Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you guys could put out a better version of TSN's Draft Guide which is usually not very accurate as they probably write the profiles after the combine which makes them slightly out of date. So I would be interested in the $20 color booklet with the possibility of subscribing to the Phin Fan newsletter.

I know a few days ago Boomer really set the record straight on why Will Poole was available in the 4th round and I was really impressed to say the least. I doubt some ESPN analyst could have broke it down so quickly and it was in a very readable manner. No B.S. as the thread says.

jbond said:
Ck, KB & Boomer....I have been on this site for about 3 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed the many posts and information found here. In the past three years I have seen this site grow tremendously and although I have only met one poster from here by chance at a game, I kind of feel like most of you are a part of my family, in a Dolphins sort of way. To a degree this feeling has started to fade somewhat the past year (or more) as the site has grown pretty large and there seems to be a million posts and reposts and more of the usual repetitive non-educated arguing over and over. I still remember all the "old regulars" and posters such as you three and many others (finfans as well as from other teams....I remember arguing with circling_wagons (bills) years ago, lol). Where am I going with this? I work and have a family as many on here do and I still read here daily and post a bit here. I follow the drafts, read all the sites etc. but if you all could do a more in-depth analysis that I could read without having to hunt through a 100 posts to find 5 that either aren't repetitive or that actually contain pertinent information....I'm all for it. Maybe it's about time I chip in for the VIP sections....or is it just more of the same but in a different area?

edit: on another note....as my profile indicates I do network security for a living so if you all ever need any help with server / networking / security stuff let me know (I'll leave the programming to the other folks, lol).

If you go VIP.....it's like 2 years ago when almost every post was meaningful. No brainer man....you MUST do it. The zoo is for fun...but the VIP is where the real discussions occur.:evil:

Dbergan said:
If you go VIP.....it's like 2 years ago when almost every post was meaningful. No brainer man....you MUST do it. The zoo is for fun...but the VIP is where the real discussions occur.:evil:

No offense and I would be very willing to donate for server issues and maintaining site but just because someone donates does not make his post more meaningful. I am sure that there are many posts as I see on the pauper's board by many VIP people that are no more meaningful than us pauper's.

dlockz said:
No offense and I would be very willing to donate for server issues and maintaining site but just because someone donates does not make his post more meaningful. I am sure that there are many posts as I see on the pauper's board by many VIP people that are no more meaningful than us pauper's.

Point taken.:D

I guess what I was trying to convey is that in the VIP section you don't have to scroll through tons of comments to find one or two posts which perk your attention. I would say it's well worth the cost if you want great info...and you want it as quick as possible. But to be honest, this site has grown so much...it's just all good!!!

The VIP forum has better quality because of the fewer number of posters and thread-creators, as well as the money being paid to enter. You would be surprised how much the money issue will "weed out" frivolous posters who just come onto the site once in a blue moon to post a thread and ask "Who will the Dolphins take in the 1st round?" even though the topic has been discussed to death.

Money is an effective screening tool...it is the basis behind our $5 admission draft day chat...which apparently 42 people so far seem interested in.

No offense, but 6 is my choice. CK has some very good posts and some very mediocre ones. But, verbosity about sports in general, or the Dolphins in particular, and a B.A. (leaving aside the self promotion, for the moment) are not worth the money.

ckparrothead said:
There is indeed. But I guarantee you won't find full ACCURATE measurements, analysis, or ability to predict which players the Miami Dolphins are looking at in the draft.

Are you saying that some of you guys work in the Dolphins front office??

DeDolfan said:
Are you saying that some of you guys work in the Dolphins front office??

No merely that most of the "free" analysis you'll find out there tend to post inaccurate numbers, and most of the media out there that try and predict what Saban will do next are not nearly as proven at doing so as myself, Boomer, and KB21.

Local media are basically journalists first and then football analysts. Most of them don't really even know their X's and O's when it comes to football. Saban's iron curtain on information leakage has taken away the media's ability to continue being gossip hounds first, and football analysts second. God forbid they actually have to use some football sense to figure out what Saban is likely to do, or to analyze what Saban just did, instead of having inside scoop handed to you by some shady employee who shouldn't really be saying anything.

That's where we come in. We're football people first, journalists second. Do the journalists still have a network of sources at their disposal that we can't possibly claim? Sure. But that network has been severely diminished in efficacy since Saban joined...which is why they all hate him. He's sort of leveled the playing field to where guys like us can and do successfully "scoop" the media types just by using our noggins to figure out Saban's next move.

ckparrothead said:
No merely that most of the "free" analysis you'll find out there tend to post inaccurate numbers, and most of the media out there that try and predict what Saban will do next are not nearly as proven at doing so as myself, Boomer, and KB21.

