Dolphins will continue looking for roster versatility during minicamp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins will continue looking for roster versatility during minicamp

Eesti

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-20170611-story.html

Rookie defensive end Charles Harris, the first-round pick from Missouri, and veteran defensive end William Hayes, will be used inside and outside so the Dolphins can take looks at different pass-rushing packages.

At middle linebacker, the Dolphins will continue to rotate among Lawrence Timmons, Kiko Alonso and Mike Hull.

This is the 2nd time I have heard Hull mentioned and nothing about McMillan at MLB. Pass rush package of Wake, Suh Hayes and Harris?

If they kick a de inside in the sub over the centers face that will be a new wrinkle

I think I'd rather have a branch, Harris, suh, wake package than a harris, Hayes, suh and wake one although I guess the Hayes and branch sack return is pretty similar and Hayes did his not playing much in the nickel/ sub I'd assume with the rams.

All Harris needs to do out the gate to meet camp expectations is to win the plan a sub job opposite wake. Shouldn't be that hard.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-20170611-story.html

This is the 2nd time I have heard Hull mentioned and nothing about McMillan at MLB. Pass rush package of Wake, Suh Hayes and Harris?

I'm not surprised of Hull being mentioned. He's a high motor guy and a hard worker. McMillan has some work to do to knock him out of the rotation but athletic wise McMillan shouldn't have a problem breaking into the rotation once he picks up the defense.

It's a good problem to have honestly.

If they kick a de inside in the sub over the centers face that will be a new wrinkle

I think I'd rather have a branch, Harris, suh, wake package than a harris, Hayes, suh and wake one although I guess the Hayes and branch sack return is pretty similar and Hayes did his not playing much in the nickel/ sub I'd assume with the rams.

All Harris needs to do out the gate to meet camp expectations is to win the plan a sub job opposite wake. Shouldn't be that hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rams re-signed DE William Hayes to a three-year, $10.5 million contract. It's a nice keep for the Rams. Hayes had a career year in St. Louis in 2012 with seven sacks as a rotational lineman, and he likely could have gotten a chance to start elsewhere had he hit the open market. Hayes will be the No. 3 end with the Rams. Coach Jeff Fisher likes to kick him inside on passing downs.

He isn’t going to surprise his opponents with elite speed, but he has a solid all-around skill set that allows him to get to the quarterback in a multitude of ways. His 31 hurries were second only to Donald on the Rams this past season.

Rookie defensive end Charles Harris, the first-round pick from Missouri, and veteran defensive end William Hayes, will be used inside and outside so the Dolphins can take looks at different pass-rushing packages.

I believe in his interview after OTA's, Hayes said they had been using him inside some

Well that certainly makes sense with just Phillips who is inconsistent so far beside Suh and no one else. Hopefully those 2 rookie DTs can contribute I have read about every draft article I could find and for the most part those last 4 draft picks fell to us in this years draft. The DT from Oklahoma was maybe the worst of the lot and Forde the 7th rounder was ranked pretty high even the 1st round in one publication. Both rookie DT strength was pass rush etc. Waiting on those pads to see what we have.

I'm not surprised of Hull being mentioned. He's a high motor guy and a hard worker. McMillan has some work to do to knock him out of the rotation but athletic wise McMillan shouldn't have a problem breaking into the rotation once he picks up the defense.

It's a good problem to have honestly.

Honestly Hull did OK at MLB last year. Not great, but he could have easily started over Paysinger and Hewitt, except that Kiko wasn't really cross-trained enough to play Will at that time. One of the advantages of everyone knowing the system already is that they can spend more time cross-training guys like Kiko so that if they need to play someone like Hull, they can shift Kiko around and make that happen.

But, Hull isn't the real impetus. We now have 4 competent LB's: Kiko, Raekwon McMillan, Lawrence Timmons and former starter Koa Misi if he ever gets healthy (hopefully he can still play without further neck injury). Guys like Hull and Hewitt are going to be strictly bench players this year unless we lose 2 LB's to injuries.

