Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mile High Fin said:
Maybe so, but I'd still consider paying for the newsletter/draft day chat, since (1) it's Dolphins/AFC East focused (where Ourlads is not), and (2) the draft day chat would allow personalized interactions/questions that Ourlads and others would not.....

Also, I might add that: I think it's no surprise that a majority of people won't purchase. But that doesn't mean it won't be a success.

Analogy: When a blockbuster movie can be a smash hit if it grosses $250M (which is only about 25M tickets, which is about 8% of the population).
In other words, if "only" 92% of the population declines to see your movie, you have a huge success.

CK/Boomer/KB will simply have to crunch the numbers to see if it's worthwhile.

Great analogy and great points man. Couldn't have said it better myself...and I think I tried to say something along those lines but failed to do it as well as you did ;)

We're crunching away...heh.

ckparrothead said:
Great analogy and great points man. Couldn't have said it better myself...and I think I tried to say something along those lines but failed to do it as well as you did ;)

We're crunching away...heh.

Thanks,
Another common analogy I remembered later was this:

If a pro baseball hitter fails "only" 70% of the time during his career, he'll probably be in the Hall of Fame (since his career batting avg would be .300).

Good luck to you guys....
Succeed or not, at least you are taking action to make your dream a reality.

Well based off of this market research, those guys are set to get $2510 gross dollars from the people who voted. Now you have to minus material costs, shipping, man hours, and then divide that net amount by 3 and you what? A couple dollars per person? Sounds worth it to me. Like I said before, if it's your passion and that's what you want to do and it's not about the money, then have at it, but you've made mention that you can't do it for free and this and that, so you're obviously spending more time on it then what it may bring in monetarily. Again, those numbers above are skewed, because when it comes down to paying for an actual product that you don't know the type of quality you're getting, ALOT more than 65% won't pay for it until someone else has told them about the product. It's all about word of mouth. Like someone else said, you can sign up for professional publications where they are actually involved in the processes of evaluating players in person, etc. instead of searching online for the info, I would have to jump on an ourlads type deal if I had to choose between the two. There is nothing in those posts that wouldn't be found elsewhere on what we call the WORLD WIDE WEB. I gotta side with the professionals, but if you can make enough coin to make it work, GO FOR IT!!!! It's great to be able to do something like this if that's what you want to do, regardless of money. Just realize that not everyone will be in the same boat as you.

Dmancari23 said:
Well based off of this market research, those guys are set to get $2510 gross dollars from the people who voted. Now you have to minus material costs, shipping, man hours, and then divide that net amount by 3 and you what? A couple dollars per person? Sounds worth it to me. Like I said before, if it's your passion and that's what you want to do and it's not about the money, then have at it, but you've made mention that you can't do it for free and this and that, so you're obviously spending more time on it then what it may bring in monetarily. Again, those numbers above are skewed, because when it comes down to paying for an actual product that you don't know the type of quality you're getting, ALOT more than 65% won't pay for it until someone else has told them about the product. It's all about word of mouth. Like someone else said, you can sign up for professional publications where they are actually involved in the processes of evaluating players in person, etc. instead of searching online for the info, I would have to jump on an ourlads type deal if I had to choose between the two. There is nothing in those posts that wouldn't be found elsewhere on what we call the WORLD WIDE WEB. I gotta side with the professionals, but if you can make enough coin to make it work, GO FOR IT!!!! It's great to be able to do something like this if that's what you want to do, regardless of money. Just realize that not everyone will be in the same boat as you.

Your numbers are off. :shakeno:
It's a statistical sample. The products won't be marketed to just the 370 members who voted. If that was the case, you're correct.

If statistically 30% of members are interested, then that's 30% out of potentially 10-20,000 Finheaven members.
The product would be marketed to ALL members, as well as other sources I'm sure...

30% of say 10,000 members is 3,000 buyers.
And let's say 2/3 of them (who voted "yes", but later declined) back out, that's still some 1,000 buyers...
And you have to start somewhere....
The following year, with good word-of-mouth, maybe that number doubles. And so on..... Rome was not built in a day... :shakeno:

Good luck guys......don't let the nay-sayers get you down.
I know you'll do your own objective analysis, and decide best answer.

