Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for all three internet services and will support whatever effort they decide to make. I have been reading these guys for six years now and really they are responsible for much of the enjoyment I get from being involved in the draft. From the old Herald board and Curt's place to here over the years they have answered my questions and helped me along. So, I'm in.

everardteach said:
I would like to see the Draft Guide Bound. It would be nice to hear your opinions on Miami's preferences with prospects.

Question: is their a general assumption that Jay Cutler will be picked in the top ten even with the recent QB movement? Do you foresee any possiblities where he falls on draft day? What round have you guys graded Omar Jacobs? What about Brodie Croyle?

I can't speak for Boomer and CK on this, but I can give you my opinion on the three quarterbacks you mentioned.

Jay Cutler is my #1 rated quarterback, period. One thing that has prepared him better for the league than either Matt Leinart or Vince Young is the fact that Jay has been hit, and he has been hit a lot. Yet, he still made plays and single handedly made Vanderbilt a respectable team this past season with a near victory over Florida and a victory over Tennessee. Jay Cutler has the arm strength that I look for in a quarterback. His arm is very powerful. He puts a lot of velocity on his passes, and he can make all the stick throws. He's also very nimble on his feet within the pocket, and when he has to, he can gain positive yards with his legs. Many don't like his gunslinger mentality, but I think it is a plus. Yeah, he's going to commit some turnovers in the NFL because he has a lot of confidence in his arm, but he's also going to make a lot of big plays. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be the first quarterback taken in this draft, but some people are going to look at the fact that he played a Vanderbilt and downgrade him simply because of that.

I really have serious questions about Matt Leinart's arm strength. I think he has a great head on his shoulders, shows excellent field vision, and is a master of the touch pass. However, based on what I've seen, the touch pass is the majority of his passes. In the NFL, you can't float the 10 yard out to the receiver with an NFL caliber cornerback in coverage. I have not consistently seen the ability to load up and drill the stick throws from Matt Leinart. I think he will do fine on the downfield throws, because he is accurate and has great touch. I seriously question his ability to throw the deep out patterns though. Also, Matt played in a pro style offense, so mentally and technically he is prepared for the NFL. However, he's not going to have the advantage he had at USC when it comes to having superior talent around him relative to the team he is playing.

I do not like Vince Young at all. I see a guy that is very sloppy in his technique, has no readability skills in the pocket, and simply looks to take off and run whenever he gets the chance. It's going to take a lot of work and patience for this guy to ever be able to play quarterback at the NFL level. Mentally, he simply doesn't have it. Physically, he could be a good quarterback if he would allow a coach to change his mechanics. I think Vince Young is nothing the the product of intense media hype at this point, because I have seen very little substance when I evaluate him as a quarterback. He's a great athlete, but he is a below average quarterback prospect. Due to his athleticism, I'd draft him in the first round as a project wide receiver, but I wouldn't touch this guy till the second day of the draft as a quarterback. This guy is going to get a head coach fired in the NFL.

Omar Jacobs is a guy that I do like though. Omar has horrible mechanics, but they work for him. He's got a powerful and accurate arm, moves around well in the pocket, and most importantly, is a passer. In fact, Omar is a player that avoids running with the ball like it was the plague. He can do it if he absolutely has to, but he'd much rather throw a 15 yard pass than make a 10 yard run. I think that is the type of mentality you have to have to play quarterback in the NFL. As far as his mechanics go, he kind of pushes the ball, but he showed at the combine that it works for him. He threw the ball down the field with a lot of accuracy in the passing drills. I don't like the offense he was in at Bowling Green though, and I do not feel that offense has prepared him for the NFL. Omar is a project that could pay off big down the road. I think he is a third round pick that will need a couple of years of coaching, but he will be a good one down the road. I thin he's a guy that many will look back upon in three years and say "Wow, that guy was a steal."

I like Brodie Croyle as far as his passing skills go. As a pure passer, I'd rate him as the third best prospect in this draft. I can't get over his lack of size though. He's a shade under 6'3" and about 205 lbs, but he is extremely thin in his build. I'm not sure he will be able to gain much more weight at the NFL level, and given his injury history, his lack of size is a definite red flag. However, Brodie has a very strong arm and a very good head on his shoulders. He's a leader, pure and simple, and he has the type of attitude that you never count out. If there is a player that can overcome size limitations, it is Brodie Croyle.

everardteach said:
What DBs do you guys like in the 3rd round if we don't go that route in round 1?

A couple of guys that I'm looking at as possibilities in the third round are Marcus Maxey from Miami and Derrick Martin from Wyoming. Both are excellent athletes who are getting third to fourth round grades right now. On draft day, I think both will end up in the third round because I am anticipating a run on defensive backs at some point.

Maxey has impressive size at around 6'2", 200 lbs. He tested out very well after having a great season for Miami this year, his first as a starter. I really respect the defensive backs that come out of that Miami program, because the coaches there know how to get a DB ready to play in the NFL. He's not quite as good of a prospect as Kelly Jennings, mainly because Maxey is as raw as a baby's bottom with a rash, but he has a great deal of potential.

Derrick Martin is one of the top athletes at the cornerback position in the draft. He doesn't have Maxey's height, but he has very good size nontheless. Martin is 5'11", 200 lbs, and he tested out extremely well at the combine. Not many know about him because he played at Wyoming. I'm interested in seeing a bit more film on him myself.

Daniel Manning from Abilene Christian is a small school guy who will probably settle in somewhere in the third round. I haven't seen film on this guy yet, but CK has. From talking to CK, Daniel didn't distinguish himself very much. A lot of people like him though because of his size, around 5'11", 210 lbs, and his speed (4.4).

There could be good value at the safety position in the third round area. I really like Roman Harper from Alabama. I don't know that he fits what the Dolphins want to do, because he's not a stand out when it comes to coverage. What he is though is a very solid safety that has great instincts and tackles very well. He makes plays on the ball in a short area, but I think he's going to have some trouble defending down the field in the NFL.

Marcus Hudson from North Carolina State is an interesting prospect that could project as a safety or a cornerback, as he has played both in the past. He reminds me a little bit of Madieu Williams who plays free safety with the Bengals. He's got very good ball skills and good size (6'1", 197 lbs).

KB,Boomer and ck I've learned so much just reading your posts I would like to say thanks to you all. I voted for the $5 options.

xDOLPHINSx said:
You guys have basically changed my life, lol. I am a HUGE fan of the Dolphins and football in general. I live in MN so i dont have any one to talk with about the Dolphins. This year i found this site and i have loved it since. Getting info about draft situations gets me soooo pumped for the season. I voted with the 60% basically because i dont have a credit card just yet (just turned 18), and i was figuring thats how you would do it. But if this is for next year (I didn't scroll down and read that part) I would totally be up for paying you guys. I think i have read every page of the "Ask Boomer Thread." Its hard to say what i would prefer tho, the weekly e-mail sounds interesting, but I like how we get to ask you guys questions, so maybe the Q&A thing would be better. Maybe a combo of the two, emails based on the things you guys want to say and your strong opinions, and then a VIP Q&A forum where we get to ask questions. $5-$10 seems pretty reasonable for both of these. Seriously, the "Ask Boomer Thread" has made me very excited in the offseason, in which I'm not used too. Any way, keep up the great work, I love hearing what you guys have to say about our Dolphins.

Ok time for a question. Do you think Will Poole can start next year, and how will he perform? I liked him when he was a rookie, but will he be able to recover from that injury? Do we possibly have our starting cb's right now in Daniels and Poole? I don't see how Cromartie (im hoping) could come in and start over either of them.

thanks again guys, the offseason has a whole new meaning. :)

Thanks for the comments, and that is a very good question.