Last year we had 3 LB spots and only 1 NFL caliber LB, this year we'll have 4 so we can field an NFL caliber LB corps even if we have 1 injury.

Last year we spent most of the year with a secondary in shambles. Reshad Jones played only a handful of games, and we had no SS replacement really. IAQ, who played admirably, was not a great player and couldn't hold it all together by himself, then he got injured too. Michael Thomas is a poor safety, and Bacarri Rambo proved to be very hot and cold with a lot more cold as the year progressed. So, going into the season we thought we had a good safety pair ... but both went down and for the playoffs we fielded a joke safety pair of scrubs. Similarly, our cornerbacks were devastated. We started the year with an injured and clueless Byron Maxwell, then eventually he healed up and figured things out, giving us mostly very good games. Then he got injured and disappeared again. All in all, he started and finished invisible and in the middle showed he could be a good CB. Xavien Howard had an impressive rookie season repeatedly marred by injuries. Tony Lippett was thrown into the deep end before he was ready, but really progressed because of it. This year all 3 look healthier and improved compared to last year. Then we added another quality prospect at boundary CB. This should make us a lot deeper with more quality and less learning the defense on the fly. And adding TJ McDonald and Nate Allen in place of IAQ should allow Michael Thomas to be a nickel CB, which I think is where he is much more effective.

So, Burke will have more faith in his secondary, and rightfully so. He will not need to use his LB corps to protect his DB's as much as Vance Joseph did. And, Burke should have actual NFL caliber LB's. This cross-training allows him to shuffle them around should we have injuries. Our second year in the scheme allows guys like Kiko, Misi, Hull and Hewitt to figure out multiple positions, just in case. I do think they're limiting what McMillan sees, because he's 20 years old and it's a big jump, but I think he can make the jump and learn on the field in games, because he's naturally talented, smart and hard working.

The fact we have lbs this year is going to be the difference. We bolstered our front line and secondary, all we really needed was legitimate talent at LB to be a solid defense.

Lb's will surely make us better but it won't make a huge difference unless we get more quality snaps from whatever DT lines up next to Suh. That means the #2 and #3 DT. If we can do that, we could make a huge jump because right now it's the weak link on the defense.

sounds like harris is positioning himself very well for the plan a sub gig which for my money would be meeting expectations provided it carries through camp

I don't see hayes as much of a dt rotation option...not enough lead in the pants

sounds like harris is positioning himself very well for the plan a sub gig which for my money would be meeting expectations provided it carries through camp

I don't see hayes as much of a dt rotation option...not enough lead in the pants

I think Hayes is pretty stout and also a great tackler. Like Suh, once he get's his mits on you it's over. He has some power. Jason Jones played that role for years (kicking inside). He was 6'5 276 lbs. He was pretty good at it a few years back but obviously declined. Hayes is 6'3 272. Only 4 lbs lighter but beefier on a shorter frame. He wins one on one match-ups and sheds tackle effectively.

Harris is getting rave reviews from non-padded practices. Omar said yesterday he's never seen a guy this disruptive who is constantly in the backfield. I can't wait to see him in game action. It's a little early but you want to hear these kind of reports and all the beat guys are noticing as well as other players and coaches. We may have gotten a steal at 23.

They are even talking about using Harris inside on passing downs so I'm sure Hayes could handle it. Even Branch did it last year. Not much but he did it.

i was referring to not much of an option as a dt outside of the sub...I could see hayes kicked inside in the sub...here to give us Jason jones role

I'm sure what harris is showing will translate to pads...not sure why edge rush skills that he possesses would disappear in a pad setting...although omar of everyone out there short of Beasley is probably the worst eye for talent of the bunch...that first step should translate in any setting

also if hes wrecking camp fodder that doesn't really mean much. if he's wrecking guys that play on sundays then we have the makings of a lethal edge tandem/pass rush in the sub

Back
Top Bottom