Not to prop up the three of you guys, but Mel Kiper probably was ridiculed about his draft newsletter idea before he did it. Now he did have a very open market then but there is still plenty of market for sports info, In fact I have actually researched doing a draft and fantasy football combined newsletter with some people. If you do a good job and put out a good product the odds are you will do well in your venture. I have yet to be totally satisfied with any draft product or site I have used so there is room for quality products. On another note I have never used our lads so I will check into it.

dlockz said:
Not to prop up the three of you guys, but Mel Kiper probably was ridiculed about his draft newsletter idea before he did it. Now he did have a very open market then but there is still plenty of market for sports info, In fact I have actually researched doing a draft and fantasy football combined newsletter with some people. If you do a good job and put out a good product the odds are you will do well in your venture. I have yet to be totally satisfied with any draft product or site I have used so there is room for quality products. On another note I have never used our lads so I will check into it.

The market is highly competitive it is true...but honestly the business models in the market are a bit monkey-ish...speaking as one who analyzes business models for a living in order to determine stock value.

The market seems ridiculously under-penetrated, especially considering the percentages that are evident in the voting on this thread.

A colour guide would be amazing... any chance of shipping to the UK if it were to happen?

hell, i'll pay $5 if you guys would answer the stupid questions i'm too afraid to put on the board.

I don't want to pick the final one because I don't think you guys are nuts for wanting some form of compensation for the amount of time and effort you would put into something like this. Unfortunately, being a broke *** student such as myself (I live off of GI Bill alone), even $5 is a hard thing to pay. However, if I wasn't so broke, I would pony up that cash in an instant. Your (plural) draft coverage is awesome. Keep up the incredible work. You make the offseason so much more bearable.

You can count me in on any of 1 to 5, the three headed monster of boomer, ck and KB21 would be value for money.

finsnchips said:
A colour guide would be amazing... any chance of shipping to the UK if it were to happen?

Dude, you know I live in England......you'll get yours. ;)

Mile High Fin said:
Your numbers are off. :shakeno:
It's a statistical sample. The products won't be marketed to just the 370 members who voted. If that was the case, you're correct.

If statistically 30% of members are interested, then that's 30% out of potentially 10-20,000 Finheaven members.
The product would be marketed to ALL members, as well as other sources I'm sure...

30% of say 10,000 members is 3,000 buyers.
And let's say 2/3 of them (who voted "yes", but later declined) back out, that's still some 1,000 buyers...
And you have to start somewhere....
The following year, with good word-of-mouth, maybe that number doubles. And so on..... Rome was not built in a day... :shakeno:

Good luck guys......don't let the nay-sayers get you down.
I know you'll do your own objective analysis, and decide best answer.

Just to throw it out there, I don't think the 30% can be considered valid under these circumstances. I bet more than a few who voted on the poll can be counted on to not actually participate in this. Just throwing our some thought, not trying to be negative.

Gonzo said:
I don't want to pick the final one because I don't think you guys are nuts for wanting some form of compensation for the amount of time and effort you would put into something like this. Unfortunately, being a broke *** student such as myself (I live off of GI Bill alone), even $5 is a hard thing to pay. However, if I wasn't so broke, I would pony up that cash in an instant. Your (plural) draft coverage is awesome. Keep up the incredible work. You make the offseason so much more bearable.

It's tongue-in-cheek man. No worries. We don't really think 66% of you think we're nuts, just that 66% of you aren't willing to buy stuff from us for whatever reason (with not enough $$$ being by far the most popular). Not a problem.

Ck, KB & Boomer....I have been on this site for about 3 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed the many posts and information found here. In the past three years I have seen this site grow tremendously and although I have only met one poster from here by chance at a game, I kind of feel like most of you are a part of my family, in a Dolphins sort of way. To a degree this feeling has started to fade somewhat the past year (or more) as the site has grown pretty large and there seems to be a million posts and reposts and more of the usual repetitive non-educated arguing over and over. I still remember all the "old regulars" and posters such as you three and many others (finfans as well as from other teams....I remember arguing with circling_wagons (bills) years ago, lol). Where am I going with this? I work and have a family as many on here do and I still read here daily and post a bit here. I follow the drafts, read all the sites etc. but if you all could do a more in-depth analysis that I could read without having to hunt through a 100 posts to find 5 that either aren't repetitive or that actually contain pertinent information....I'm all for it. Maybe it's about time I chip in for the VIP sections....or is it just more of the same but in a different area?

edit: on another note....as my profile indicates I do network security for a living so if you all ever need any help with server / networking / security stuff let me know (I'll leave the programming to the other folks, lol).

Back
Top Bottom