Local media are basically journalists first and then football analysts. Most of them don't really even know their X's and O's when it comes to football. Saban's iron curtain on information leakage has taken away the media's ability to continue being gossip hounds first, and football analysts second. God forbid they actually have to use some football sense to figure out what Saban is likely to do, or to analyze what Saban just did, instead of having inside scoop handed to you by some shady employee who shouldn't really be saying anything.

That's where we come in. We're football people first, journalists second. Do the journalists still have a network of sources at their disposal that we can't possibly claim? Sure. But that network has been severely diminished in efficacy since Saban joined...which is why they all hate him. He's sort of leveled the playing field to where guys like us can and do successfully "scoop" the media types just by using our noggins to figure out Saban's next move.

Actually you would be football people second since you and probably the others have real jobs. I don't see how them being journalists would have any bad effect on them being football analysts. It all depends on thier chosen area of expertise. The journalist aspect basically just accents them covering football. It basically comes down to what thier knowledge and sources are.

ckparrothead said:

I understand all that and that's why I don't put alot of faith into what the media says in these things. I guess what I am questioning is that altho we are football people first, the only ones that know really how Saban and meuller think are the ones that are close to them. otherwise, we can only speculate on their next move by the "pattern" they develope, of sorts anyway.IMO, there are way too may variables in the draft, ie finishing FA 1st, depends on how other teams draft before you, etc., etc. and to claim real accuracy at least suggests to me of some kind if insider info. I am very close to someone who used to work in the Fins F.O. and was often told alot of different things, for example that the Fins had Culpepper as the highest rated QB on their chart in 99, but I would never repeat anything i was told since it would jeopordize his job. Granted, you guys can prediction Saban's next moves with some uncanny accuracy byt studying his previous moves. but one thing i really hate is someone says, "I just heard on ESPN, etc" and 99% of the time you can look around and find another source contrary to what ESPN justa said!! ;)

DeDolfan said:
I understand all that and that's why I don't put alot of faith into what the media says in these things. I guess what I am questioning is that altho we are football people first, the only ones that know really how Saban and meuller think are the ones that are close to them. otherwise, we can only speculate on their next move by the "pattern" they develope, of sorts anyway. I am very close to someone who used to work in the Fins F.O. and was often told alot of different things, for example that the Fins had Culpepper as the highest rated QB on their chart in 99, but I would never repeat anything i was told since it would jeopordize his job. Granted, you guys can prediction Saban's next moves with some uncanny accuracy byt studying his previous moves. but one thing i really hate is someone says, "I just heard on ESPN, etc" and 99% of the time you can look around and find another source contrary to what ESPN justa said!! ;)

We can all speculate, and thats about all it will ever be. If you want to call it educated speculation....fine. I personally don't need others to speculate for me, I've been right as much as anybody else on average, but I'm sure there are others who might need that.

BlueFin said:
We can all speculate, and thats about all it will ever be. If you want to call it educated speculation....fine. I personally don't need others to speculate for me, I've been right as much as anybody else on average, but I'm sure there are others who might need that.

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

DeDolfan said:
I'm not quite sure what your point is.

I was adding to your point about how unless your in the inner circle of Sabans braintrust, it is all speculation, I didn't think my post was that veiled?

BlueFin said:

I completely agree with you BlueFin. Draft analysis is at best a guessing game. Anyone who follows the Dolphins knows the needs of the team and we can all "predict" who the Dolphins will draft. But so much of the pre-draft talk is smoke screens; no one outside of Saban's inner circle really knows whom the team's specific targets are.

Crowder52 said:
I completely agree with you BlueFin. Draft analysis is at best a guessing game. Anyone who follows the Dolphins knows the needs of the team and we can all "predict" who the Dolphins will draft. But so much of the pre-draft talk is smoke screens; no one outside of Saban's inner circle really knows whom the team's specific targets are.

Well then I invite you to put your money where you mouth is and create more informative, detailed, and accurate draft predictions.

Personally I find the idea absurd that the draft is a guessing game. It reminds me of the people that say the stock market is a guessing game just because they're too lazy to do informative research.

I also find it absurd that some folks think that fans that do not spend time researching this topic can be consistently as accurate as those that do. That in turn reminds me of the year 2000 day traders that went ahead piling up uninformed day trades to stockpile money because by golly ya can't go wrong with tech! Until 2001...when they lost their life savings.

What makes a "professional" anyway? Here I thought what makes a professional is a guy who spends a lot of time plying away at his trade and makes money off it. Guess what, all three of us spend more manhours in a single day plying away at this trade than most "informed" fans do in a week or more.

If you don't think draft analysis is worth your money that is a personal choice. But don't try and pretend that 67% of the people voting are not willing to give up their money because they can predict and analyze the draft just as easily as we can. Is that arrogance? To me, no. No more arrogant than a fireman scoffing at the idea that a group of "informed" citizens could put out fires just as well as they could. No more arrogant than a trained soldier listening to someone say that a group of paintball players could whip their butt on the battlefield.

Someone, somwhere, is laughing. Wait, I think that might be me...

Back
Top Bottom