Draft notes from 70's Steelers

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
thedayafter said:
I laugh at this one.

Jack Youngblood, defensive tackle, Florida (6-4, 242)
[From junior year] I feel Jack is a sure thing to make our club. However, I don’t feel he’s a sure thing to help us. … Doesn’t dominate his teammates in scrimmages. … Showed good lateral pursuit, not stiff at all. … I felt his pass rush was ordinary. … Low blocks tie him up but he won’t have that problem with us. … The best I saw him was a little OT he played in a drill. … Very raw and would have to be taught an awful lot to help us. … I was starting to question his meanness until he handled a fellow pretty well in a fight during a scrimmage.
Projection: Make roster and contribute; fifth-, sixth-round pick
He was a skinny guy in college but he bulked up and was an All-Pro DE for the Rams for many years.Even the best talent evaluators miss some.

BTW we are going to have on the torrents a 1973 MNF Matchup between the SB Dolphins against the Steelers who already had the foundation for their dynasty.The Dolphins taught them what it takes to be a champion and the message must have stuck because the Steelers never looked back after that.

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"Question his meaness"... Youngblood was an SOB on the field... played with a broken leg.....

I think these kinds of articles are great... the draft is a crap shoot... but the Steelers, Cowboys and early Dolphins got it right when it was gut feelings combined with road an film work....

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
thedayafter said:
"Question his meaness"... Youngblood was an SOB on the field... played with a broken leg.....

I think these kinds of articles are great... the draft is a crap shoot... but the Steelers, Cowboys and early Dolphins got it right when it was gut feelings combined with road an film work....
Yes thats right I remember now.He was part of that nasty Fearsome Foursome I think.:lol:

DNY

Active Roster
Reaction score
He wasn't a member of "The Fearsome Foursome" though I don't think..

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Crunch.... you are all over this... great work..... I loved the way the guy played....

Top Bottom