Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you boys concerned with our QB depth? I would hope it doesnt take DC long to get up to speed on the "Miami Offense", but if he isnt ready for preseason or opening day, Is Cleo ready? And since Gus is joining Linehan in St. Louis, who do you think we get that can ramp up in time to hold down the fort (and be willing to) for 3-4 games at the most until DC comes back if OCT is worst case?

Also, backup RB thougths if Ricky isnt around?

No. I think if Gus goes to St Louis, that we'll bring in a vet back-up - Tommy Maddox has been floated as a possibility and then look at drafting a youngster to groom such as Jacobs, Martin, even as high as Charlie Whitehurst.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Are you boys concerned with our QB depth? I would hope it doesnt take DC long to get up to speed on the "Miami Offense", but if he isnt ready for preseason or opening day, Is Cleo ready? And since Gus is joining Linehan in St. Louis, who do you think we get that can ramp up in time to hold down the fort (and be willing to) for 3-4 games at the most until DC comes back if OCT is worst case?

Also, backup RB thougths if Ricky isnt around?

First off....YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY! We got stickied!!

Heh.

Ok onto your question. I expect we'll roster 4 QBs this year. We're going to sign a veteran to compete with Cleo Lemon to be the starter in mini-camp and training camp until Daunte is ready, and right now that appears to be Tommy Maddox like it or not. Patrick Ramsey is off to the Jets.

After that I truly believe we'll be drafting a guy. Just do not know where yet. Could be Croyle, Whitehurts, or Jacobs in the 3rd or 4th, could be Hackney, Ingle Martin, Kellen Clemens, or the like in the 7th. I would also toss Reggie McNeal in as a 3rd round possibility but I've not heard anything to indicate the Phins are after him.

Boomer said:
No. I think if Gus goes to St Louis, that we'll bring in a vet back-up - Tommy Maddox has been floated as a possibility and then look at drafting a youngster to groom such as Jacobs, Martin, even as high as Charlie Whitehurst.

Is there any thing "special" or "unique" about the "Miami Offense" from Linehan vs. what Mularky ran with Maddox in Pitt? I understand the veteran QB concept and all, and agree, Maddox seems to be the type to accept his backup position role, does he best fit our system and be able to pick up it quickly?

I am not making it out to be brain surgery, just wondering if he has to "unlearn" some things or "learn a new" other things.

I think essentially it'll be Linehans system, but tweaked a little to incorporate some of Mike's knowledge, but playing to the strengths of Daunte under the auspices of a Scott Linehan system. For Maddox in that system, the differences will be going down the field more, as he's worked in more of a shorter range offense both in Denver and in Pittsburgh.

Nick was talking about what they would like to do with the quarterback position during the press conference the other day. The Dolphins had some discussions with the Falcons over the availability of Matt Schaub. They look at that situation, and they see one that they would like to be in within two to three years.

The Dolphins have their quarterback of the present and future in Daunte Culpepper. That's not going to stop them from taking a young guy they can bring into the system, develop, and eventually trade off and get great return value in the process. There are always quarterback needy teams in the NFL, and the Dolphins want to put htemselves in a position where they can get in on that action.

To follow Keith's thought process there, I really think they see that in a few guys, the main ones being Omar Jacobs, who has tremendous upside, but who needs stripping down and recoaching over a couple of seasons to fix those awful mechanics; and Charlie Whitehurst, who has all the imaginable tools, but who has never quite put it together. But who could develop into a Schaub like figure down the line where we invest a 3rd or a 4th depending on who we're talking about and then cash that in at the Bank for a 1st or a 2nd. It just makes such great sense and is the sort of thing that clearly Nick and Randy are keen on.

Yeah Nick was definitely talking about Matt Schaub in that conference. He was basically saying you draft a guy and he develops for a while, he gets the chance to get noticed and voila you can sell him off at a higher price.

And backup RB? Is that as great a need if no Ricky. I know we have Kay Jay and Minor...can they carry the load with Ronnie?

You can tell Nick has done his homework on this as well. Green Bay employed this policy under Ron Wolf. They traded Mark Brunell back in 1995 for a 3rd and a 5th round pick. They then traded Aaron Brooks, who they got in the 4th round, for a 3rd round pick. They traded Matt Hasselbeck, a 6th round pick, for a 1st round pick. Brunell was drafted in the 5th round.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
And backup RB? Is that as great a need if no Ricky. I know we have Kay Jay and Minor...can they carry the load with Ronnie?

If Ricky were out for the season, Ronnie can carry the load by himself. However, it would be nice to get a guy who can give him a breather. I don't know if that player will come through the draft or if he will be a veteran addition. Right now, I think they will play the Ricky thing out and see what happens.

If they did choose to go with a runner in the draft, then Andre Hall from South Florida is a possible target.

Dolphins_SR66 said:

My feeling is they may try and handle that hole in FA if Ricky loses his appeal. They were interested in Michael Bennett for exactly that reason but he just signed with New Orleans I believe.

But with no 2nd rounder, I think it would be somewhat risky to take a QB in round 3. We have greater needs IMO. I suppose it all depends on what else gets done in FA- if we sign another DB, a LB, a DL etc. As well, keep in mind, both our 2nd and 6th round picks were "spent" on QBs.

KB21 said:
You can tell Nick has done his homework on this as well. Green Bay employed this policy under Ron Wolf. They traded Mark Brunell back in 1995 for a 3rd and a 5th round pick. They then traded Aaron Brooks, who they got in the 4th round, for a 3rd round pick. They traded Matt Hasselbeck, a 6th round pick, for a 1st round pick. Brunell was drafted in the 5th round.

True, and what I always found to be funny was that they traded to get Favre and didnt draft him themselves! :wink:

Hey guys do you see the Dolphins taking Chad Jackson at 16?

Back
Top Bottom