Don't go after Henson if..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't go after Henson if.....

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
we have to give up better than a 3rd rounder in 2005. First of all, he's been out of the game for 2 years so even if he's "that good", it's going to take a little while for him to get back in the swing of things. Secondly, he's going to want big time money which may cause us to sacrifice other positions. Thirdly, why give up so much for a guy that won't be able to help us out right away?

My plan: Sign a vet like Brunnell, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, beef up the O-Line and get some hungry young players that are fundamentally sound to push the complacent vets like Madison.

therefore we draft Rivers in round 1.

i think that is one of a few picks that will please the majority of finfans.

I totally disagree. Because we (hopefully) have Brunell, Henson will have that time to get back into the swing. Also b/c henson might need that time it would reassure Brunell he has more than a year. He said he would not go somewhere where they draft a QB in the first. If we have the chance to grab a BLUE CHIP (top 5 overall talent) QB with a 1st rounder next year (equivalent of a 2nd this year) we should do it. We should also try and get picks for Wally. This draft is so deep we need as many picks as possible. Could you imagine this scenario:
Henson for next years 1st
Brunell in FA
Get a 1st and 3rd for wally -bowens fills in
draft a WR (clayton) and O line (carey) in the first
FA get Bruce as #2 WR and a RT (Tait if reasonable or another if not)

Next year looks like
QB Brunell/Sage/Henson
RB Williams/Henry
TE McMike/Lee
WR Chambers/Bruce/Clayton
O Line Smith,Nails,Mckinney,Carey,Tait?

That would be an O to contend with. May be possible. Bruce will take less $$ to come home. Rookie Gs dont make that much. Henson will get a buck but not huge b/c he will give up some to control his fate when he signs with Houston. Brunell is a given. Clayton will get some bucks too but bucks equivalent to the 4th-5th wr taken. Restructure D contracts, cut the dead weight at QB.....Never know. Would be nice. If we pass on henson the best we could hope for is either a WR or O line in the first. That would leave another hole to fill VIA FA and therefore that much tougher.

:eek: ;)

why do you want brunell so bad.. the guy is not that much of an upgrade from feildler. and he is scared of compition...

Originally posted by Mindwarp
why do you want brunell so bad.. the guy is not that much of an upgrade from feildler. and he is scared of compition...

I totally agree. In all honesty i would rather have Jay this season and then pass the reigns onto Rivers next year.

In fact i, personally, would rather have Jay over brunell.

Originally posted by Mindwarp

He can throw the deep ball better. That is huge when attempting play action helping the line and running game. He also doesn't miss too many games. I know he was injured last year but not every year like Jay. He is more accurate on all levels. He may not be a huge upgrade but definitly better.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
I totally disagree. Because we (hopefully) have Brunell, Henson will have that time to get back into the swing. Also b/c henson might need that time it would reassure Brunell he has more than a year. He said he would not go somewhere where they draft a QB in the first. If we have the chance to grab a BLUE CHIP (top 5 overall talent) QB with a 1st rounder next year (equivalent of a 2nd this year) we should do it. We should also try and get picks for Wally. This draft is so deep we need as many picks as possible. Could you imagine this scenario:
Brunell in FA

Next year looks like
QB Brunell/Sage/Henson
RB Williams/Henry
TE McMike/Lee

That would be an O to contend with. May be possible. Bruce will take less $$ to come home. Rookie Gs dont make that much. Henson will get a buck but not huge b/c he will give up some to control his fate when he signs with Houston. Brunell is a given. Clayton will get some bucks too but bucks equivalent to the 4th-5th wr taken. Restructure D contracts, cut the dead weight at QB.....Never know. Would be nice. If we pass on henson the best we could hope for is either a WR or O line in the first. That would leave another hole to fill VIA FA and therefore that much tougher.

But if the reports are true that Henson is demanding a ton of money, you can probably forget Bruce and Tait. Heck, you should probably forget Tait anyways. Not a good run blocker yet still way too expensive.

or just forget him anyway...

...if he decided to go baseball, surely it was because he thought it was his best sport, the one he was most likely to succeed at. He's failed at it and now he'll be an NFL super-hero? At the position that's hardest to master and most high profile?

Maybe it was the promise of a bigger pay-day. And he's going to be any different now? With our cap situation. Here's the welcome mat.

I know nothing about his football career and prospects when he was drafted by San Diego but in terms of sheer human behaviour, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Drew Henson only started in 8 college games, sounds like a Cecil Collins but without the problems to me. I'm not so sure he will be that great, not having that much experience.

Originally posted by phinfan2003
we have to give up better than a 3rd rounder in 2005. First of all, he's been out of the game for 2 years so even if he's "that good", it's going to take a little while for him to get back in the swing of things. Secondly, he's going to want big time money which may cause us to sacrifice other positions. Thirdly, why give up so much for a guy that won't be able to help us out right away?

My plan: Sign a vet like Brunnell, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, beef up the O-Line and get some hungry young players that are fundamentally sound to push the complacent vets like Madison.

He CANT demand a ton of money....if he re-signs with Houston, he'll only be able to sign for around $300,000 because of rookie cap restrictions.

If he enters the draft, he'll have to take what he gets from his drafting team or sit out....burying any chance he had at an NFL career.

id be willing to bet the farm that if he agrees to a trade it will be under the terms that the team acquiring him will be forced to give him a contract extension at the first available time period, and they will have demands for that contract. otherwise hell go in the draft and get more money

Originally posted by dreadlockera
Brunell in FA

Next year looks like
QB Brunell/Sage/Henson
RB Williams/Henry
TE McMike/Lee

Excellent plan, Now, we just have to get you hired in the organization and we will be fine. It would be nice if Speilman makes those moves but I highly doubt it.

Re: or just forget him anyway...

Originally posted by GazPhin
...if he decided to go baseball, surely it was because he thought it was his best sport, the one he was most likely to succeed at. He's failed at it and now he'll be an NFL super-hero? At the position that's hardest to master and most high profile?

Maybe it was the promise of a bigger pay-day. And he's going to be any different now? With our cap situation. Here's the welcome mat.

I know nothing about his football career and prospects when he was drafted by San Diego but in terms of sheer human behaviour, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think he went into the baseball because he could play MANY more years, get paid the same if not more, and if he didn't he would have passed on a HUGE contract from the most prestigious team in baseball to roll the dice in the draft? I think it means he is smart. I would do that too. Heck I HATE GOLF, but if I could majically play any sport professionall at a high level it would be either golf or baseball. You can make big bucks, play in the sun and play for years longer than and NFL player.

Back
Top Bottom