua though, I wouldn't give it to him. Between Flores, Ross, Watson, and Brady, I'd have a fairly large 5 year $290MM ($160MM guaranteed) chip on my shoulder.
dont forget letting Dan Campbell walk.

McDaniel better work out or this regime has made some of the dumbest head coaching decision's in the league

If I’m the Dolphins, I definitely start by asking for per game roster bonuses, and when the agent balks, I counter with a new proposal that replaces roster bonuses with huge bonuses for playoff games started and playoff games won. I get that Miami’s gonna have to pay near top dollar for Tua, but one bargaining chip the Phins have is that just about every recent QB mega contract has been handed out to a player with at least some level of playoff success. Detroit waited until they got to the NFC title game before handing Goff his bag.

I love Tua, but contract negotiations are a nasty business and when his agent starts asking for the moon, I counter with “ZERO PLAYOFF WINS” each and every time.

If I’m Tua’s agent I respond with ZERO PLAYOFF WINS IN DECADES and that Tua is going to a team that has a GM that can put together a roster that can win playoff games. And if you don’t think Tua can win playoff games then don’t bother franchise tagging him either because why tag someone who you think can’t win playoff games. May as well trade him now to a team that believes in him or you will get nothing for him when he leaves.

If I’m Tua’s agent, he wouldn’t play this year if he doesn’t get a contract. Go FA next year and get the contract he deserves. Protect himself. Get the wealth he is due, from another franchise, if Miami balks.

Wilkins did it.

If I’m on Grier’s side, I’d make the deal. 55. Done.

Let’s play football.

If I’m Tua’s agent, he wouldn’t play this year if he doesn’t get a contract. Go FA next year and get the contract he deserves. Protect himself. Get the wealth he is due, from another franchise, if Miami balks.

Wilkins did it.

If I’m on Grier’s side, I’d make the deal. 55. Done.

Let’s play football.

He can’t just hold out all year and become a FA next year. And he’d be fined a huge amount.

I get it, just tossing out my opinion, but the communist argument that the owners make a ton of money so they need to share it just doesnt float with me.

I'm not even against paying these guys a ton of money.

I'm against them getting paid for sucking. And we have seen this time and time again.

Sign a high ticket FA and then the guy disappears.

If these guys arent willing to bet on themselves then why should the team?

Like I said earlier, Im not against giving them a very comfortable base salary to guard against disasterous injuries. But if they want the top echelon money, they need to continue producing.

EDIT: To give an example:

You could structure Tua with 5 years 40 mill base. 30 mill per year guaranteed. 10 mill in easy to reach bonuses such as games played, easy stat tiers. And then another 5-10 mill in more difficult plateaus such as Playoff wins, Top tier passing statistics/TDs, etc.

So in that case, you'd have him making between 40 and 60 mill per year depending on his health and performance.

Anyone that thinks that is unfair is crazy imo. In the event of a tragedy Tua is still set for life, if he balls out he is well worth the money.
Wow, agreed.. this is reasonable, I'd be on board with this. Ahh still not as attractive as him playing out this contract.

Justin Herbert won-loss record as a starting QB in the NFl is 30-32 with zero playoffs wins.

Tua won-loss record is 34-19 and no playoffs wins.

Herbert has a contract that pays him an average of $52 million a year.

Anyone that thinks Tua and his agent are going to accept a contract that pays him less than the overrated Justin Herbert are obviously living in Lala Land.

I get it, just tossing out my opinion, but the communist argument that the owners make a ton of money so they need to share it just doesnt float with me.

I'm not even against paying these guys a ton of money.

I'm against them getting paid for sucking. And we have seen this time and time again.

Sign a high ticket FA and then the guy disappears.

If these guys arent willing to bet on themselves then why should the team?

Like I said earlier, Im not against giving them a very comfortable base salary to guard against disasterous injuries. But if they want the top echelon money, they need to continue producing.

EDIT: To give an example:

You could structure Tua with 5 years 40 mill base. 30 mill per year guaranteed. 10 mill in easy to reach bonuses such as games played, easy stat tiers. And then another 5-10 mill in more difficult plateaus such as Playoff wins, Top tier passing statistics/TDs, etc.

So in that case, you'd have him making between 40 and 60 mill per year depending on his health and performance.

Anyone that thinks that is unfair is crazy imo. In the event of a tragedy Tua is still set for life, if he balls out he is well worth the money.

Excellent post and example

dont forget letting Dan Campbell walk.

McDaniel better work out or this regime has made some of the dumbest head coaching decision's in the league
McDaniel needs to figure it out . Hopefully his playcalling improves in his 3rd year. 🐻

I can work and I can really work if you know what I mean. No need to hold out.
Not a fan of players holding out. I'm an "honor the contract" guy.

On the other hand, the difference between most ppl and a professional athlete is that if the athlete suffers a serious injury it could possibly cost him tens of millions in future earnings. That injury could happen at any time, practice, games, OTAs or TC.

Not a fan of players holding out. I'm an "honor the contract" guy.

On the other hand, the difference between most ppl and a professional athlete is that if the athlete suffers a serious injury it could possibly cost him tens of millions in future earnings. That injury could happen at any time, practice, games, OTAs or TC.

I've said this before...

I'd suspend ANY player who refuses to participate at a contractually obligated function.

I understand the player's risk... I do, but if you fail to abide by the contract, then you are in breach and can no longer be paid.

Back
Top Bottom