Draft Positioning Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Positioning Question

Zonkman

Starter
Reaction score
For the strength of scheduling calculation, does it benefit the Dolphins for their 2019 opponents to win, or to lose? I have seen conflicting information posted, and I would appreciate some clarity. Thanks!

For the strength of scheduling calculation, does it benefit the Dolphins for their 2019 opponents to win, or to lose? I have seen conflicting information posted, and I would appreciate some clarity. Thanks!
It is counter intuitive and I've messed it up too. If you have a better strenght of schedule it does not benefit you for a better draft. So if fins play a tougher sched than they fall to the later pick.

The way I remember it is this way...if you have the same record as another team with a stronger schedule, you suck more...netting you better draft position for potential "parity."

The way I remember it is this way...if you have the same record as another team with a stronger schedule, you suck more...netting you better draft position for potential "parity."
Team A and B are 2-14. Team A played a harder strenght of schedule than team B. Team B is worse. Team B gets the higher draft pick .

It is counter intuitive

The thing that used to get me years ago was head 2 head matchups. You’d think that when 2 teams are tied the team that lost the head 2 head would draft first. But no.

But the part that does make sense to me is the team with the easier SoS winning the tiebreaker.

The thing that used to get me years ago was head 2 head matchups. You’d think that when 2 teams are tied the team that lost the head 2 head would draft first. But no.

But the part that does make sense to me is the team with the easier SoS winning the tiebreaker.
Agreed. I think head to head should be the first factor in any tie breaker...but for some reason it isnt.

Yah, if it's gonna be the playoff tiebreaker I feel like they should keep it consistent with the draft too.

If Miami has an identical record with any team it is safe to assume the Dolphins will be picking after that team.

Currently the Dolphins will have 46-22 factored in to their SOS based on divisional play. The other two teams that are 2-9 like Miami (Washington and Giants) will have 26-42 factored into their SOS as of now for divisional play.

If Miami is serious about building through the draft it would definitely be in their best interest to not win another game this year.

Agreed. I think head to head should be the first factor in any tie breaker...but for some reason it isnt.
I think the reason for that is that they want to take into account what type of season both teams had with the 16 games each team played. Sometimes there's no head to head games tho the same can be said for the playoff tie breakers. Of course when it comes to playoff tie breakers there are 8 different tir breakers with the last one being a coin toss. It'd suck to not make the playoffs because you lost a coin toss.

Dallas/Buffalo is a good example. We went from 3rd pick to 4th yesterday with the Bills win. Even though we played Dallas this year, Washington has them twice and we have the Bills twice.

Dallas/Buffalo is a good example. We went from 3rd pick to 4th yesterday with the Bills win. Even though we played Dallas this year, Washington has them twice and we have the Bills twice.

I believe we already had the 4th pick prior to yesterday, yesterday just unfortunately furthered our SOS lead. Ultimately we want to lose our and for the jets/bills and pats to lose as much as possible. Also want the whole nfc east to win as much. Fortunately we still play the giants and eagles so we can add 4 games onto their SOS with losses. Also pray for a bengals miracle over the jets this week and then this thing really gets interesting because bengals have a very high SOS

Back
Top Bottom