Dude's Wed 6/2 Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dude's Wed 6/2 Camp Report

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Absent - #95 Bowens & #99 JT

The practice began with punting. Both Turk & #3 Jones were putting up wobbly ducks. Even though they were ugly, Turk was clearly the better kicker. He just has a cannon for a leg.

#86 Wilkins & #30 Russell were back fielding the punts. Wilkins was obviously the more polished returner of the two. He caught the ball right in the bread basket every time and immediately tucked it away then got his head up-field. Russell on the other hand tried to catch the ball with his hands, dropping 2 and bobbling a couple of others.

Wilkins continued to look good when he took some more reps after practice from the punting machine. Again, he had perfect form every time. It was also here watching the perfect punts by the machine that it was obvious how bad our two punters looked today.

It will be very interesting come cut time to see if DW & RS keep their word about reinvesting into special teams this year. Someone like Wilkins who has shown very little as a WR might actually get a roster spot as a pure PR/KR ahead of 3rd/4th string RB’s or WR’s. DW was watching the returners very closely.

That being said, Wilkins made the play of the day catching a great deep ball down the far sideline from Jay beating tight coverage. 35-40 yard gain.

After punting, they spent some time practicing shifting formations/adjusting. The O would line up in one formation then shift into another and the D would call out the changes and scramble to realign.

They also did my favorite drill today. The side-by-side QB drill. Here 2 QB’s and 2 WR’s line up and both run the same play simultaneously. Very interesting to see the different styles and compare. To be honest, I didn’t really see either QB stand out as great today. Jay was GOOD and Feeley was OK, with Fiedler getting the edge. The WR’s had a small case of the drops, but most of the throws were on target. I really think the fact JT was out was the main reason both QB’s had more completions today. There was nowhere near the rush there had been in past practices.

Jay’s first pass was a great strike on a quick slant to #80 Boston in front of #29 Madison. He had another nice completion to Chambers on a deep out in front of #22 Wooden. Also hit #85 Lee with a high but catchable pass on the move in a designed rollout. He looked bad on one play after getting in the way of #30 Russell after a handoff causing the play to be stopped for a loss – he patted his chest conceding it was his fault. The next rep, they ran the same play again and this time Russell showed good speed and bounced it outside for a nice 10 yard gain.

Feeley’s started off with a completion to #82 streaking across the middle. Also had a nice completion to Chambers across the middle. And looked good avoiding #96 Bowen’s rush hitting Minor on the move on another play.

Sage – got limited reps in the warm-up drills and didn’t get to throw v the D until the after the 1st & 2nd stringers went inside. I wasn’t watching too close, but it didn’t look like too man balls hit the ground.

#30 Russell – Didn’t look too good as a PR, also had a drop in a drill with no DB. Does look good running with the ball except one rep where he slipped to the ground after catching a screen from Feeley, but even there he quickly got up and gained a few yards. Very fast!

Seau – really impressed me today. Not with what he did on the field, as much as for the time he spent with #58 Moore, #57 Jenkins & #51 Bua teaching them and really making sure they got it. When he spoke… they listened! (Check the videos) He did have a great play, timing the snap perfectly and coming around the corner to get to Jay with an easy sack just swallowing him up.

They ran draw plays a lot and both RW and Minor looked good when there was room which wasn’t often. Minor had better luck bouncing a couple outside finding daylight.

RW – dropped an easy screen, but did have a few nice catches including a TD

#58 Moore – I haven’t heard it announced officially or anything, but I think he is back to full practice. It didn’t look like he was held back in any drills and looked fine running around. He moved well and shows no sign of the injury. He was involved in a few plays and made he presence felt.

#84 Chambers – another solid practice, several nice catches. He looks ready to start the season, catching everything thrown his way. 1 TD and one great one-handed catch

#82 Newson – had a few catches including 2 in a row from Feeley

#91 Williams – looked good and was in on several plays including stopping RW for no gain on a draw

#85 Lee – A few catches including an over the shoulder catch on a fade in the corner of the endzone from Feeley. Had another TD from Jay

#64 Chester – Looked like a WWF wrestling star picking up Minor and toying with body slamming him after he stopped him cold on a draw play.

#80 Boston – had a few catches but couldn’t come up with a tough one on a bad throw by Feeley at his feet. Didn’t see any drops though

#44 Konrad – looked good on one play catching a ball after releasing out of the backfield. Almost had a TD on a fade lob in the corner of the endzone from Feeley but #52 Greenwood made a great acrobatic jump and knocked the ball away.

#88 Thompson – Had a good catch reaching back for a ball thrown behind him by Fiedler, quiet otherwise

#19 Minnis – dropped 1 in the warm-up drill with no DB. Also very quiet

#50 Ayanbadejo – Had a nice practice getting involved in a few plays. His best was on one running play shooting into the backfield like a flash, getting Minor behind the line, then stripping the ball away as he tackled him. Great play!

#94 Romero – Back-to-back nice plays vs Feeley. 1st getting a coverage sack on him then batting the ball down at the line on the next play after Feeley starred down the WR from the snap

#24 Knight – Picked of Feeley and might have scored running the other way

#49 Jones (TE) – Dropped a TD from Feeley pass with #22 Wooden in coverage

#83 Simmons – two catches I saw. Grabbed a low throw from Feeley just in front of the goal line on one, and the other was a quick out from Sage late in the practice

#2 Works (RB) – got some looks late with a well run draw and a catch on a screen

Photos: Click here

Videos: Click here

I took some longer clips of video for those that requested it. I labeled them so the 56K’ers beware!

Enjoy!

outtawack311 said:
51 is not pope, its Bua
Yeah, I think the roster has them backwards... Bua is the white guy right?

Dude, we should be paying you for all this great coverage!

Thanks for the great report! BTW, could it be possible that the 2 punters were purposely punting the ball wobbly to give the returners practice at fielding those types of punts?

Great report Dude,
ONe question. When Feeley and Fiedler were throwing, was it 11vs11 or 7vs7? Meaning was there a line? If so did both players have the same oline? It seems that Feeley was facing more of a rush?

Back
Top Bottom