Will Poole can flat out play!! If any of you remember some of Boomer's work before the 2004 draft, he had Will Poole rated as the #1 cornerback in that entire draft. Miami got him in the 4th round because some teams took him off their board for some off the field issues he had in the past. He also didn't have a great forty time because he was sick with the flu when he worked out for the NFL scouts. I thought he was one of the top rookie defensive backs in the NFL during his rookie season. He played very well in the nickle sets and when he got the opportunity to start for an injured Patrick Surtain. Will Poole is a playmaker in the secondary. He's got great instincts and ball skills, and he's got excellent quickness. He is also a very physical player that will flat out hit you.

So yes, the Dolphins could very well have their starting cornerbacks in the fold right now with Will Poole and Travis Daniels.

first of all thanks for all the infos that you guys have donated here in finheaven. I enjoy reading all the insights that all 3 of you contributed. For maketing purposed i have voted for 2 and 5.

DBs I have been studying for late day one to early day two would be:

CB Derrick Martin
CB DeMario Minter
CB Anwar Phillips
CB Josh Lay
CB Marcus Maxey
CB Darrell Hunter
S Roman Harper
S/CB Marcus Hudson
S Calvin Lowery

Out of the group who do you see with the most potential? I like Maxey and Minter's physical numbers. I like Marcus Hudson's value in the 4th round area with his ability to multiple positions. Another guy that tends to get overlooked is Lowery. Where do you guys feel he will land round wise?

Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Theres my vote.

BB

KB21 is a 28 year old genius medical student. He's seen more A's on the report card than your local asian community.

AWESOME!!! Great to know I am not the only knowledgeable science enthusiast on this board!! I will now make it a point to examine more of your threads KB21!! If I had not started college so late, I too would have probably gone the med school route, but i want to start a family before entering my midlife crisis, so i have opted for optometry instead. Anytime you want to chat about science/medicine/dolphins football, you just let me know, I would be more than happy to oblige! FINS RULE!!!:hi5:

I like the idea of a structured draft assessment. Several of the options listed I would pay for and I voted accordingly. You guys are a major part of finheaven....I don't always agree w/ you but I always respect your effort and learn much from your research.

Do it......

Fellas

I've read some stuff on Reggie McNeil and everything points to him being a monster QB in this league, however no one is really talking about him. What round do you think he'll go and do you think most teams has him slotted as a WR?

Before we landed Culpepper I was hoping that we could land him in the 2nd or 3rd rd. I guess now it's not much of a need unless we convert him to a wr. I just thinks it's a waste though since he can throw, has the size and can run like the wind. Do you think he's not getting any pub as a result of Vick sortcomings?

rhadaddy said:
I've read some stuff on Reggie McNeil and everything points to him being a monster QB in this league, however no one is really talking about him. What round do you think he'll go and do you think most teams has him slotted as a WR?

Before we landed Culpepper I was hoping that we could land him in the 2nd or 3rd rd. I guess now it's not much of a need unless we convert him to a wr. I just thinks it's a waste though since he can throw, has the size and can run like the wind. Do you think he's not getting any pub as a result of Vick sortcomings?

CK is a big fan of Reggie who certainly proved some doubters wrong in the All Star game. There have been a number of rumours that the Texans will select him as highly as the 33rd pick. To me that's a reach, but if anyone can, Kubiak can. We shall see. i think teams would rather see if he can play QB before precipitating any move to WR.

rhadaddy said:

I'm not as high on him as CK is, but I do think that when you compare the pure quarterbacking skills of Reggie McNeal to those of Vince Young, you will see a better quarterback in Reggie McNeal.

However, at around 6'2", 205 lbs, I see him moving to wide receiver in the NFL. I think most teams do as well.

I know that you guys are draft gurus but I have a Question about Renaldo Hill, I saw in another web site that he will be the starting strong safety, do you see playing in that position or he will replace Madison as a CB? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom