Don Shula on at 4:30 Today w/ Hank | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Shula on at 4:30 Today w/ Hank

Will do.

Meanwhile, Hank is really doing a great job leading into Shula. He is absolutely HAMMERING callers. He just blew a gasket on this on the first guy. Setting the mood, if you will.

Now he's laying into WQAM itself. I'm cracking up!!

Now he's talking about how they coach guy's NOT to tackle. This is freaking classic. I've missed Hank mocking and berating callers. :D

He's an a**hole. But as long as I'm not the one calling it, it's awesome!!

I loved the stuff about Barry Jackson being the biggest joke of a reporter around. "I think he got his press badge just for Halloween". :rofl:

Coach Shula's on.......

It's cool to hear him talk like he's still the coach. Uses "we" a lot. Really nice. He obviously still cares.

Talking about the '85 Bears MNF game at the OB, how the fans were there very early. Best MNF game ever as far as fan support. Right on top of you at the OB. Says it'll never be the same at Pro Player because it's a combination stadium.

Talking about how Duper was super raw when he got there. Was a track star. Played RB in college. Made an outstanding catch in practice that made Shula a believer. Short and stocky. Exploded off the LOS.

Clayton - didn't run great 40 times coming out. Measureables weren't anything to write home about. But some of our scouts liked him. Great athlete. Very smart. At that point in the draft (8th round), they were just ooking for something they liked.

Duper didn't like coming inside for the slant. Clayton loved going over the middle.

Talking about coaching nowdays......says the minute you lose, everybody wants you out. Says there should be more respect towards coaches and the job they do. They're talking about Dan Reeves and Fassel. Especially Reeves.

Asking about whether the coaches can do it all (personel and coaching). Hank mentioned how insiders and NFL people say that the job everyone covets is the Miami job because there's no GM and Wayne lets you do your thing. Nobody bothers you.

Shula says different strokes for different folks. Worked for Lombardi, worked for him (Shula). Says that it all depends on your focus. Shula said he was big on hiring good assistants, personel people and let them do their jobs.

Shula on Joe Horn type things......it's a team sport. I wouldn't want a coach doing anything like that....or a player. Says he loved Dan Patrick's interview last night. Doesn't agree with Horn, but loved the interview.

Not much agua.....they seem to be staying away from that topic.....he did say that you have to give some credit to McNabb and the Eagles offense.....zach said that they were shaken up a little by that initial score but, Shula said that was basically a non issue since we came right back to tie it up....

Today's game......competitive balance is prevelant. But great coaching still wins out. Mentioning Belichick and Parcells.

Interview over. Hank didn't ask anything about our Phins beyond last night's game. Shula is obviously still a huge fan of the Phins. He speaks about them with enthusiasm.

Yeah, about as soon as I asked the question, I realized Shula is the kind of guy that he'd never publicly say anything critical of the handling of the team. He and Hank probably had that understanding before going into the interview.

Thanks for the summary guys.

Originally posted by vans12
so what if shula comes back to coach us???

Not in a million years. I don't know where that rumor originated. But that can't even be 50 feet off the radar screen.

Originally posted by Muck
Coach Shula's on.......

Talking about the '85 Bears MNF game at the OB, how the fans were there very early. Best MNF game ever as far as fan support. Right on top of you at the OB. Says it'll never be the same at Pro Player because it's a combination stadium.

That has been posted by a few of us on here.
Pro Player as far as comfort is great.... however, as a pure football stadium and creating home field advantage... IT SUX!

I miss the OB for that one reason.
That '85' MNF Bears game was so loud in the closed end zone that I had to cover my ears at one point. I thought my eardrums were going to rip!

Damn dude. That's awesome how you can say that you were there for that game. I remember being 6 years old and watching that game with my mom and dad (rabid Dolfans). It was so exciting. Shula said he got to the OB and the stadium was already half full.

Shula alluded to what you are saying. He said "it'll never be the same until it becomes 'football only' again".

Back
Top Bottom