Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal

Not a fan of players holding out. I'm an "honor the contract" guy.

On the other hand, the difference between most ppl and a professional athlete is that if the athlete suffers a serious injury it could possibly cost him tens of millions in future earnings. That injury could happen at any time, practice, games, OTAs or TC.
You and me both.

I don't like ppl renegotiating cause they had a good year last but won't return favor in kind when they had a bad one. I get the hurt anytime argument. But no difference to a firefighter who doesn't have 10 million in the Bank already.

Anyways if it comes to this point it's not a good look for him (Tua). X I wasn't surprised.

I can work and I can really work if you know what I mean. No need to hold out.

That doesn't do you (the player) any favors. Tua's best move to play as well as he can no matter what. If I'm him I'd try to ball out and raise my market value.

I've said this before...

I'd suspend ANY player who refuses to participate at a contractually obligated function.

I understand the player's risk... I do, but if you fail to abide by the contract, then you are in breach and can no longer be paid.

If I'm the player, especially a QB, I'd participate and play my best, but if the team wasn't negotiating in a way that I felt respected my value I'd never re-sign with them. I'd do everything I could to increase my market value and I'd tell the team I'm not interested in playing there after the contract expires. If the franchise tagged me, I'd tell the team (and the public, if necessary) again that I won't resign and that I won't resign with any team they try to trade me to unless it's the 1 or 2 that I specify.

If I'm the player, especially a QB, I'd participate and play my best, but if the team wasn't negotiating in a way that I felt respected my value I'd never re-sign with them. I'd do everything I could to increase my market value and I'd tell the team I'm not interested in playing there after the contract expires. If the franchise tagged me, I'd tell the team (and the public, if necessary) again that I won't resign and that I won't resign with any team they try to trade me to unless it's the 1 or 2 that I specify.
Hard bargaining is ethical.

Nothing wrong with that. I was involved in negotiating contracts between my unit and management many times over my career...

Sometimes feelings are hurt...

But we always followed the letter of the contract and prevailing law.

What win

What wins? I know it's a team game, but you're the one putting the "Wins" on Tua. What significant wins has he had?
That could be said about Herbert also who has more games played and less wins then Tua . You guys that want these hard to earn playoff wins and Superbowl wins like to blame the QB for not having them for some reason but refuse to look at the QB`s win loss record . Tua has more of THOSE WINS in less games played then both Burrow and Herbert playing on a **** offense for 2 of his season and there both 50 mill + QB`s . When the team can actually get to the Playoffs healthy like the Bengals did with Burrow and have a Defense that doesn`t gift teams games the other wins will come .

Hard bargaining is ethical.

Nothing wrong with that. I was involved in negotiating contracts between my unit and management many times over my career...

Sometimes feelings are hurt...

But we always followed the letter of the contract and prevailing law.

Ultimately, negotiating is about leverage. In the NFL, the team has no way to force the player to sign. Its leverage is the franchise tag, but that isn't such great leverage when it comes to QBs, especially ones in their mid-20s with several more contracts in their future. For 2024, the nonexclusive tag amount for a QB is about $38M. If the team tries to do it again the next year the price is at least $45.6M and if they do it a third (and last time) it is at least $65.7M. For the team, there is no cap flexibility with that so doing it 3 times is almost never feasible. But even if they did it, someone like Tua would still be hitting UFA under 30 at a time when the cap has undoubtedly gone much higher than it is now.

Yes, injuries can happen, but few QB injuries are truly career-ending. And I don't think many teams would ultimately want to keep a QB via multiple franchise tags if he has declared he doesn't want to be there. Especially if that declaration is made public.

I've said this before...

I'd suspend ANY player who refuses to participate at a contractually obligated function.

I understand the player's risk... I do, but if you fail to abide by the contract, then you are in breach and can no longer be paid.
I feel the same For voluntary which is not contractually obligated

I feel the same For voluntary which is not contractually obligated
Meh.

The rules agreed upon by the CBA really limit what teams are able to do in terms of contact and actual football coaching in general.

If a veteran player is training or lives out of area I don't think he has to be there every minute. Most of these guys are "driven" to be the best they can be and be successful. If it's just "working out" or basic drills, I don't see a big issue. If they aren't driven, then being here probably isn't going to change that.

Now, if they are in their first NFL years, or on the bubble, so to speak, not being there could be problematic when cuts come around.

Ultimately, negotiating is about leverage. In the NFL, the team has no way to force the player to sign. Its leverage is the franchise tag, but that isn't such great leverage when it comes to QBs, especially ones in their mid-20s with several more contracts in their future. For 2024, the nonexclusive tag amount for a QB is about $38M. If the team tries to do it again the next year the price is at least $45.6M and if they do it a third (and last time) it is at least $65.7M. For the team, there is no cap flexibility with that so doing it 3 times is almost never feasible. But even if they did it, someone like Tua would still be hitting UFA under 30 at a time when the cap has undoubtedly gone much higher than it is now.

Yes, injuries can happen, but few QB injuries are truly career-ending. And I don't think many teams would ultimately want to keep a QB via multiple franchise tags if he has declared he doesn't want to be there. Especially if that declaration is made public.
There has only been one instance that I know of... Kirk Cousins...

...and I believe this should be a cautionary tale for Tua. Kirk has become a high paid journeyman.

I do not believe he has leverage here... especially considering the fact that he's considered retiring at least once.

There has only been one instance that I know of... Kirk Cousins...

...and I believe this should be a cautionary tale for Tua. Kirk has become a high paid journeyman.

I do not believe he has leverage here... especially considering the fact that he's considered retiring at least once.

Cousins is no cautionary tale. He's a "business of football" living legend. If/when Cousins plays out this Falcons contract he will have made $411.5M in his career. That's just a little less ($419M) than Aaron Rodgers will have made in his longer career by the time Rodgers' contract is over in 2029. Tom Brady made $317.6M in his career. Cousins was in the same draft class as Russell Wilson, who will have made $308.5M through the end of his current contract, and Ryan Tannehill, whose career may be over after having made $190M in his career.

Tua has plenty of leverage. He will get to unrestricted free agency if he wants to before the age of 30 and maybe even before he is 28.

Back
Top Bottom