Draft Day Warning | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Day Warning

FinFan57 said:
The biggest difference this year is Nick is in charge. No more wannyball!
That certainly makes me a lot more comfortable. Yes, we hit on Randy McMichael and that was a good example you gave. But, I can also remember being at the Draft Party at Pro Player and hearing Jamar Fletcher's name being announced and we all went crazy. We knew he was a bad pick and we were right. Same thing when we heard Eddie Moore and everybody shouted, "Who the hell is Eddie Moore?" Not to mention giving up our 2nd pick to New England, which they in turn picked up Corey Dillon with, and we then took Wade "turnstile" Smith. We all knew that draft sucked and we were right. It does feel a lot different now with Saban though.

Supposedly, Saban is a great evaluator of talent. I can't wait to see who he picks. I haven't been this excited about our draft in many years.

I hear you and agree. I guess its a fine line thats tough to express in words. I remember I too was VERY disappointed after we picked Fletcher and Moore.

I think those picks were especially painful since we had very obvious needs in those drafts (OL and WR), yet neglected them for other players. Oftentimes, its hard to accept the FO's decision, especially after all the hours that "We the Fans" put into analyzing and evakluating the draft. Still, past experience has taught me to try and be as acquiescent as possible until I actually see these guys play in a Dolphin uniform for myself.

I hope we get at least one late rounder that I've heard of!

I remember the 2002 draft here.. Every pick was like, "WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY!/1/!?!?" lol..Oh, and who could forget the chaos in 2003 when Eddie Moore was picked.. :lol:

well said. I think the reason everyone complained about Wanny and Spielman's drafts (besides the fact that most of them were horrible) is we beasically always drafted the same type of player. We would always draft atleast 1 cb each year, and usually an LB and a tweener between an LB/S. And whenever they decided to draft a need like, OL or DT, it was late in the draft and you never heard about the guy after minicamp.

I remember last year alot of people complained about drafting Will Poole because he was a corner, but I thought that was a pick we had to make. When he played last year Poole looked pretty good. I also remember everybody praying we would draft PK Sam with one of our 2 6th rounders. As it turns out we traded both 6ths rounders to move up and draft Rex Hadnot, which as of last year didn't look too bad.

If we draft a CB or an LB on Day 1 (most likely round 3), I won't be disappointed as long as it's Kirk Morrison(LB) or Durrant Williams/Corey Webster(CB)

Didn't Spielman also make a trade that got us Tony Bua and Derrick Pope? Or were those original picks.

Wade Smith will get his shot at Center and if he does well then it looks like Spielman made a good call.

If Eddie Moore gets a shot and can stay healthy him and Derrick Pope look to be a big force in the NFL together.

Trust me I am not trying to defend Spielman. Just that so many players take time to develop. I mean, how many of these guys, specifically O-line last year looked horrendous then after Bates took over they looked better. Every single one of our offensive lineman improved through Bates.

Think of this projected line
Mcintosh/Carey
James
Smith
Hadnot
Mcdougle

This line could very well be productive and 3/5 of it was drafted by Spielman.

I truly honestly believe players have a 3 year learning curve before you can say they were wasted picks or players. Took Drew Brees 4 years. I remember how awful he was before last year. Very few if any were still saying to "think we drafted Fletcher when we could have had Brees." Now all of a sudden, everyone is saying those same statements they made 5 years ago because Brees had 1 good season!!!

This is gonna be a fun draft. I trust that Saban knows more about every single one of these players then I do. I look forward to a new era in Dolphin Football.

I heard this morning on ESPN that NS has been working overtime trying to get Ricky to come back and suggested that dangling Smith's name out there is just smoke to get someone to bite. OK but fact is we need a QB and I don't believe that next year we'll have a shot at one. Smith is the way to go. Having said that, I think we all feel pretty good about the way that NS is handling everything so whatever he ends up doing will be good for the team. Draft day's gonna be fun. And by the way, it would be nice if KC would get off the pot and pony up a 2 for Surtain.

Surferosa said:
DRAFT DAY WARNING

All this draft talk has consumed us for the better part of three months. We are now familiar with hundreds of top prospects, watched game film, followed dozens of unsubstantiated rumors and tried to predict the end-game scenario for our beloved Dolphins.

WARNING: We are ALL going to be surprised by some, if not all, of the picks. On draft day you will find yourself saying "who the hell is that??" at least a few times, maybe more. It happens every year. That DOESNT mean that we are making bad picks. I remember several years ago FINHEAVEN went absolutely berserk when Spielman picked an unknown TE named Randy McMichael in the fourth round, when everyone wanted U of Miami Guard Martin Bibla. :lol: Aside from not "needing" a TE, most people simply never heard of McMichael. He wasnt ranked in the top 20 by many draft pundits, and the result was utter chaos on the board.

Point is, dont be so quick to criticize. I for one am level-headed enough to know that I dont hold a candle compared to the knowedge of Saban and his scouts, and therefore I will reserve judgment until I am better informed. Just wanted to say this NOW, before the draft, rather then try and calm the fiery dispositions of some of our more "temperamental" posters after the fact. :lol:
Good post...I also recall when we drafted some guy named Marino 27th in the first round in 83' fins fans booed.I think he turned out ok dont you??

Well said Surf... I still there is still going to be chaos on this mb after the draft. ONE way or another, some are going to be really disappointed in who is drafted (some want a WR, some a QB, some a RB).

NO matter who is drafted some will be upset and come to vent. That being said, I have faith in Saban's plan... Definitely more than the previous regime.

Good points by everyone one this thread! Thank God Wanny is gone and Spielman doesn't have the final say. I am from Toledo Ohio and have followed Saban since he was the head coach here @ UT. We are in very good hands and should rest assured that we will be getting the best possible players for OUR TEAM at every pick!!! This man has brought success and fullfilled potential everywhere he has been. Hell look what he has done for the entire psyche of this organization in a matter of months!

I can still remember everybody's reaction to each pick last year.

Vernon Carey- We traded up?!? Why?!? We must be picking Wilfork. Carey?!? WTF did we trade up to draft him?!?

Will Poole-A Cornerback?!? Wait is this Will Poole from USC? How did he fall to the 4th? We got the the steal of the draft.

Tony Bua-Who the ()&)&%^* is Tony Bua?

Rex Hadnot-Did they say Rex Hardnuts?

Tony Pape-He fits a need

Derrick Pope-Why another LB?

The funniest had to be when Eddie Moore was picked 2 years ago, I heard them say from the University of Tennessee, and everybody thought Kelly Washington. Man I've never seen so many people upset in my life :lol:

This thread basically boils down to... don't boo anyone at the draft like the eagles did mcnabb. Have faith in the coaching staff that they know what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom